Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Spiders

They make me physically ill... It's been raining a lot here lately, and the spiders come inside the house...

The other night I had the biggest spider I ever saw in my bedroom, right next to the door, which is in the corner of the room. I managed to get out to pick up the bug spray, and eventually it died (drowned, probably)...

Today again, it was pouring down with rain, and I felt sick... to the point where I couldn't go to work, thinking about seeing another huge spider in my house...

I really need help...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ahhhh *pets* I'm the same way about snakes
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
LtDARKPhoeniX
LtDARKPhoeniX began at the beginning.

Device: None
Get some cats ours catch spiders but we don't realy have poisonous ones so.....
LtDARKPhoeniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various

desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I share your dread of the grizzly beasties! Outside the house OK. Inside the house = dead spider. And cats do help hunt them down!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Australia has bad spiders too. Those funnel webs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I find that with spiders (and snakes) the best strategy is to leave them alone and they will leave you alone. We get some very large spiders here but they are harmless. If spiders are in a place like the kitchen I either use the glass and sheet of paper technique and put them outdoors or "encourage" them to go outside with a broom. They actually get rid of a lot of mosquitoes and flies (far worse pests). I only ever kill poisonous spiders in the house (red-backs and white-tailed spiders).
Snakes are beautiful creatures and an important part of the ecosystem. Like most wild animals they usually only attack if threatened. But f you see one in your house call in a professional snake catcher, unless you actually can tell the difference between a highly poisonous brown snake and a harmless python!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
But f you see one in your house call in a professional snake catcher, unless you actually can tell the difference between a highly poisonous brown snake and a harmless python!
A bloke died here last week from a Tiger snake bite. The snake was only a foot long. Shows how venomous they are!

We kill redbacks, white tails and black house spiders on sight. I do the great white hunter act and catch huntsmen being harmless. They belong out and not inside.

My wife was bitten on the neck in the car by a large whitetail about a month before our wedding. It was quite a worry, but the doctor pumped her full of antihistamines, which prevented the allergic reaction that causes all those problems associated with whitetail bites.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

My wife was bitten on the neck in the car by a large whitetail about a month before our wedding. It was quite a worry, but the doctor pumped her full of antihistamines, which prevented the allergic reaction that causes all those problems associated with whitetail bites.
Yes, I have seen the effects of poorly treated whitetail spider bites - they can cause tissue necrosis and keep recurring. Hope your wife recovered fully!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I was outside at work sitting on a step reading. There is a bridge above that lets patients walk from the main hospital to the clinic. So I'm sitting there, reading, and I see this thing to my left. I look and it's a spider on my arm- I brush it off and look down and I was covered in spiders! They were only little ones but still! It was so gross, they were in my purse and everything! Yucky!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
spiders do not normally bother me, but long ago when I first got out of the Army and was going to college I was on a part time crew that was winterizing homes for the elderly and low income. I was knocking out a bunch of plywood that was around the foundation of a house, had my hand through an opening and was beating outward with a hammer when all of a sudden my arm felt all "crawly". I pulled my arm out and I had what seemed to be dozens of small black widow spiders from my fingertips to my shoulder. I started dancing around, pulling my shirt off, one of the guys on the crew saw what was going on and turned a hose on me. all the other guys were of course perplexed as to why I was being hosed down in the middle of a Colorado winter ;o(
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Lene, I can't blame you. You have some pretty bad spiders in your neck of the woods. Yesterday, while I was sitting on my sofa reading from my new PRS-650, I noticed a spider web outside my front window going across the walk way to my front door. All I can say, is thank goodness I didn't "notice" it when I went out that evening. It was a Florida crab spider, which I would never have realized were spiders if they didn't make big round webs. You really can't see their legs, and when you do, they're situated under their crab like shell, so it looks like some kind of weird bug.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I may not be as bad as you lene but I've been known to be the first one of the room if there is sufficiently creepy enough looking spider in it. I've never thrown the kids in front of me or anything but .... well umm nevermind .....

Snakes are ok, we dont get them in the house, and we dont have any poisonous ones anyway. What scares the heeby jeebies out of me mostly are wasps and bees in the house - I'm pretty sure we have a nest in the attic, and we lit the fireplace for the first time over the weekend and ended up with two of them in there - I'm hoping they were in the chimney and that all their friends flew out the top.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I always wanted to visit Australia.

Until I found out about the spiders there. Which make me say: thank you, but no thanks!

I'm getting past the point where I'll scream from the little ones, but they musn't grow larger than 5mm.... I've been known to utter some very weird sounds and do even weirder movements...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Just tell yourself it's not a spider. It's just a dog in a really bad costume.

jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote