Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Tinah
Enthusiast
Tinah began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Exclamation Beware of who you're talking to...

This is somewhat OFF topic, however I was trying to do a Factory Reset.

Minutes after I emailed Tech, asking how to de-register, I get a phone call from a Tech saying they discovered I had a serious security problem with my device. Huh?
The caller goes on to say I need to log onto my device so they can help me with the necessary steps. So I turned on my Pocket Edge and asked, so how do I reset it to Factory (as that is what I was working on). I had a hard time understanding the caller with the East Indian accent, so she directed me over to "Eddy" something or other, and well, that didn't help...he too had a strong East Indian Accent. Made me suspicious and I asked "so who is calling,exactly?" The caller tells me "Software Securities Technician". Huh?
"So, you're not from Entourage?" and the caller says "yes, Yes! We are dryin do helb yoo, mam". "ok then", I ease back into my chair to get comfortable and reply "ok, tell me what I need to do".

The friendly voice says "Durn on your labtob compooder". Huh? "What for?" I ask. "We need do fix broblem wid secureedee. We need do ged inside your combuter to fix" ...."my LAPTOP??"..."no, your desktob"...."my DESKTOP?"....I think I understand now...."WHO is THIS?" I ask again. The caller is getting very frustrated with me. "Mam, you have broblem, very dangerous virus dad we need to clean up". I tell him I have antivirus, firewall etc and that I doubt very much I have a problem and he tells me that it is in progress and next time I reboot my screen will be blank etc etc." I started to laugh. He must have had this look on his face I then called him an expletive and hang up. Then I google 'fraud phone calls software' and up comes what I just experienced. I'm sooooo glad I didn't fall for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...a-call-centres
Tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Wow!

Good reminder!

That call came at quite a coincidental time. You probably would have caught on sooner if you hadn't just been calling for tech support. Or did they know somehow??? Eeeek!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Tinah
Enthusiast
Tinah began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I was thinking that! HOW did they know. Talk about coincidence or what!
...but this blonde here is always suspicious of callers that ask for 'personal information'. I don't care if they claim to be from my bank, from my credit card company, etc etc... Even if they know my address and phone number (which is public info) I don't give out personal information to a 'stranger' who calls ME. I don't care if they tell me they are the President, haha.
Tinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
I've had this call -- it's fun. It has nothing to do with Entourage. Just apply the appropriate expletives when they ask you to type something into your keyboard.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
edgewise
edgewise began at the beginning.

Device: edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven1 View Post
I've had this call -- it's fun. It has nothing to do with Entourage. Just apply the appropriate expletives when they ask you to type something into your keyboard.
In my case, they were trying to get me to be alarmed at what I saw in my eventviewer log.
edgewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Crazy coincidental timing, indeed! Just another reason I don't answer my phone anymore. Glad you caught on to them, Tinah.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
blacccat
blacccat began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge dual tablet ; b&n nook simple touch; coby mid8042; ac
OMG & LOL!
blacccat is offline   Reply With Quote