Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
En garde!

I'm hunting for the best sword fights in literature. Not the best story, necessarily, but the best blow-by-blow descriptions of the duel itself. Thrust - parry - riposte - lunge; that sort of thing.

Any ideas for me?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Pulpmeister
Addict
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Rafael Sabatini is a start. He was a conscientious researcher and knew his stuff. Several of his books have sword duels. i haven't read "Scaramouche" lately, which has a French revolution setting, but I recall that "Scaramouche" himself became a fencing master.

"The Lion's Skin" has a sword duel as a key element.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, PM!

Sabatini certainly does know his stuff! A skilled writer, as well; he keeps me turning the pages.

I will advance The Lion's Skin to the top of TBR!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840
It's been a long time since I read it, but "Perchance to Dream" by Mack Reynolds (scifi) had some sword fighting scenes in it. I can't remember if they were accurate though, but they were important to the story. The sword fighting was done using Roman short swords, and was about battle sword work rather than fencing. Like I said, I can't remember if the descriptions are detailed or not, but it may be worth checking out to see if they are.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
KJ Parker's "Fencer Trilogy". Parker's writing is not everyone's cup of tea, but his knowledge of fencing, sword/armor-making, and the engineering of medieval warfare in general is quite extensive. He also has a standalone novel called Sharps that is centered around fencing.

Paul Edwin Zimmer (Marion Zimmer Bradley's brother) wrote the "Dark Border" fantasy duology (there were some other books tacked on as after thoughts later, but I don't really include them). Zimmer was a swordmaster himself, and the sword fights in those two books were some of the most memorable I've ever read.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+ / Surface Pro 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Paul Edwin Zimmer (Marion Zimmer Bradley's brother) wrote the "Dark Border" fantasy duology (there were some other books tacked on as after thoughts later, but I don't really include them). Zimmer was a swordmaster himself, and the sword fights in those two books were some of the most memorable I've ever read.
He and his sister also wrote the Hunters of the Red Moon and it's sequel The Survivors. They are science fiction and the hero is a master of the katana.

There is also the four book series Kensho. It is science fiction too. I do not think it is available as ebooks though.
Wayfarer
Kensho
Satori
The Wanderer

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Thanks, JSW. I'm due to re-read Three Musketeers. Wish it had a better ending.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It's been a long time since I read it, but "Perchance to Dream" by Mack Reynolds (scifi) had some sword fighting scenes in it. I can't remember if they were accurate though, but they were important to the story. The sword fighting was done using Roman short swords, and was about battle sword work rather than fencing. Like I said, I can't remember if the descriptions are detailed or not, but it may be worth checking out to see if they are.
Looks waaaaaaay out of print, but I'll put it on my radar! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
He and his sister also wrote the Hunters of the Red Moon and it's sequel The Survivors. They are science fiction and the hero is a master of the katana.

There is also the four book series Kensho. It is science fiction too. I do not think it is available as ebooks though.
Wayfarer
Kensho
Satori
The Wanderer

Apache
I have all those in paper, but unfortunately, I don't think any are available in ebook. Paul Zimmer died back in 97. I'm not sure what happened to Dennis Schmidt, author of the Kensho series. The Hunters of the Red Moon and the Survivors is available as an ebook. While I really enjoyed the series, it's pretty obscure and hard to find now. Both series seem to be orphaned.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
hildea
Groupie
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had a BeBook Neo earlier)
Ellen Kushner's Riverside books -- "Swordspoint" and "The Priviledge of the Sword".
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+ / Surface Pro 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have all those in paper, but unfortunately, I don't think any are available in ebook. Paul Zimmer died back in 97. I'm not sure what happened to Dennis Schmidt, author of the Kensho series. The Hunters of the Red Moon and the Survivors is available as an ebook. While I really enjoyed the series, it's pretty obscure and hard to find now. Both series seem to be orphaned.
Yes they are. I have all of them in paper and they are well worn. If they were available in ebook, like Hunter's of the Red Moon and Survivor, I would buy them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Ellen Kushner's Riverside books -- "Swordspoint" and "The Priviledge of the Sword".
Ooh! This might be just the thing!

Many thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yes they are. I have all of them in paper and they are well worn. If they were available in ebook, like Hunter's of the Red Moon and Survivor, I would buy them.
Apache
Same here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I second KJ Parker.
Also The Greatcoats sieries by Sebastien de Castell
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote