Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #16
IvyRose
Ebbok-Junkie
IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'IvyRose can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3G, iphone 3GS
I have dropped my 505 several times in the living room on the carpet and on wooden floor. Once it hit the wood so hard the Memory Stick flew out like a little rocket. Nothing happened to the 505 so far and the Memory stick is ok as well. Lately I dropped my 350 on the same carped from the sofa and nothing happened.

Last winter I had an Cybook Opus which I put into my backpack side-pocket. I slipped on a patch of ice and fell on the backpack. Well...what can I say....the Opus was finished. It was bent right in the middle like a piece of cardboard. And even though the Sonys are a lot sturdier than the Opus I doubt they would survive 70 kg dropping on them
IvyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #17
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
I've had my PRS 505 dropped a few times over the years and it's got a nasty ding on one corner but it continued to work until i dropped it one last fatal time.

No screen damage (ie not cracked) but i suspect that electronics powering the e-ink conked out, and I was left with some nasty artefacts that wouldn't go away.

The same was true for my PRS 600.
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
k.rad
k.rad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Seems tough enough... or i was just lucky.
Just lucky is my guess ;p

They do seem to be built pretty solid, but the screen is the obvious weak point that I worry about. My 650 gets some relatively rough treatment as well, in its Sony softcase, and I would like a good hardcase so I can throw the thing in my bag and not worry about the screen so much.
k.rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rad View Post
Just lucky is my guess ;p

They do seem to be built pretty solid, but the screen is the obvious weak point that I worry about. My 650 gets some relatively rough treatment as well, in its Sony softcase, and I would like a good hardcase so I can throw the thing in my bag and not worry about the screen so much.
If I look at my BBMini (I leave the Sony at home), which I put in my bag, and gets some very rough treatment (I usually dump everything in my bag, irregardless of what's already in there) it is still looking as new. And I often have to go digging for it, as my wallet, my PDA and my laptop power supply are somewhere on top of it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Could've been luck i suppose... but it got treated pretty rough.
The sony softcover is so much better than the lighted-cover IMO
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
All up I'd say the news from this thread had been pretty good. I agree that luck must play a significant part, even so I really was expecting a few more horror stories about how this or that one got destroyed. Most of the reports seem very positive, makes me feel like a I made a good choice.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #22
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
The PRS650 is built like the proverbial brick $&^%house compared to most of the flimsy plastic readers. I feel a lot less nervous handling it than my kobo for instance.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #23
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
haha omg the kobo. My friend bought one when they first came out, and returned in 2 days later

I think only worth buying as a replacement screen for a sony e reader.
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I briefly fiddled with (an original model) kobo a while back at Borders -- one word: S - L - O - W!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote