Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #61
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
For Taming or other BT

Question for Taming or other beta testers. In order to get the preloaded books off my Kobo-O I renamed the sqlite db file to sqlite old, resynced yada yada. at any rate do you know if I will be able to update to 1.8 having done this or should I restore my kobo to factory and rename the sqliteold.db back to sqlite?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #62
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know for sure. I don't think here will be a problem, but I'm not an expert in this end of it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #63
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Question for Taming or other beta testers. In order to get the preloaded books off my Kobo-O I renamed the sqlite db file to sqlite old, resynced yada yada. at any rate do you know if I will be able to update to 1.8 having done this or should I restore my kobo to factory and rename the sqliteold.db back to sqlite?
The sdcard method formats the device and puts all the preloads books back. The desktop sync then restores any kobo purchased books or calibre can be used to put your books back on the device. I am unsure what the desktop updgade does.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #64
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

I think that the safest thing to do would be to restore the original sqlite db and restore the kobo to factory default. I'm inbetween books anyway so it's a good opportunity to do a little KOBO house cleaning.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #65
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Any news on when Australian customers (who get their update via Borders) will get the update?

Re the page turns - I actually didn't think they were very slow. Certainly a lot faster than a PBook Perhaps I just like to be very relaxed and slow when I read....
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #66
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Any news on when Australian customers (who get their update via Borders) will get the update?
I asked Kobo staff and they said: "We will be updating those partners soon. Right now the only people who are getting the 1.8 upgrades are those that see pink and teal in their desktop apps."

In Canada I see teal--not sure who gets the pink desktop app.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #67
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Ooh - it's just popped up with a message about a new update (that was quick Taming!) I might wait to load it tomorrow so I have plenty of time to go through it all properly.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #68
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The update should be good to go within an hour or so.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #69
baronrus
Addict

where in canada are you Taming? your post says 10:25, I'm in Winnipeg and I dont think that there is anywhere in Canada that is 6 hrs different from Winnipeg?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #70
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Misc information, now that the update is happening.

There is a small group of people that have downloaded the 1.8 firmware. Those people will have to do press Control+Shift+U (Windows) or Cmd+Shift+U (MAC) when the desktop application opens to get upgrades.

Anyone who has the 1.8 desktop will get the upgrade prompt if they plug in a 1.0 or 1.4 Kobo Reader.

Any Kobo Wi Fi users will get the new Desktop at the same rate as
original Kobo users. They'll get the new Desktop features but there
won't be any change to their Kobo Wi Fi's.

An unofficial Linux desktop application will be put together in the next day or so. They need to test the upgrade with it before they make it available. Note: Kobo does not officially support Linux, but some of the beta testers work in Linux and we have been getting Linux versions pretty regularly.

Last edited by taming; 12-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #71
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
where in canada are you Taming? your post says 10:25, I'm in Winnipeg and I dont think that there is anywhere in Canada that is 6 hrs different from Winnipeg?
I'm in Red Deer, AB. and my post shows the right time (now 3:42) on my posts on this end.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #72
baronrus
Addict

???? my computer time is set correctly your post comes in at 10:42
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #73
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I don't know what to say. Such is life
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #74
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
baronrus

You need to set your time zone if you haven't already done so.

User CP, then Edit Options then scroll down to Date & Time Options and change GMT to your time zone settings.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #75
baronrus
Addict

I am just updating to 1.8 now. After I pushed the buttons to get the red light and plug teh kobo back in. windows 7 looked for a driver update everything was ok. I then got a windows message saying that I have to restart teh computer to apply the windows update. This happens right after you get a kobo message saying not to disconect the kobo. I did not restart the computer and it seems to be going ok for now? fingers crossed