Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
hebrides
hebrides began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Annotations - synchronising and continuing on PC

Hi, I've never been on this forum before, but I must say that Calibre has proven invaluable to me as a Kindle owner.

I was annotating a book yesterday, and because I'd have a lot of annotating to do and because the Kindle is quite slow/freezes temporarily after annotating sometimes, I thought I'd continue on my computer.

I had converted the book in question myself, but didn't have the PDF any more. I don't think Calibre reader allows annotating, so I used Kindle for PC.

I know the book won't 'sync' with Kindle for PC, as it is not a Kindle Store purchase, but even so, I found where I was and continued annotating. Annotating on Kindle for PC is really nice by the way - better than Adobe Reader.

However, I encountered a problem this morning. I can't copy text from the book when it's open in Kindle for PC.

Does anyone have a workaround or better solution?
I know I can just open Calibre reader (or the file on Kindle device) and match up what I've highlighted, and use myclippings.txt, but that's a bit long-winded.
hebrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrides View Post
However, I encountered a problem this morning. I can't copy text from the book when it's open in Kindle for PC.

Does anyone have a workaround or better solution?
You might have better luck asking in the Kindle forum as more people reading that one will be using the K4PC software. I personally try to stay away from it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
hebrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You might have better luck asking in the Kindle forum as more people reading that one will be using the K4PC software. I personally try to stay away from it.
I will stay away as well (unless it's a Kindle store book, in which case I can sync to device and use myclippings.txt).

It was just that I had annotated half a small book and didn't want to waste time. As it happens, I didn't annotate much and the book was short, so I just went over the highlighted areas and copied them from Calibre reader.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
I have several...

1. try ctrl-a then ctrl-c in case its just the right click function copy your losing.
2. Use microsoft one notes screen clip function the text recognition and then spit it out as a file and convert as needed.
3. Get adobe acrobat pro if its a pdf... gives you a lot more editing capability. And blows the adobe reader out of the water which is a stripped down acrobat pro and has twice the functionality as kindle for pc for pdf's.

Also pdf is a horrible format to use on the kindle... I would convert them to .mobi or .prc you will like it much better.

I would try anything other than using that kindle for pc software which blows.

Cheers
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
hebrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinaka View Post
I have several...

1. try ctrl-a then ctrl-c in case its just the right click function copy your losing.
2. Use microsoft one notes screen clip function the text recognition and then spit it out as a file and convert as needed.
3. Get adobe acrobat pro if its a pdf... gives you a lot more editing capability. And blows the adobe reader out of the water which is a stripped down acrobat pro and has twice the functionality as kindle for pc for pdf's.

Also pdf is a horrible format to use on the kindle... I would convert them to .mobi or .prc you will like it much better.

I would try anything other than using that kindle for pc software which blows.

Cheers
I have up and found the highlighted sections and extracted them a different way...

Absolutely agree and this is more or less what I do/use - I have Acrobat installed for something else and it's very useful for eBooks. It's way too expensive for an ordinary consumer though (older versions are probably cheaper).

However, I didn't have a PDF version of the file in question and MOBI to PDF produces ugly results.

For annotating and highlighting, Kindle for PC is better than Acrobat. There's no need to right-click and select 'highlight text', the dialog box just appears. Over the course of a two hundred pages, that's a lot of time/clicks saved.

It's a question of DRM in Kindle for PC, not of pressing the right buttons - I can open the file in another program and copy text just fine. KforPC does not allow it though.

I don't think OneNote will work (I don't like OneNote so it'll be installed on first use, which I don't intend to do) - the similar Snag-It didn't work. Again, it's DRM.

I agree about PDFs on Kindle too, although it's okay for PowerPoint slides (2 per page) now and then, especially if the margins are cropped.

Last edited by hebrides; 05-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrides View Post
I was annotating a book yesterday, and because I'd have a lot of annotating to do and because the Kindle is quite slow/freezes temporarily after annotating sometimes, I thought I'd continue on my computer.
I found that the kindle freeze during annotate/bookmark appears to be due to re-indexing. Turned it off, and had no issues for the past 2 months.

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote