Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Finally made the plunge!

At last!! I finally got my hands on a Sony reader!!! And my gosh does it look nice!
I’ve been looking at some of the books you guys have uploaded and they are great! The delay on a page turn is to me, is the same as turning a page. I’m really impressed and very glad I spent the money on it.

Now to the complaints :$ I’m trying to register with the connect store and have had no luck so far! My status (in the connect software) just seems to hang half way through the ‘authorize pc’ process.

Has anyone else had this problem? The connect software version is 1.1.00.13290 and I’m running XP. I’ve tried it on two different machines with the some result! Oh, and I’m outside the US (in EU) so could that be the problem? On registering the software I also clicked the ‘live in US box’.

If anyone has any idea what’s up I’d love to know!
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Bierius
Enthusiast

OK on the 8th attempt It finally worked! Hmm, sorry to be asking so many questions but how do you get your free $50 voucher? There was nothing in the box and I don’t seem to have any online credit loaded.
Advert
Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierius
OK on the 8th attempt It finally worked! Hmm, sorry to be asking so many questions but how do you get your free $50 voucher? There was nothing in the box and I don’t seem to have any online credit loaded.
Hi Bierius,

Congratulations on your new Reader.

For instructions about how to use the credit, please go to the "Reader Content" subforum and read the sticky "How do I claim the Connect credit" thread at the top of the forum.

Enjoy your Reader!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
have faith my friend, have faith. it will happen just give it another ten or so tries. mine went in in less than twenty.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I spent the best part of two hours trying to activate my reader today.

Then I spent another two hours trying to download the books I bought with the $50 credit.

Then I decided I won't actually use real money on that evil, evil store.
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
Bierius
Enthusiast

Finally got it all sorted and have managed to download my first (DRM) ebook. My next step is to learn how to format the old Gutenberg ebooks Should be much easier now there is all this great information on the forum.

There is one thing I noticed which may help newbies like me updating their connect software to the version I listed in the first part of this post. After the new software update finished downloading I followed the prompt and clicked install. This all seemed to go smoothly, however, when I checked for new updates it would restart the whole process and download the same update patch again. After several attempts (on two systems) I realised that if I unplugged my reader from the usb during the update process, all worked as it should.

This issue may have been discussed already in an earlier post, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierius
My next step is to learn how to format the old Gutenberg ebooks Should be much easier now there is all this great information on the forum.
If you just want to read something once and then ditch it, a very quick and easy way is to use the Word macro by Stingo that you'll find in the forum "Wiki". Save the file as RTF to load into the Reader.

If it's something you want to keep long-term, and you want to make a nice job of it and create a "proper" Sony Reader eBook, with table of contents, pictures, etc, there's a fabulous tool called "Book Designer" which many of us are now using. In the sticky "Tutorials" thread in the "Book Uploads" subforum you'll find a detailed tutorial one of our forum members wrote which shows exactly how to do it.

Enjoy your Reader!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I got my Reader yesterday, delivered to me at work. Wow I', even more impressed than I expected - it just looks so damm cool and with shiny bits too

Guy I share an office with was sceptical right up until I opened the box...now he's after one too

I got it home, connected it up to my PC, loaded the conect software, registered first time, authorised my PC and my Reader and spent $46.80 of my $50 free credit

Still waiting on my Silk Pagoda DVD coming, but at the moment I have 18 books on the Reader which will keep me busy for a while at least.

I couldn't be happier
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Gravitas: so how did you find reading the converted PDFs on it?
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
The text is not as clear as non-pdf converted documents, but is perfectly readable so long as I up the font size to medium. I may try the same document again with the pngs optimized to see if that improves the text any, but I'm happy with how it is at the moment.

Nice work
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote