Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
kodancer
kodancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
My campus network doesn't support kindle

And I just got the Kindle 3 with wifi today :\ tough luck haha

Anyway, I was wondering how hard or time consuming it would be to add the kindle to the campus network. I might persuade the IT guys here to do this if it's not much of a hassle. I doubt that it would take much to add this feature, but I could be wrong.

Also, if I do happen to be wrong, is there a way around to using wifi on my kindle?

Thanks!
kodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
You must contact the IT personnel of your campus. It may be a RADIUS server login, WPA2 Enterprise, MAC locking and so on... Or provide us to read your campus web site regarding the use of the campus network (instructions how to use the network) before you can get help here.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kodancer

Take a moment, click on the 'introduce yourself' link below, start a new thread and join the rest of us...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
my campus has the same problem(WPA2+Enterprise), but they offer an unsecured "guest" network...

no matter what, you still need to be able to log onto the wifi network using your credentials, so unless your IT guys are willing to whitelist your MAC(this method isn't good), ask Amazon to allow WPA2+Enterprise options on the kindle
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Same deal here... can't access the campus network because of a WPA2 Enterprise network.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I just have the pc version. Not sure if you can do this but worth trying. Why not install the pc or mac kindle. Download the book to your pc and then tranfer it to the kindle. May not be as convenient but will allow you to continue enjoying your kindle.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
I just have the pc version. Not sure if you can do this but worth trying. Why not install the pc or mac kindle. Download the book to your pc and then tranfer it to the kindle. May not be as convenient but will allow you to continue enjoying your kindle.
Good suggestion! However, you will need to make one change to your procedure. If the book has DRM, the copy you download to pc/mac Kindle won't work on you Kindle without some DRM shenanigans.

Building on your original suggestion, however, the solution is even simpler. You don't even need to install pc/mac Kindle. On Amazon use your Kindle account and look at your book purchases. For each purchase, choose the option to "Download to Your Computer" (or something like that). This lets you get a copy to your PC that you can then copy over.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote