Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #76
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

My short list:

The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky
David Copperfield (my favorite by Dickens)
Pretty much any of Shakespeare's tragedies and historical plays.

The books I find I read over at least once a year though are Seven Japanese Tales by Tanizaki and some of Kafka's short to medium length stories, including The Metamorphosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
For my one classic, I guess I will say To Kill a Mockingbird, which I loved as a young adult and I would like to re-read it. But now I'm afraid to, for fear I won't like it!

eP
I just read To Kill a Mockingbird once more a few months ago and it was still excellent.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #77
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
I finally read Les Miserables a few months ago b/c I'd always wanted to. My less than thrilling reaction to Hugo's other most famous book The Hunchback of Notre Dame should have forewarned me. I finished the entire, unabridged book, just so I could say I'd done it (and b/c I wondered what all the hype was from all the people who raved over the musical). The long, boring acct of Waterloo was on the first of MANY such side trips, none of which need to be in the book. An especially memorable one is the 100 pages detailing the history of the Parisian sewer system, when the only thing you need to know is that Valjean walked through the sewers to escape. I'd begun the book as an audiobook but quickly switched to e-book so I could at least skim those sections and know where to start focusing again. This is the only book I've ever read that I can totally and wholeheartedly recommend reading an abridged version!
However, the preface is short, sweet, and gets right to the point!! My favorite preface!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #78
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Alice's Adventures
The Time Machine
Notes from the Underground
Metamorphosis
Lilith
The Pearl
....... just to name a few.

+ Anything by Poe or Lovecraft.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne

My favorite book and author of all time,
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #80
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Three Musketeers
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #81
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I really like Anna Karenina, but I don't think I could go past Jane Austen, probably Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice or Mansfield Park.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #82
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
War and Peace.

If I could add a few others, I'd also include Wuthering Heights, Portrait of a Lady and Robinson Crusoe. It's an eclectic four, but these classics have impacted me the most so far.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #83
techmobby
techmobby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Think and grow rich
How to win friends and influence people
The Science of getting rich
Does The Bible count?
techmobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #84
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmobby View Post
Think and grow rich
How to win friends and influence people
The Science of getting rich
Does The Bible count?
I'd think the Bible would count. From what I understand even those not of the faith are known to read it for its stories. And it certainly is old enough to count as a Classic I'd think being as it's over 2000 yrs old. Whether it counts as fiction or non-fiction is another topic for another thread (and I imagine there have been a number of such threads here and elsewhere)
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #85
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne

My favorite book and author of all time,
Verne did get a good number of things right, though not all of course. I don't think that takes anything away from the appeal of his writings though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #86
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Alice's Adventures
The Time Machine
Notes from the Underground
Metamorphosis
Lilith
The Pearl
....... just to name a few.

+ Anything by Poe or Lovecraft.
Oh, I love Lilith, as well as many other of MacDonald's writings but this one is my favorite. I just happened to download it the other day to put on my reader. I originally listened to it from Librivox, very good reading there.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #87
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I wish I could read in French. I know from experience that a good translation of Dumas makes *all* *the* *difference*. Now if I could only remember which translation of CoMC I read in high school...The best Three Musketeers was the one my mom had from college (back in the early 60's). My daughter has run off with it, so I can't tell anyone which one it was now. I'll give everyone this tip though: If you're not laughing by the third page, get a different one. The Three Musketeers is hilarious, which fact serves to offset the tragedy of the story.
Hm... maybe I should give this book another chance. A specific translation you, or anyone else can recommend? Preferably available here on MobileRead or from another free host?

ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #88
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
Hard to pick one

The Castle, Kafka
The Idiot, Dostoyevsky
Don Quixote, Cervantes
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I wish I could read in French. I know from experience that a good translation of Dumas makes *all* *the* *difference*. Now if I could only remember which translation of CoMC I read in high school...The best Three Musketeers was the one my mom had from college (back in the early 60's). My daughter has run off with it, so I can't tell anyone which one it was now. I'll give everyone this tip though: If you're not laughing by the third page, get a different one. The Three Musketeers is hilarious, which fact serves to offset the tragedy of the story.
But why only read "The Three Musketeers"? It's only a small part of the much, MUCH larger "D'Artagnan Romances", the whole of which you'll find here at MR.

To quote from my own description of the books:

Quote:
Everyone is familiar with The Three Musketeers, thanks to the many movies which have been made of this book, some of them sharing little more than the name in common with the actual book

What some people may be unaware of is that The Three Musketeers is merely the first (small) part of a set of three books called, as a whole, the D'Artagnan Romances, which collectively tell the life story of D'Artagnan, who appears as a young man in The Three Musketeers. The book is, like its main protagonist, of truly heroic proportions. If you think that War and Peace or The Lord of the Rings would be quite good if only they were longer, this is the series for you .

This gets a bit complicated, so pay attention (there will be a test at the end)...

The D'Artagnan Romances consists of three books:

1. The Three Musketeers.
2. Twenty Years After (set 20 years after The Three Musketeers).
3. The Vicomte de Bragelonne (set 10 years after part 2 - ie 30 years after The Three Musketeers).

OK, so far, so good. Where it gets complicated is that the final book in the series is a truly gargantuan work, and is generally published split into either 3, 4, or 5 separate volumes. This edition uses the four volume version, and these four volumes are called, respectively:

3a. The Vicomte de Bragelonne.
3b. Ten Years Later.
3c. Louise de la Valliere.
3d. The Man in the Iron Mask.

Where things get complicated is that The Vicomte de Bragelonne can refer to either the whole of this third book, or just to the first volume of it. Moreover, it is subtitled Ten Years Later, so once again this title can refer to the whole book or just the second volume of it. Finally, just to confuse matters, The Man in the Iron Mask is often printed as a "self-contained" novel, and can be split up in quite a different manner from the 4-part split described above.

Phew...

Hope that's clear to everyone .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #90
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for that, Harry. I never realized that this was all of a set. And thanks for all the work you've done getting here for us in such good shape. A lot of work on your part, and I just wanted to say 'thanks!'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote