Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Rilan
Edge User

Drawing in the Journal -- my experience with it.

Yesterday, I found myself stuck waiting for an hour and, even though I had my trusty Edge with me, I didn't quite feel like working or reading or browsing the web ... so, I opened the journal and started sketching.

When I got home, I retouched the image in Photoshop (got it back to monochrome and softened the lines). And I thought I'd share: http://blog.rilanwhite.com/2010/08/so-i-drew-tonight/ =)

I really did enjoy sketching on the Edge -- even though there were a couple of issues I bumped into (the screen calibration is a little off, which became a problem when I tried to get precise with the image -- I re-calibrated the screen three times before I gave up -- and black doesn't show up over any of the grays/colors until you refresh the screen). It also would have been nice if there was a choice to keep the grays as grays when I saved it as a .pdf (if the option's there, I couldn't find it). Other than this, however, it was fun! Finally, I wanted to mention that when I started getting into the image, I worried I might scratch the screen, considering I was covering the whole of it and got pretty aggressive at times -- but, at the end, not a single scratch! So, score for the Edge, as far as I'm concerned!

(A note, however -- for the future, I should probably get sketching software for the tablet side. =)

Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

That's some stunning artwork!

Another member, robot, found that the eInk side appears to support levels of pressure sensitivity, like any Wacom tablet. As far as I know enTourage is just using "on/off", but there's certainly potential there for a much richer sketching experience for the artist.

Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

Gorgeous portrait. You should add it to the eDGe Art Gallery as well as Android Art Book.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Nice work! Magic Doodle and Sketcher both work well on the LCD side.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
guyjack
Edge User

Wow! I am very impressed! Better than my stickmen by far!

Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Rilan
Edge User

Thanks, guys!

Boris -- I think pressure sensitivity would be a neat feature (I own Wacom tablets, I'm a user and a big fan). But, to be completely honest, I don't think it will be a great improvement to productivity with the current writing/drawing/pdf and epub editing capabilities on the e-ink side. Now, if there was a way to insert a journal page as an image into a .pdf file and save it without losing the text search capability in the .pdf file -- that might change the discussion completely. But then, that would require an actual .pdf editor for the e-ink side, and we'll probably soon be asking for more functionality in the journal itself! =)

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

I was thinking of a someone writing a new sketching application for the eInk side, once the SDK is released later this year. I agree there's not much benefit to adding pressure-sensitivity within the existing Reader or Journal apps.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
StevenP
Edge User

Nice sketch!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Snow
Edge User

Well done!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Rilan
Edge User

Steven and Snow -- thank you! =)

Boris -- you're right, I didn't think of that. Another possible use for the pressure sensitivity would be emulating a regular Wacom tablet that works with the LCD screen (as in, you get both color and pressure sensitivity).

I'm a little disappointed that the Dingo update now forces two or three clicks (if the menus works properly) just to change tools/brush size/color in the journal. I probably wouldn't have had the patience to draw something like the above sketch with the new interface... As someone else mentioned in another thread, it's be nice to get a customizable menu for the journal app too.