Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I have a spare PRS-300 kickin' around as a backup, so I'd be okay for a few days. But if my PRS-650 died today, I would immediately go buy a Kobo Touch. then I'd probably buy a nice new Sony when they release another one similar to the 650.
BTW, what's a pbook?
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #32
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
This is an interesting idea. If all my ereading device failed, how long would it take me to drag the boxes of books out from under the stairs? I don't think I've read a dtb since buying my 350 in January. Oddly enough my phone and Aldiko didn't impact dtb reading nearly as much as an e-ink reader.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #33
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
My ereader is broken and I need to buy a new one. I had never stopped reading DTBs so I have a huge assortment of hb and pb books to choose from. I also can read on my iPhone (I don't much, too small) and my computer (I keep a copy of calibre @ work and home).

If you want to meet a real bitch, keep me away from books for 2-3 days straight. I go through withdrawal.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
DoghouseReilley
DoghouseReilley began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PocketEdge; Motorola Droid2
When I was still reading on palmtop devices (usually Palm, but sometimes Windows-powered) there were a few spells between devices. In those cases my reading definitely suffered, because I tend to read whenever there are slack minutes to be filled- waiting for an appointment, on the john, riding the bus, etc. Many of those instances occur during my working hours when it isn't convenient to be toting a book. I did my best to make do with paperbacks, but it wasn't as convenient and was hellish wear on the books I carried!
DoghouseReilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #35
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I love to read books, and that is my main pleasure. I do like all the bonuses that a ebook reader brings to my life, but in no way does the gadget (the medium) replaces the love for reading (the essence).

If any of my ereaders die, and i can't replace it i will read a paper book without any problem. Actually, i already read some paper books at the same time. I still like the feel, the smell and the object, so now i have happily multiplied my love for books by two. Pbooks and ebook readers.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #36
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I couldn't go for a week without mine, I have some gift cards that I would use right away to get a new one.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #37
Caesius
Melancholy Clown
Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook Tablet (had Cruz SE & PDN's before)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
my ereader made me appreciate pbooks more. is that strange? o_o
I get it. I don't think I had as strong an opinion on the subject until I got my own eReader. Then I actually came to feel a bit protective of pbooks. Now, the eReader certainly changed my reading habits, that's for sure. I was reading in more places and more often than before. It was no longer an event. I no longer had to cut out a chunk of time. I suppose that is why I wasn't transitioning as well as many, after my eReader died. It isn't like I am just moving from one format to the other. I may actually be relating one format with a specific way of reading. The pbook experience was a "sit down comfortably, nice music, steal away some time for myself" type of read. A totally Taster's Choice commercial. Whereas the ereader made the reading (still w/the music) a non-event. It could happen whenever and wherever I wanted with little to no fuss at all. I didn't even have to think beforehand what I wanted to read. They were all right there. So, the moment I had the opportunity to read, THAT was when I'd pick the material and have at it.

So, I'm seeing now that there really was a big difference in the way I read, not just the format.

Last edited by Caesius; 07-26-2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: To edit. Yup.
Caesius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #38
Caesius
Melancholy Clown
Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Caesius is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
My Android tablet died, and I just shifted to reading on my iPhone and from my physical book collection.
eBT, would you mind sharing your experience of shifting to your iPhone, for however long it was? The screen size not an issue for you? How about the constant page turning because of the screen size? That sort of takes me out of the story and that is likely my biggest complaint. It is like turning over a record, or when we used to listen to 8 track tapes and in the middle of a song it would stop a second, switch tracks, then resume.

This has been one of my problems. I have an iPod Touch and I actually like iBooks, for the most part. So, I keep taking that with me in the constant hope that "it will do for now." But then I find myself just a bit unsatisfied, having come from a 7" screen. And making the font larger gives me less to read per page, so I try to go smaller. But perhaps it is simply something I need to just get used to, perhaps I am not giving it a chance.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #39
Caesius
Melancholy Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I also can read on my iPhone (I don't much, too small) and my computer (I keep a copy of calibre @ work and home).
I never enjoyed reading at length on the computer. Oddly enough, I could bounce about for hours reading various things on line. But when there is something of serious length (series of documents on PDF, short story, novel, etc.) then I would transfer it to the eReader -- and before I even had that I would actually print the material, then read it. Bit of a contradiction there, but aren't we all?
Thanks again for the discussion.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I think this needs a poll. In my personal case I would buy a new reader as soon as possible but I also have an iPad as a backup for my prs-505 so I guess I would survive.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #41
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesius View Post
I never enjoyed reading at length on the computer. Oddly enough, I could bounce about for hours reading various things on line. But when there is something of serious length (series of documents on PDF, short story, novel, etc.) then I would transfer it to the eReader -- and before I even had that I would actually print the material, then read it. Bit of a contradiction there, but aren't we all?
Thanks again for the discussion.
Whats funny.... is before I got my nook color, I would sit at my desk with my feet up ... and read on my phone instead of my computer that was with in arms reach. I think it might be the angle or something... not sure never thought about it till now.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #42
Caesius
Melancholy Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
I think this needs a poll. In my personal case I would buy a new reader as soon as possible but I also have an iPad as a backup for my prs-505 so I guess I would survive.
I actually considered that when I was writing the initial post. I noticed the option. But it is the very first thread I have started myself, so I am not entirely sure how to go about adding the poll now that we've gotten rolling. I will do some clicking here and there.

Tags
broken, question, reading, trivial