Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
EmVee
EmVee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Rooting the classic

Why is it so stupidly difficult to root 1.5 1004xx Nooks? I tried the router guide, and that was so incredibly mind blowingly lacking in details that I just gave up. Router-free one was only slightly more understandable. I got up at least to the DNS part, but my Nook kept updating back to 1.5 from there.

I'm 100% that I've done everything correctly, so I'm just about ready to give up. Sob.
EmVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, so could someone explain to a newbie what rooting is and why I want to get into it.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Rooting is "breaking" the normal loading operation of the Nook so that you can load other non-B&N supported 3rd party apps. This gives you the ability to load a better book management mini-application, for example.

I believe that rooting the Nook voids the warranty.

See http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_Benefits for more details.

Last edited by sangahm; 02-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Does rooting provide cover flow for sideloaded books in the color screen as if they are B&N books?

To have this cover flow feature, what else I can do, other than rooting? I really don't want to root my Nook as I don't need these fancy 3rd party apps unless they are a must for cover flow to get activated for non-B&N books
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Rooting can give you the cover flow for sideloaded content. You cannot get that without rooting.
Personally I thought I really wanted the cover flow when I had my classic. It turned out I didn't use it anyway once I had a rooted Nook.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
kado
Enthusiast
kado began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Rooting can give you the cover flow for sideloaded content. You cannot get that without rooting.
Personally I thought I really wanted the cover flow when I had my classic. It turned out I didn't use it anyway once I had a rooted Nook.
Unfortunately, my Nook Classic upgraded itself to 1.7.0 and my serial number now starts with 10113. Whatever trick I implemented I cannot degrade the firmware version to 1.5 or earlier so that I could root my Nook Classic. (I don't remember exactly but I think its firmware was originally 1.5 or even less; I bought it almost a year ago, and the 1.7.0 upgrade is the first upgrade I did unintentionally). So I cannot root it in any case I think.

Another reason why I wanted to root was to substitude the system fonts through ADB with turkish-friendly fonts so that I don't have to implement Extra CSS trick each time I want to read a Turkish epub. Even if I use this trick, book titles still lack of proper Turkish fonts. Only solution seems to be font substitution; however, I understand under my current circumstances I cannot till another and new exploit.

Asawi, could you confirm please so that I will give up for now at least.

I still don't get it why B&N does not make a firmware update to improve non-latin fonts in Nook Classic. Next generation Nooks are all non-latin fonts friendly and no one experiences the problems that Nook Classic owners do.
kado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not the right person to ask about rooting. I had help rooting my Nook, and even though I did see certain improvements I was as happy with an unrooted device.
You should be able to get your Nook back to whatever firmware it came with with the complete reset. I don't remeber how it was done, but it was a number of times I had to keep the power switch down for 10 seconds each, or something like that. So if you haven't done that yet it could be worth a try to get back to old firmware.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Found a page about the manual restoringback to "virgin", but beare that this wipes you Nook completely! Books, settings, everything!
http://geekdrop.com/content/how-to-r...ctory-settings

(I'm sure info is here in the forum as well, but this was the first search result I got)
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Arainais
Arainais began at the beginning.

I have a rooted nook classic and I am trying to unroot it, but when I try the manual restore method, it just says installing software update, which doesn't do anything, and then it reboots. I really want to unroot it, and it has version 1.7 firmware. Do you have any other suggestions for how to unroot a nook classic?
Arainais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arainais, why would you want do unroot you Nook?
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I had a Nook Classic in my hands for all of five days, but I did face both these issues of rooting newer hardware/firmware and restoring stock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arainais View Post
I have a rooted nook classic and I am trying to unroot it, but when I try the manual restore method, it just says installing software update, which doesn't do anything, and then it reboots. I really want to unroot it, and it has version 1.7 firmware. Do you have any other suggestions for how to unroot a nook classic?
My suggestion is to just keep trying the restore to stock. For me, it was the third time I got as far as the "software update" screen, out of six total attempts, that it actually went through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado View Post
Unfortunately, my Nook Classic upgraded itself to 1.7.0 and my serial number now starts with 10113.
This root method works, but requires patience: http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_B%26N_re...n_any_hardware

I would say DO NOT use the batch file toward the end, but use the commands quoted here on the discussion page. Each time you attempt the browser exploit, it may well take you 10-20 tries.

Personally, I found the root very much worthwhile just for sorting by tag (in my case, genre) in the replacement nookLibrary. I also wanted to provide an image viewer to the recipient, who was computer illiterate and had no other way to view digital photos.

After playing with the rooted device, I was tempted to track down another for myself, despite having a Nook Color and not being particularly fond of e-ink.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
taca0
taca0 began at the beginning.

Device: nook classic
Arrow

Hi,

Question for the experts

I have a used Nook Classic comes with version 1.7.0 but the serial number is 10024....

Can I root it?

Thanks!
taca0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not a expert, but you should be able to. According to the info on nookdevs the webbrowser hack should work for all versions. And I know of someone here that had 1.7 and rooted it.

I am having problems rooting mine though. I got it to connection on the 3rd try, but then when I tried to use the command with db ratc.bin I got errors about not found. Although it said it pushed it though, it also didn't disconnect. Tried it several times to no avail (tried crashing the browser, restarting ADB etc). I finally rebooted the nook and haven't been able to connect to it since. :/ Would appreciate any assistance.

Update:
I *finally* managed to connect again, but same problem when I try to use the rtc.bin. Specifically I get:

C:\andriod>adb shell
$ cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
$ /system/bin/chmod 777 ./ratc.bin
$ ./ratc.bin
$ $ cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
$: not found
$ $ /system/bin/chmod 777 ./ratc.bin
$ ./ratc.bin
$: not found
$ $: not found
$

from what I understand it is suppose to kill the connection and you have to reconnect, but it never does in this case and I have to kill the shell and if i try the adb push init.rc / no go, it doesn't have the premissions

Last edited by DBDigital; 08-06-2013 at 03:57 PM.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Hey I am having the same problem! It says I pushed ratc.bin without error, but then the second command says it is not there.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Dob43
Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!Dob43 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Classic
Yessssssssssssssss! I finally hacked my Nook Classic (Nook First Edition called by some)! I followed most of the instructions at http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_B%26N_re...n_any_hardware

I only tweeked in a few places. Here is a general list of what I did:

1. Look at the site above and grab the linked file (ratc.bin). Then go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1474956 and at the top there grab the adb + fasboot + drivers.zip. The reason I used this is because it is much smaller than the full Andriod SDK (which is over 500mb btw) and I figured this would work since it works for Nook Tablets. I didn't install the drivers or anything though. Just used adb.

2. Went with nook browser to http://nookadb.suspended-chord.info/ to crash the browser. If this should ever be down I see on the nookdevs page there is a discussion with the code that is on the crash page so you can put it on any webserver and still do this procedure.

3. Once it crashed I went to cmd (command prompt) and navigated to the folder that had the adb package I downloaded and decompressed earlier. I suggest putting this folder on your desktop for easy use. I gave the command
adb connect yournookip:5555 please note that the nookdevs instructions are not specific in that you NEED the :5555 after the IP. If it doesn't connect, keep crashing the browser by going to that page until it connect.

4. extracted the init.rc file with the command
adb pull /init.rc then edited as per the instructions on nookdevs

5. Now here is where things are different. I tried to push the ratc.bin file and while that seemed to work the commands after it didn't. It would keep saying the file wasn't there. I was cut and pasting the commands direct from the website so I don't think that was the issue. So what I did was grab the bat file at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=121655&page=2 Jackr and edit it slightly removing the bit about location of adb and placed the bat in the same folder as adb on my desktop and ran it.

6. This actually worked and the bat prompted me to crash the browser again. I kept trying it took a while but as soon as I did it pushed the modified init.rc to the nook. The another reason why I think the bat/script is important as my nook totally froze a second after I crashed it. I think that if I was trying to paste that command manually after connecting I would still be trying lol.

7. After reboot I was fully rooted and I installed a bunch of apps from nookdevs using adb. Just make sure the apk (app file) is in the same directory as adb and use the command install nameofapp.apk

8. If you want to use nookmarket app to install files by itself then you need to:
adb connect nookIP:5555
adb shell
then type this after the #
/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps'"

It will allow nookmarket to install apps on the fly over the net. If you ever want to turn it back off just chage the value=1 to value=0 in the above command. Of course you can always use adb, but it can be handy.

Of all the apps I would definitely suggest Nooklibary and wifilocker along with Nooksync. There are several other good nook apps such as trook, I would suggest checking/trying them out. The browser can be handy if you don't have anything else, but only then lol. Oh I should also mention that the B&N Nook Browser still works fine. I think using the batfile/script helped with that situation.

I hope this helps someone who is thinking of taking the plunge. I wouldn't have bothered if B&N actually continued to update the Nook Classic and add the features that we BEGGED for (and are in NookLibrary). Instead of spending time adding things we didn't like games. Ah well.
Dob43 is offline   Reply With Quote