Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #61
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Exactly what I mean - it doesn't need to, but requires. Which forces you to do it. Having gray-out functions isn't something anyone wants on their device. Or having an incorrect date which also messes with everything.

I don't plan to close my amazon account or anything, but I would like to have that choice if I changed my mind in the future. I don't like when company locks out device (for which you paid) features which in no way need any registering or anything to work. It's required for no valid reason.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never created a collection, and I can't even remember the last time I turned on my wireless. Even so... my Kindle is still quite a competent eReader (which I've had no issues with).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #63
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
To be fair the point Noughty is making is a valid one, it is rather limiting the device a little unless you register & sync with Amazon's servers. Though I assume once you've created collections, if you were to close your Amazon account it wouldn't matter, so then the only issue would be if you had any problems with the date/time?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #64
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Yes, the date settings can't be changed without wireless. I had contacted amazon about that since I had to reset the device and date was set back. This completely messed up with most recent view. I was moving houses so I couldn't connect to wifi to fix it. If you lost/closed amazon account you couldn't fix that since it has to sync with amazon for date settings. How crazy is that? I can set the time, but not date on my device? What's the point in having date settings imported from amazon only? I'd rather have date setting to modify instead of time.

On final note, this isn't a problem for me now. I am satisfied with amazon customer service, kindle too (would love better functionality, but it's no biggie). But you can't know the future and it might become a problem to any of us. Since there is no warning before closing account (is that too much to ask for not a serious breach of policy?). I wonder what other reasons can there be for banning. What if I don't use amazon account for 5 years, wouldn't it get closed or something? If I had it only for kindle and never bought books from amazon.
It makes you wonder what else you might do what is considered as abuse. Maybe even badmouthing amazon can get you banned. What if I suggested for amazon to warn people first before banning their accounts? Would they immediately tag me as a bad customer (also because I only bought 3 things so far - kindle and accessories - and the number might not increase). It's not like I bring them in much money . No big thing to lose me as a customer. (I actually thought that those who get their kindle replaced after warranty period maybe buy a lot of books on amazon, so it's in amazon's favor to give new kindle so you can buy in the future. Doubt they would replace my kindle if something happened after 1 year)

Maybe it's silly but I like knowing all the catches and all the * coming with the product. I hate it when it's so hidden.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #65
Rayparete
Rayparete began at the beginning.

Device: 2 First Gen Kindles, 1 8.5 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I read the old thread (now closed) about amazon banning peoples accounts.
I understand that they seem to have banished a bunch of accounts in one sweep...being an old thread I wondered if anyone knows if they have since changed their policy or if anyone has heard of recent account bannings.

I don't buy very much from amazon, but am a little freaked out that they would do this across the board rather ruthlessly IMO, to at least some who didn't seem to really deserve it.
I've only made a couple returns to amazon but had a string of bad kindles that I had exchanged. The idea that they could suddenly lock me out of my kindle account has me a bit rattled.

The worse thing seems to be that you can't tell if your account is in bad standing or has this changed?
My account was just closed after 15 years. After receiving email confirmation of a purchase that I didn't make, I contacted them the same hour telling them to cancel or something because I hadn't placed the order. It was a large outdoor double couch with umbrella that cost $1000 and was being shipped to my husband's downtown office! They claimed I did order it, it wasn't a 1-click mistake on my part, they said I went through the long process of four different screens and it couldn't be canceled as it had already been shipped and it would cost me $250 to return it. They left me no choice but to deny the charge on my AMX. It was never shipped, I never received it but Amazon is insisting I pay them $1000 or my account stays closed and they then closed my husband's account. I can't begin to express my disbelief!!!!!
Rayparete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #66
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I buy a lot of things on Amazon, possibly too much - my wife ordered something and she did not like so I returned it. Then some person collected it the next day.

Then they changed their return policy to taking things to petrol stations. I did return something else as I wanted a better model of something.

I think you are allowed to return things from a change of mind once every one or two years.

Though once I returned something that did not work so I returned it to a post office. There was a second order, though very cheap I also returned which did work; where I had to pay 4 pounds for postage - I just slipped it in with the other parcel as it was very light.

To Rayparete of 1 post: perhaps someone else made the order if you were still logged onto your account. You can check the time of the order, but does your husband know your password. I do not think your account was hacked as they would not send it to your husbands office! Is this the default address?

Sorry if I seem impolite, I just put on my detective hat.

Last edited by peter12345; 01-13-2013 at 06:02 AM.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #67
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayparete View Post
My account was just closed after 15 years. After receiving email confirmation of a purchase that I didn't make, I contacted them the same hour telling them to cancel or something because I hadn't placed the order. It was a large outdoor double couch with umbrella that cost $1000 and was being shipped to my husband's downtown office! They claimed I did order it, it wasn't a 1-click mistake on my part, they said I went through the long process of four different screens and it couldn't be canceled as it had already been shipped and it would cost me $250 to return it. They left me no choice but to deny the charge on my AMX. It was never shipped, I never received it but Amazon is insisting I pay them $1000 or my account stays closed and they then closed my husband's account. I can't begin to express my disbelief!!!!!
I'm trying to understand what happened. First you say that Amazon would not cancel the order because it had been shipped and then you say that it was never shipped. Can you please explain further? Does Amazon have proof of delivery? If so, Amazon should be able to tell you who signed for the couch and where it was delivered. It appears that Amazon is fairly convinced that the couch was delivered and therefore, closed your account due to the chargeback.

Last edited by JoHunt; 01-13-2013 at 06:22 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This story is as full of holes as a Swiss cheese. I find it highly suspicious that someone should join MR - a forum dedicated to reading and mobile devices - seemingly for the sole purpose of posting a complaint about a couch bought from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Case of the Quantum-Shipped Couch by I. D. Ontbelieveyou.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #70
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It's surprising that an online store would do that. That just makes me more happy that I back up DRM-striped copies of all my books.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #71
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Yeah, I REALLY should start doing this as well. I have so many books that I get discouraged at the mere thought of it
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #72
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
To Rayparete of 1 post: perhaps someone else made the order if you were still logged onto your account. You can check the time of the order, but does your husband know your password. I do not think your account was hacked as they would not send it to your husbands office! Is this the default address?

Sorry if I seem impolite, I just put on my detective hat.
No, you're just wisely skeptical and put on your BS gasmask. Good call!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #73
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
And what's an 8.5 Kindle???
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
And what's an 8.5 Kindle???
A DX that's had 1.2 inches surgically removed?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #75
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Case of the Quantum-Shipped Couch by I. D. Ontbelieveyou.
I rated it 2 stars. It was readable, but I found the story predictable and the ending anti-climatic. I prefer the follow up account: 'a quadrillion little fibers!'
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, banned, kindle, returns