Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm glad your library owns copies of every book you'd like to read!
If they don't - they can usually get it for me. But yes, I mainly read current mainstream fiction so chances are pretty good that our library loan system will have a copy. And if they don't, I now have a Calibre library of over a 1000 books and that entire back catalog of Public Domain that I should have read more of anyway. I've yet to find myself in a position where I feel forced to buy a book. The one book I can remember buying was a POD for a friend/author ad I didn't buy it because I wanted it that bad, I bought it because she's my friend.

I'm fairly confident that overall my library stocks a far larger catalog selection than the Borders B&M store.

Mostly I've just come to the conclusion that I'm going to read about 110 books a year. Given that there are about 280,000 books published a year .... I think the odds are pretty good that I'll be able to find plenty that meet my criteria of format and price.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I still buy a very few print books (7-10 a year actually sounds about right) but I have also bought hundreds of e-books.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Buying 13 books a year indicates an "avid" reader?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Not me. Unless I'm buying for someone else, I'm buying ebooks. I'm not all that surprised, though. Not all books are available as ebooks. Books can be on sale or in remaindered bins. I'm not AGAINST buying paper books, I just vastly prefer ebooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I am usually purchasing fiction e-book and non-fiction in the p-book form.

Now that I have the Nook Color more of the non-fiction purchases will be in e-book form. I really don't see a day where I will purchase only e-books.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Since I got my kindle, the only pbooks I have bought are Cub related. I haven't been in a bookstore (Cub books at Costco). But, I buy at least as many ebooks as I used to buy pbooks - filling out series, etc.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I've only bought one pbook since I got my ereader. It was a $2 hardcover compared to the $18.99 ebook version. With my free Amazon shipping, it was a no-brainer.

Books, in general, having always been a weakness for me so I avoid book stores (and Ollie's) now. I will still buy special editions of pbooks that I love if the opportunity presents itself.

As far as indie authors, I would have never bought one before but have bought 6 or 7 in ebook form since October.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #23
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Possibly, but only if that reader gets ~90% of their books from the library?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
As far as indie authors, I would have never bought one before but have bought 6 or 7 in ebook form since October.
And this is what terrifies the publishing houses... I can see a book for $.99 and think "yeah, whatever, I'll give it a try", but there's no way that the same indie author could get to such a price point with paper books.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #25
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm not particularly surprised at this. My book-buying habits haven't changed very much since I got an e-reader; the difference is that now I also buy e-books as well, on top of everything else.

The overlap between the types of p-books I buy (graphic novels, non-fiction art & reference, severely out-of-print backlist books, new releases from my favourite authors, special deluxe collectors' editions) and the types of e-books I buy (severely out-of-print backlist books that I can't find a decent copy of used, old & new releases from my favourite authors which are discounted to dirt cheap) is pretty low.

And I've never been much for buying stuff I could get from the library and didn't like enough to "keep", so I'm not one of those people who's been replacing a MMPB bestseller acquisition habit with the e-book equivalent.

So I imagine there are enough other people who see p-books and e-books serving different reading niches for them that would yield the stated results.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That's the first thing that jumped out at me too!! I would hardly consider reading 13 books in a year to be an avid reader. Sadly I think this may be more than the "average" person reads per year though.

I've personally bought very few pbooks since I bought my ereader. The only ones I've bought were books that weren't available as ebooks and a few I thought were priced too high as an ebook I bought used off the internet.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The article was interesting and I enjoyed reading it.

I'm still about 50-50 (or thereabouts!) and I have no hard definition or understanding of which I prefer or why.

Still lost in a "Sea of Confusion", I be.

Either way the book peeps be gettin' my money, yo!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
The percentage of e-reader owners who describe themselves as avid readers—intending to buy 13 or more e-books in the next year—is 26.8%, roughly the same as avid readers among all readers, regardless of what form of book they read. This indicates that e-reader owners are no longer mainly early adopters: they now mirror the overall book-buying population.

[B]E-reader owners are buying nearly as many print books as e-books: 25.8% of e-reader owners said that they would buy 13 or more print books within the coming year.
Ah, how to lie with statistics. Unless the article is getting the question wrong, it was only asking about ebooks. You could easily have people who are buying 12 pbooks and 1 ebook, so they would answer "1" to that question. Doesn't mean they are not an avid reader.

Also, there is no telling how much overlap there is between the 26.8% in the first question that was talked about, and the 25.8% in the later question. There could be little to no overlap (people buying 90% ebooks versus 90% pbooks). It would be reasonable to say that ebooks do not seem to penetrate all markets just because a user owns an ereader.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
The only time I buy a physical book now is if it's something I am reasonably sure isn't going to turn up in ebook anytime soon. Right now, that's down to only a couple of mystery authors - most notably Laura Childs. Her publisher's apparent refusal to come out with ebooks for ALL of her series and titles is driving me buggy; and will probably soon drive me buggy enough for me to break down and go buy what I'm missing in paperback .
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Just bought 3 books yesterday (including the 3'rd book in a series that I have e-books for the first two volumes). Got them at my favorite used book store.

Got 4 books at the county library last week. The county system has a very good collection, but I have utilized the inter-library loan system to get books that they don't own.
cromag, may I ask where you purchased your used books? I am in NJ also and haven't found a used bookstore near my home.

Our local libraries have a great inter-library loan system. I request videos all the time.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote