Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #46
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Chandler spent many of his early years in England. His spelling is at times more British than American. I wonder if his years in rainy England brought his experience of California into stellar relief.

In any case, Chandler gets my vote. He is F. Scott Fitzgerald with bullets and just as much liquor. Must one be an alcoholic to be a genius author in America (or anywhere)?

I think the Long Goodbye takes the prize. I must try Hammett, but I find it hard to believe he is in the same league as Chandler. He transcended the genre. His characterization and description are sublime. Bloody dense read at times.
Chandler is not particularly to my taste but I agree that he is a great writer.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #47
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd find it impossible to choose one, but if I had to pick the best author of mysteries, for me it would probably be Dorothy L. Sayers. Her "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are my favourite crime novels as a series
I tend to agree.

If one wants to take another perspective on european crime writing in the 1930s:

Friedrich Glauser
(1896 to 1938) wrote some neat stories about "Wachtmeister Studer", a fictional swiss policeman from Bern. The german texts are out of copyright and have been added to the Patricia Clark Memorial Library here on MR by mtravellerh.

As far as I can see there are ebooks of english translations of "Wachtmeister Studer" ("Thumbprint") and "Der Chinese" ("The Chinaman") over at amazon.

Mind you, I don't know if they "work" as translations, as the originals derive some of their feel by occasional use of the local language. But the way Glauser develops his stories and characters should work alright.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Chandler is not particularly to my taste but I agree that he is a great writer.
Chandler wrote mostly good scenes, with not so much of a plot to hold them together.
A large part of his short stories, even if not connected between them, ended up as chpaters in his longer novels.

The short stories are better than the full novels, IMHO.

Back to the OP's question:

For mysteries, I really love Georges Simenon and Ellery Queen.
I also think that Asimov's Caves of Steel is a very good mystery novel, at least in the Si-Fi genre.

If I was requested to write a "best of the century" list, I'd manage to include also:

Jack and Jill and Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson
The Coffin Dancer and The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver
The Millennium Trilogy (at least the first instalment) by Stieg Larsson
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (which will be included in the best Historical Fiction, too)

Last edited by Format C:; 06-28-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #49
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
exactly! peter, harriet, peter's family and his inspector feel like people you might know. agatha christie's characters never feel that fully fleshed to me.

i've read some ngaios. my favorite is probably "black as he's painted", despite its typical period racism. i love two of the characters - i found them delightful. i like all the earlier ones, actually, and would probably start with artists in crime rather than black as he's painted.

Quote:
That's one reason that I prefer Dorothy L. Sayers; her characters feel like "real people", rather than Agatha Christie's 2-dimensional ones.

Has anyone read Ngaio Marsh? I haven't read any of her books. How does she compare with Sayers and Christie?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #50
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Cheers, Harry! That's what makes a horse race.

Murder Must Advertise, without Mary Sue Vane, is my favorite, also.

Of Sayers, Christie and Marsh, can I put in a plug for Josephine Tey?
+1 for Josephine Tey. I was going to list her "Daughter of Time" as one of my favorite mysteries. But is it the best of the 20th century? I'm not qualified to say. I know that it is for me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #51
rosevinecats
Kindle Lover
rosevinecats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The best crime/mystery novel of the Twentieth Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
+1 for Josephine Tey. I was going to list her "Daughter of Time" as one of my favorite mysteries. But is it the best of the 20th century? I'm not qualified to say. I know that it is for me.
Also for me
rosevinecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #52
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Well, if it has to be a novel, I'd vote for Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Not usually thought of in this genre, but it does fit and it is a book that continues to reverberate across the literary world.

However, why go the novel route when there are so many real-life crime and mystery events that have been written about. How about, for example, these three:
  • Honor Killing by David Stannard, which is about the killing of a native Hawaiian in the 1930s by the people who framed the boy for rape (needless to say, whites). Story involves the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Congress, Hawaiian royalty and more. Clarence Darrow to the defense.
  • Sacco and Vanzetti: The Men, the Murders, and the Judgement of Mankind by Bruce Watson. Sacco and Vanzetti were anarchists but did they really do the crime for which they were executed.
  • The Trial of The Scottsboro Boys by David Aretha. Framed for rape and convicted. A tragedy of justice.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great - I see that Amazon sell all of Josephine Tey's books. Now definitely on my "to read" list!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Great - I see that Amazon sell all of Josephine Tey's books. Now definitely on my "to read" list!
For those in 50+ public domain countries, Josephine Tey's novels are available here at MR.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #55
rosevinecats
Kindle Lover

Smile Josephine Tey downloads

Quote:
For those in 50+ public domain countries, Josephine Tey's novels are available here at MR.
I have downloaded them all from MR to my kindle with no problems.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Alas, the UK is a "life+70" country, so I shall be honest and buy them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #57
rosevinecats
Kindle Lover

Quote:
Alas, the UK is a "life+70" country, so I shall be honest and buy them.
I believe Josephine Tey left her estate to the National Trust so hope they will get something from the sales.

Last edited by rosevinecats; 06-29-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #58
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Well, if it has to be a novel, I'd vote for Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Not usually thought of in this genre, but it does fit and it is a book that continues to reverberate across the literary world.

However, why go the novel route when there are so many real-life crime and mystery events that have been written about. How about, for example, these three:
  • Honor Killing by David Stannard, which is about the killing of a native Hawaiian in the 1930s by the people who framed the boy for rape (needless to say, whites). Story involves the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Congress, Hawaiian royalty and more. Clarence Darrow to the defense.
  • Sacco and Vanzetti: The Men, the Murders, and the Judgement of Mankind by Bruce Watson. Sacco and Vanzetti were anarchists but did they really do the crime for which they were executed.
  • The Trial of The Scottsboro Boys by David Aretha. Framed for rape and convicted. A tragedy of justice.
Maybe we should have a true crime thread .
Plenty of great crime nonfiction out there-often more interesting than the fictional stuff. I'll take the liberty of posting your examples on the Nonfiction Recommendations Thread, if you don't object.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #59
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
If you like "puzzle mysteries," try anything by John Dickson Carr, who also wrote under the name Carter Dickson.

But of course, that deviates from the thread topic.

So...Anatomy of a Murder by Robert Traver. Unfortunately, not in ebook.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Shame the TV series is so bad really.
But regardless of the TV series, the books are really good.

There are some major glaring errors in the TV series. Rizzoli is a blond and Isles has black hair. So they have the wrong people playing the parts just on character descriptions alone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote