Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
That's an improvement!

Well, after getting sick of being left out of the upgrade loop, tonight I decided to download the v1.9 desktop client from Kobo (I had been using the Borders v1.8 client). After clicking sync 5 times, the update downloaded! I also noticed that unlike the Borders version, sync doesn't re-download all my books. Updates seem to be much quicker too. The only negative is that it wiped out all of my Borders books (about 2 dozen, mostly public domain (thank goodness), but about half a dozen were purchased. I guess I'll just have to sideload those (I refuse to use ADE anymore) after I've stripped them of their DRM. Or load the Borders client again and switch as needed (though not sure how healthy that may be for the database). Anyway...I'm glad to finally be part of the 1.9 group. Haven't used it much yet, but I do like the new wireless icon...(though the old one was certainly functional).

Makes me wonder though...why was the Borders version so slow and (apparently) buggy...was v.1.8 of the Kobo desktop that bad, or did Borders somehow kludge up the code when it was Branded with Borders?
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I switched over to the Kobo software recently, as well, and I also noticed that things seem to operate much better. The Borders branded software is just wonky, I'm not sure what they did to it.

Go figure.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I switched over to the Kobo software recently, as well, and I also noticed that things seem to operate much better. The Borders branded software is just wonky, I'm not sure what they did to it.

Go figure.
@Anthem: When you say "switched over" to KOBO software, do you mean you are using Kobo.com and just not going to the Borders website? I haven't attempted any upgrades. I've had my eReader for a couple of months & as long as I can download my library books and buy a book every now and then, I'm okay. I just haven't gotten use from Calibre yet, and I know there's a lot it can do for me....But, that's another thread....
Ms M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
caheaton
Enthusiast
caheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametercaheaton can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo & Kindle apps (PC, Android), Aura HD, Kindle Touch
No, I downloaded the Kobo desktop software. As soon as I synced it with my Kobo, it told me it was "cleaning up". It then downloaded the update and my Kobo books. My books from Borders were erased (non Borders books still there...no big deal...I can still side load the Borders books after I strip the DRM from them or one can keep the DRM and use ADE by downloading from My Library at the Borders web site). It also replaced the Borders store in your Kobo with the Kobo store.

Given how flaky the Borders software has been acting, and the occasional problem with their web site (things don't seem to go as well as they should given their bankruptcy), I think I'll just keep mine with the Kobo configuration. The desktop software works much better.
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Kobo desktop "works" only with books purchased from the Kobo store. Borders only with books bought through Borders. Different stores--different servers. Most people choose one store to sync kepubs with and add books as ePUB from the others.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The Kobo desktop "works" only with books purchased from the Kobo store. Borders only with books bought through Borders. Different stores--different servers. Most people choose one store to sync kepubs with and add books as ePUB from the others.
The same is true for the firmware on the eBook Reader itself. This is done in a config file. It is in the kobo folder inside the .kobo folder. You can see it if you mount your device to a PC. So if you upgrade different firmware be sure and save that file first if you want to continue using the same store.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms M View Post
@Anthem: When you say "switched over" to KOBO software, do you mean you are using Kobo.com and just not going to the Borders website?
By switched over I mean that I no longer use the Borders branded version of the Kobo Desktop software to purchase and read and sync books with my Kobo WiFi. I only had a few books through Borders and I downloaded all of those using ADE anyway, so its a non-issue for me re: different servers, etc.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I wonder if I could edit the new 1.9 version to work on my bluetooth kobo?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I wonder if I could edit the new 1.9 version to work on my bluetooth kobo?
Nope. Sorry. The hardware changed considerably. It's still an Arm instruction set, but I believe the chip maker has been changed, as well as the memory addressing layout.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote