Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Should i Buy A New Kindle 2?

Seeing as I have 2 other readers, the K2 would give my the kindle experience that i'm longing for.
I value your your opinion!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Heya eSheri. Pardon me, but why a Kindle2 and not a Kindle3?

Is there some compelling feature/aspect of the K2 that is missing in the K3 that I am not aware of? While new to actual Kindle ownership, my own understanding is that the K3 is generally considered the "best" iteration of the entire Kindle device lineup so far.

Certainly the most current.

Last edited by lestatar; 06-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
My understanding is that the K3 is a bit smaller, lighter, and faster than the K2, as well as having better screen contrast. If you have perhaps found a really cheap deal on a K2, and want to pick it up just to get the "Kindle experience", then sure. Otherwise, a K3 would probably be your better bet for the reasons explained above.
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol "some compelling feature"! yes, price!
coupled with the fact that i don't NEED it, and the K2 would do what i need it to do!

Last edited by eSheri; 06-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
lol "some compelling feature"! yes, price!
How much?

Brand new Kindle 3s start at $114.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Ah. Gotcha.

Best deal I found on a quickie peek online for a K2 was 89USD. Latest Kindle3 Wifi is 119USD but comes with ads.

TBH, i personally would hold out a bit longer and save up for the K3 Wifi, either with or without ads [without = 139USD]. IME, a bit of patience is almost always a good thing when dealing with tech gear and the K3 is quite a great piece of kit IMO so far.

Still, for sure money don't grow on trees and heck yeah, the K2 is also a fine device! Functionally, I think the Kindle2 should be extremely similar to the K3. BUT! I would await confirmation on this from more experienced and actual K2/K3 owners first.

Tough choice there, but either way you go, I am pretty sure you will be happy

cheers and good luck!
-les
Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
1) Only if there is a feature of the Kindle that you can't get in your other readers such as the ability to read oddball books, let's face it amazon has everything.

2) I think that a new kindle is a better idea than an old one.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
eSheri
Addict

ok, here is the real deal:
if i put away funds each payday i can order my KSO 3G on July 1,
or,
order a K2 today!! lol so yes, its really a matter of patience (or a lack thereof)!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
ok, here is the real deal:
if i put away funds each payday i can order my KSO 3G on July 1,
or,
order a K2 today!! lol so yes, its really a matter of patience (or a lack thereof)!
Well, the K2 isn't a bad device and in some ways I like it better than the K3.

I can say though that I never touch my K2 anymore mainly due to the better contrast of the K3's Pearl screen (like your 350 uses).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-07-2011 at 12:07 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

@eSheri: I hear ya. Still, my advice holds FWIW.

A wee bit of patience and you will end up with a device that not only is the latest and greatest version of the Kindle but is objectively superior in terms of the screen technology [as I infer from AnemicOak's experience above].

I say think long term! But hell yeah, Tom Petty is on the money:
"The waiting is the hardest part..."
Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
eSheri
Addict

AnemicOak, better contrast, that was a concern. so in what ways do you like the K2 better?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
AnemicOak, better contrast, that was a concern. so in what ways do you like the K2 better?
I prefer the 5-way joystick on the K2 to the D-pad on the K3 and I slightly prefer the page turn buttons on the K2. I also slightly prefer the K2's larger size and heavier weight, if I could retrofit a Pearl screen to the K2 it would be almost ideal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
eSheri
Addict

i love this place!
yes lestatar, i think i'll wait.
(pulls out her sony to temporarily pacify her need for a new device)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Be sure to stick around here and get caught up on the skinny re: the Kindle3. This way, when the time comes you can dive right in and enjoy immediately!

MR is indeed quite terrific as I am finding out
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Keep in mind that the K2 is already getting older, and the battery will have to be replaced much sooner than a new K3. If you send it back to Amazon, it is fairly pricey. You can get kits from 3rd party sellers to do it yourself, though.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote