Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 05:48 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Magazine Pricing Weirdness - Analog, Asimov's, F&SF

Science Fiction/Fantasy magazine pricing is really weird at the moment.

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (F&SF) is only available through Amazon - they did a deal back in 2011. I've been a subscriber since then - paying £0.99 a month which, as it's bimonthly, is £1.98 an issue. An OK deal I thought.

Looking at it's current page at Amazon they're currently asking £29.99 for a years subscription - or £5 and issue. And they're trying to sell individual issues at £7.49!

I do still seem to be getting it for £1.98 an issue. I certainly wouldn't pay £5 an issue! The USA paper subscription is only $36.97 (£28.24 at todays exchange rate).

And weird things in the other direction have happened at Analog and Asimovs. They both went to bimonthly issues at the start of the year, so instead of 8 ordinary issues and 2 'double' issues, we now get 6 'double' issues.

The Amazon subscription remained at £1.99/month, making each issue £3.98. But Amazon are still selling individual issues for £2.49!

I've been an Analog and Asimov's subscriber at Amazon for many years, but I've cancelled now. I just buy the individual issues, saving £1.49 an issue.

How can they be so incompetent about their pricing?!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:31 AM   #2
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
I'm faintly surprised that those magazines are still around. I subscribed back in the early 80's.

I suspect that Napoleon's maxim holds in this case (to paraphrase - never ascribe to malice what can be ascribed to incompetence). I wouldn't be shocked if it's just a case that no one thought to update the individual issue price on Amazon. I would not be terribly surprised if the price goes up as soon as someone points it out to whomever sets the price.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote