Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #91
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Wow!! You have REALLY short weeks in the Netherlands!!
Unfortunately not, but I had some spare time and this was actually a lot easier than than I expected. Some small quirks though. Ranges work differently for bookmarks (sigh...).

Then again, I said later this week...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #92
steppe
Enthusiast
steppe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (broke), Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Fixed. The first error is a simple one and was easy to fix. It actually doesn't matter how many links are in the document.
Thanks. Now the macro completes the job successfully, but one tiny detail is unfinished: the references miss the # sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
With regards to your last screenshot. You cannot delete the macro from there. The macro contains many routines and functions. If you need to delete the macro, you need to enter the VBA editor (the edit button or Alt-F11). There you can remove the file.
Oh I see. Removed the old macro successfully now.
steppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #93
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppe View Post
Thanks. Now the macro completes the job successfully, but one tiny detail is unfinished: the references miss the # sign
Have I said before I never used them? Silly mistake and solved in the version of the startpost. Only the addition of 5 characters... If you don't want to download again, you can change the following line:
Code:
addr = hyper.SubAddress 'internal hyperlink
in:
Code:
addr = "#" & hyper.SubAddress 'internal hyperlink
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #94
steppe
Enthusiast

It's all good now. Thanks a lot, Tox, for your patience and hard work.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #95
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Advice with preparing Word document.

Hi Toxaris and all other ePub experts

Could you give a newbie a little guidance please.

I would like to start creating eBooks commencing with a 120 page family history I have put together which consists of text and images. As a complete newbie I would like to do it the best I can without getting into any bad habits from the start.

I have done a couple of the w3 courses and Pablo's tutorial and whilst I still have no experience with HTML, etc. I think I have sufficient understanding of the concepts to give it a go and at least know what questions I will need to ask as I go along.

Currently I have the raw final manuscript in MSWord (2007) format with no images inserted. (I also have the printed version of the book which was printed by an online publisher.)

I also have Sigil and Toxaris's macro downloaded and ready to go but am still a little confused about the best way to prepare my Word document for import to Sigil. More accurately it is not clear to me how far I should go with formatting in my Word document before running Toxaris's macro and moving over to Sigil.

After researching this forum my plan of attack is:

1. Strip the Word document of the minimal formatting it contains (including blank lines between paragraphs.

2. Format paragraphs in Word (No indent, small blank space between para's, justified) using custom named style.

3. Insert images and captions in Word.

4. Run Toxaris's macro and open resulting HTML file in Sigil.

5. Attend to metadata, headers, cover, TOC, splitting chapters in Sigil.

6. Produce ePub.

7. Convert ePub to other formats in Calibre.

So before I make a start I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions regarding my proposed approach as my ignorance may well mean I am wide of the mark.

Regards
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #96
Toxaris
Wizard

Sounds about right. A couple of pointers though. If you have blank lines between sections, you can leave the blank line. It will be converted to a blank line. You can also use a placeholder there if you want it later to be done by margins.
Don't forget that the macro will not create a stylesheet, but a reference to it. If the names in the stylesheets are the same as in Word, the references are correct.
Check the images afterwards, sometimes something goes wrong with the numbering, probably something typical Word. I personally place the pictures in Sigil.
Take note that there is almost no way to force captions on the same page as the picture. At least not a method supported by all readers.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #97
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can try to force images onto the same page as the caption by putting them in a paragraph together. But you can create a problem with it bleeding over onto the next page that way, because the whole thing is too big for a page.

If they must stay together, use your graphics program and put them on the picture. But this lacks flexibility, is a lot of work and may not be appropriate for some pictures. However, it does have a sort of old-time appeal. They used to write the date and so on right on the picture in a number of older ones I have seen.

Since it seems primarily for your family's use, whatever you choose should govern.

You might want to consider how you would add pictures which are offered to you of members in earlier stages of your book once members of your family have seen it and how you would add pictures of the next generation and beyond, if this is to be an ongoing thing.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #98
Big Kev
Enthusiast

Adding Captions to Images

Hi Toxaris & mrmikel

Thanks for the comments. I will now make a start with some comfort that at least I am on the right track. I'm sure there will be more questions as I progress.

With regard to the images I thought that there may have been a problem with captions. Whilst it will mean a little extra work I think your suggestion of adding the caption to the image is the safest way to go.

As you indicated this is easily done with appropriate graphics software and for those who don't like the look of the caption in the original image you can always locate it outside the original image and create a new image. Like in the attached example which shows both options.

Adding images to this particular book won't be a problem as it's specific subject matter will not require any further images. Notwithstanding it does have a family photo album at the end which lends itself to future additions if necessary.

Thanks again for the advice
Regards
Kevin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageCaption.png
Views:	258
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	103784

Well I certainly stuffed that up, I'll have to learn how to insert images properly. Notwithstanding I think you get the point. The "Boy Tom" below the image actually has a transparent background so it appears as a caption normally would in a book. It doesn't show well when enlarged here as the default background seems to be black which obviously doesn't go to well with black text. Now I'm going to leave it alone before I muck it up any more.

Last edited by Big Kev; 04-01-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Correcting image attachment for better view.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One parting shot is to preview what you are doing on the likely device they will be using and try changing text sizes or anything else that is adjustable to make sure you are happy with it. None of the readers or software is perfect, so you don't to stumble on one of the oddities of the particular device.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #100
Big Kev
Enthusiast

Hi mrmikel

Thanks for that. Thought that would be the final step.

Regards
Kevin
Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #101
steppe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
7. Convert ePub to other formats in Calibre.
If you wish to convert to the Kindle format, IMO, the best course of action is to upload your EPUB file directly to KDP. This will give you Amazon-generated .mobi file in the "Downloadable Previewer," which you can publish as your final Kindle book.

Calibre produces .mobi files that can be rejected by KDP, especially if you try the new AZW3 format. The old MOBI format (KF6) generated by Calibre is less likely to be rejected, but I have seen enough formatting problems with this sort of .mobi files on the KDP Formatting forum to not recommend this method for publishing on KDP.

Last edited by steppe; 04-20-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #102
steppe
Enthusiast

some possible problems

Hi again.

Thanks for this great macro, it helped me immensely during my last ebook project.

When I run the Macro in Word 2010, I click either "No" or "Cancel" for all questions except the last one "Save HTML?" where I click "Yes".

I seem to be having the following problems with the Macro:

1) unordered lists are converted to ordered lists

2) some paragraphs fail to convert, and become a simple hard return (new line) in HTML code

3) page breaks are ignored; I find that the best way to code a page break for Kindle books is
<br style="page-break-after:always;" />
because it produces an empty line in the "Click to LOOK INSIDE" feature on Amazon.com.

4) Word's non-breaking spaces (Ctrl+Shift+Space) are not converted to &nbsp;

Am I doing something wrong with the Macro? Would it be possible to fix some of those issues?

Just in case, I am attaching a test file, with the problem areas highlighted in bubblegum pink color.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Toxaris test files.zip (46.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #103
Toxaris
Wizard

Ad 1. The lists might be a typo, will check that one out.
Ad 2. I hope that there are examples in the test files, otherwise I would need some examples.
Ad 3. Correct. That is intentional, since a page break does not make a lot of sense and post activities are required anyway. You need to do splitting etc. later on anyway. No intention in changing this. Also a lot of readers can act funny on the <br /> tag.
Ad 4. Probably, I never use those. Will check it out, should not be a big issue.

I will look into it, perhaps an update later today or tomorrow. I am working on a big project right now, an Word Add-in with a lot of helpful procedures, including this one. No messing around with Macro's anymore.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #104
Toxaris
Wizard

Looked at it. Number 1 will be a pickle. I hit some Word strangeness. Every type of list is regarded the same in VBA, so it seems that there is no way to make distinction. That would be a real bummer, but I do no tend to give up yet.
Number 2 is caused by the fact that you sometimes have a 'space enter'. The way the routine is built up, will actually cause that it will not be seen. I will remove spaces before enters.
Number 3 will not be implemented.
Number 4 is implemented in my version already, that one was easy.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #105
steppe
Enthusiast

Thanks, Tox. Much appreciated.

Tags
ebook tools