Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'm not meaning to argue, but that statement seems to suggest that you don't consider Sony's Connect Store to be a source for modern best-selling fiction, and I'm curious as to why not.
Perhaps they do sell it, but can you find it - that's the question? The Connect Bookstore search engine can, I'm sure you'd agree, be charitably described as "challenging"

Let me say to the earlier poster, by the way, that despite my seeming negativity towards the new CyBook, I'll be placing my order as soon as I can. Many years of waiting for e-Book devices, however, have taught me the lesson that the perfect device is always "just over the horizon", and it's best to go with what actually exists now and enjoy using it, rather than wait for the elusive "next generation".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps they do sell it, but can you find it - that's the question?
That's a very good question, too, HarryT, but it's also a different question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Connect Bookstore search engine can, I'm sure you'd agree, be charitably described as "challenging"
I think it can better be described as "challenged" -- as in "developmentally challenged" -- if you can stand that pun.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I am waiting for these
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/E...pro/newpro.asp
Expected Release Date:2007-08-31
large screen, large enough to use a4 pdf. And they got 3 diffirent versions of it that might implicate that the simpliest version could be pretty afforable. And it supports rar, which could mean that it support the pretty wide spread comic format .cbr. But it is expected release date, it could very well not be released this year. But they got a turkish reseller that shipps in all of europe (i think)

But this might be a bit OT because it isn't a sony or bookeen, if those are the only options I would choose the bookeen.
The problem as ai see it is this new Wolf format that we know nothing about. It's something new and from what I read, support is not going to start off being all that great. I'm not happy with any new ebook reader that comes out with a NEW format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There is an old wife tale about technology.

There was this wise learned doctor who refused to embrace early photography although he had the means and availability. He always said that it was of no good and he'd wait for the next better issue. As he refused to have his picture taken, no one knew what he looked like after he died and was forgotten. And so was his family.

Live now and have fun discovering.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
stxopher
Nameless Being

I agree on the ability to display JPGs without problem on the current reader. In fact for the limit of grey scale it shows it is a great picture. But from a manga viewpoint, not so hot simply due to the huge eating of memory, the slow load and lack of navigational ability all compared to converting it to PDFs (which look pretty darn good once you spend enough time learning what style needs what settings).

Around here the manga view choices are Tablet>Iliad (when that lucky weasel is in town)>ereader>laptop.

If it wasn't for your saying that it would be primarily manga I would say get one now. A little difference in background grey wouldn't be that bad. But with manga it can be. A lot would also depend on the style of manga read also. Older or more basic art styles (Touch, Love Roma, Lupin) look and read very nice. More intricate work (Boys Be, Negima) or work with a lot of toning (Ai Yori Aoshi, Eyeshield21) can still be read but can lose a lot if it's a first reading.

Best eink reader for manga has got to be that evil fellow out of most of our price range: the Iliad. The greyscale is fantastic and the screen size is the same size or bigger. But for use around here we just picked up a cheap laptop at half the price and use it instead.

The point of always waiting, never getting is a good one which is why I usually run on the "2 month" rule for major purchases (especially in electronics). If there is supposed to be something with a major change within that time frame then I wait until the end of that time to make a purchase. Not to decide if am going to get something (since I've already decided to get the item) but to allow any change that was supposed to occur to arrive and see if that affects my choice of WHICH item to get. Two months roll around (or the promised event happens early) then I get what I had planned on getting.

Around here the last week in August is penciled in as "ereader days". 4 people have their money set aside and their first choices picked but are waiting until then to make the actual buys. This would because of the possible release of 3 new readers as well as some strongly hinted upgrades of one established reader. (And just for the count, it's 3 Sonys and an Iliad on the pick charts.)
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #21
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
OK. partly because of this thread, but also because I wanted to do so, i've written a comprehensive review on the Sony Reader's "sequential art"-displayingcapabilities.

http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html

This should help you out a bit. (comments appreciated)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
<snip>
I'm not meaning to argue, but that statement seems to suggest that you don't consider Sony's Connect Store to be a source for modern best-selling fiction, and I'm curious as to why not.
Possibly because Sony's Connect Store is practically unusable? Or maybe because they've locked out anyone who doesn't use Windows? Or because they hide books from their own search function? Or...

I know, I know... You already knew all of that and were just yanking our chains. Right?
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Possibly because Sony's Connect Store is practically unusable? Or maybe because they've locked out anyone who doesn't use Windows? Or because they hide books from their own search function? Or...

I know, I know... You already knew all of that and were just yanking our chains. Right?
Well, yeah, besides all that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by loci View Post
i will mainly be using it for jpg manga/comics
From [Bookeen] Official answer for battery and some general information:
Quote:
Concerning images, we have implemented a very good dithering algorithm which renders an astonishing image quality.
It will be interesting to see how the Cybook compares to the Sony for jpegs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It will be interesting to see how the Cybook compares to the Sony for jpegs.
It will indeed. I think personally that the Sony does a pretty amazing job of rendering a full-colour JPEG on a 4 colour grey-scale screen - in many of the illustrated books that I've created for the Reader I'm amazed at how well the pictures are displayed. If the CyBook can do even better, I very much look forward to seeing it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #26
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
In my opinion jpeg will be better rendered with the "2nd generation"
of Vizplex screens, the first ones which are gonna be released will only
support 4 level of greyscale (2-bit) whereas next ones will support
16 level of greyscale (3-bit). I've been told that's not an issue with the
screen itself but with the controler.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #27
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I remember some discussions (not sure where, I think not here) last fall before I bought my Sony in November that made it seem as if there were about to be many more e-ink devices released any day now that would render the Sony to the scrap heap of history. It has been nine months and I am yet to see anything new that exceeds the Sony.

In that time I've read hundreds of books, saved countless trees (well countless small trees), met some great folks here at MobileRead, learned about BookDesigner and libprs500, and generally had a great time. If I had waited ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #28
guguy
Groupie

Well, if I had known about ebook devices 6 months ago sure I wouldn't
have waited but right now we are less than 2 month before the
launch of the Cybook, and even if it isn't a REVOLUTION it is a great
EVOLUTION. Even though few people here get it, the support of mobipocket
is quite important since it is owned by Amazon, once more it will be
half a centimeter thinner, weight only 180g and have a better screen.
Not to mention a better warranty which will cover Europe too!
It is enough for me to wait 2 months, once more during the while I can
borrow all the books I want at the library, so...
Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Well, if I had known about ebook devices 6 months ago sure I wouldn't
have waited but right now we are less than 2 month before the
launch of the Cybook, and even if it isn't a REVOLUTION it is a great
EVOLUTION. Even though few people here get it, the support of mobipocket
is quite important since it is owned by Amazon, once more it will be
half a centimeter thinner, weight only 180g and have a better screen.
Not to mention a better warranty which will cover Europe too!
It is enough for me to wait 2 months, once more during the while I can
borrow all the books I want at the library, so...
If the Cybook is delayed from it's projected release date, what are you going to do then? I cannot say it will or will not be delayed. But, the NEAB version of the Cybook has been VERY delayed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #30
guguy
Groupie

If it's delayed, and I don't think so, I'll probably buy a sony reader which will
probably be cheaper and maybe available in europe...