Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #20041
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Burglar in the Closet by Lawrence Block and it was better than the last one in the series.

Next up Flowers for Algernon by the late Daniel Keyes

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #20042
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Case of the Sulky Girl by Erle Stanley Gardner. One of the better ones, in which everyone seems flustered and confused over Perry Mason's seeming lack of interest in defending his two accused clients. But all the while Mason's been slowly sneaking up on his quarry from behind a horse.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-25-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Add bold.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #20043
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I think. Nope, Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, another purchase from early this year.
I think I first read that 15 years ago and I enjoyed it just as much now as I did then. I have the second book on hold now and I don't think I have read the third book for some reason, possibly lack of availability at the time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #20044
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just started His Robot Wife: Patience is a Virtue by our own Wesley Allison (HistoryWes at MobileRead). This is the third book in this enjoyable series, which started with His Robot Girlfriend followed by His Robot Wife.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #20045
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Next up Flowers for Algernon by the late Daniel Keyes

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this classic.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #20046
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "King of the North", the first half of the "Tale of the Fox" omnibus by Harry Turtledove. This is a part of my "catch up on my Baen purchases" project: I originally bought this book in June 2000 (yes, I've got quite a lot of catching up to do ).

Quote:
Ever since the catastrophic Werenight isolated the Northlands from the Elabonian Empire, Gerin the Fox has hoped to settle down as the peaceful ruler of Fox Keep ... but destiny seems to have other ideas. The Voice of the god Biton prophesies danger to the Northlands.

Gerin has already beaten off invaders, both human and inhuman. But this time he faces an invasion by the Gradi, led by their cold, fierce gods. Gerin has to fight fire with fire by invoking all the supernatural help he can get from the capricious god Mavrix, the aloof but powerful Biton, and the more elemental gods of those who live beneath the ground.
Very good fantasy. I don't know if this book is still available to buy but, if it is, I recommend it.

Unfortunately the first two books in the series, collected in a Baen omnibus edition called "Wisdom of the Fox", are not available as ebooks, but don't let that put you off; this omnibus is eminently readable without them.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-26-2014 at 04:00 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #20047
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, A Mighty Fortress, book #4 in the Safehold series from David Weber. I'm doing a combined audio/eBook read of this.

Followed by How Firm a Foundation, #5 in the series.
Slightly better, but not great yet. The next book in the series, Midst Toil and Tribulation is read by Kevin T. Collins, who can be very good, or really not. This one is so far not his best reading, but it may settle down and work. I admit, I'm not looking forward to this book overall, since a number of reviewers seem to think it's the weakest of the series. And I think this may well be the point I phased out of the series the first time I read it.

OTOH, I've also started reading Broken Homes, #4 in the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series from Ben Aaronovitch. I'm really enjoying this series, and it's a plus that it's also available as an Audible book, read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, who does a superb job with it. Unfortunately, while the first three books in the series are WhisperSync for Voice enabled, this book is not. Very annoying.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-26-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added Audible link
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #20048
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I recently finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. I'm not really sure about this one. It was just okay, not his usual type of book.

Then, I read Rescue at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels, a Harlequin Intrigue book. Good romantic suspense/mystery. A nice light read, short and to the point.

Now going to read Wedding at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels.

Also, I'm reading some Star Trek graphic novels, based on the recent movies.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 06-26-2014 at 01:26 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #20049
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I recently finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. I'm not really sure about this one. It was just okay, not his usual type of book.
I read that recently and thought it was pretty good. No supernatural elements to the book but I thought it was a well written, suspenseful thriller.

Reading some Chris Kuzneski books now and getting a bit annoyed with some of the silly mistakes in them. At one point, a plan is described as "full-proof"! Isn't that the kind of mistake that professional writers should have left behind them?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #20050
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Crown of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon. It's looking good - I suspect it may keep me up late tonight. This is the last in this series, so I'm hopeful that it will resolve lots of plot lines.
A good conclusion. Lots gets resolved. And although, if she wanted to do more, there's more that could be done, it's probably best to leave things here, IMO.

Next up: Night Moves by Walter Jon Williams. A cheap SF reprint I picked up in October 2013. Quite fun, and I want to see what happens, but I'm unsure the writer can resolve things in a way I'll be happy with. We'll see.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #20051
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A good conclusion. Lots gets resolved. And although, if she wanted to do more, there's more that could be done, it's probably best to leave things here, IMO.

Next up: Night Moves by Walter Jon Williams. A cheap SF reprint I picked up in October 2013. Quite fun, and I want to see what happens, but I'm unsure the writer can resolve things in a way I'll be happy with. We'll see.
I've been holding off buying this, since I have a couple of series on my active reading list, but I suspect I'm going to break down soon and buy it. I'm glad to hear she's tying up a lot of loose ends.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #20052
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
...Reading some Chris Kuzneski books now and getting a bit annoyed with some of the silly mistakes in them. At one point, a plan is described as "full-proof"! Isn't that the kind of mistake that professional writers should have left behind them?
It depends on the context, doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fool-proof vs full-proof.PNG
Views:	184
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	124674  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-26-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #20053
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Went on a little e-books buying frenzy with the codes from Kobo's recent trivia contest. Now I'm having a case of "too many books, too little time" LOL!! So I'm currently reading and "clearing" off all the shorter e-books first before I get started on the longer running ones. I just started "Taken in Death" by J.D Robb today and I am hooked!

I think this thread is also great for checking out some books I've never heard off before!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #20054
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
I just finish reading Cracks in the Sidewalk by Bette Lee Crosby

I personally cried thru 95% of the book but it was wonderful. Genre is family saga. A story with lots of heart that pulls are your soul. 5 stars from me.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #20055
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Slightly better, but not great yet. The next book in the series, Midst Toil and Tribulation is read by Kevin T. Collins, who can be very good, or really not. This one is so far not his best reading, but it may settle down and work. I admit, I'm not looking forward to this book overall, since a number of reviewers seem to think it's the weakest of the series. And I think this may well be the point I phased out of the series the first time I read it.

OTOH, I've also started reading Broken Homes, #4 in the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series from Ben Aaronovitch. I'm really enjoying this series, and it's a plus that it's also available as an Audible book, read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, who does a superb job with it. Unfortunately, while the first three books in the series are WhisperSync for Voice enabled, this book is not. Very annoying.
Finished Broken Homes. Great series, I can't wait for the next one, due out this fall I think.
Spoiler:
Though he really doesn't have to end up each book with a major piece of London being blown up.

Back to reading and listening to Midst Toil and Tribulation. It's slow going so far, which is about what I'd expected. But as usual with Weber, I keep slogging on...