Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
mdt1007
mdt1007 began at the beginning.

De-authorizing our devices

why can't we de-authorize all of our devices from the control center in Connect, but rather must have a Sony representative do it? It's not like they won't do it when you ask them to so I really don't see the reason for such hassle. Anyone, ideas?
mdt1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I don't have the Sony Reader yet, having to save up for one (which will happen soon), so this message is confusing for me.

What is this process about? Why would you want a device de-authorized, and is it possible to authorize it through more than one computer? I figured it was like a palm handheld in that you simply hook it up to your computer and load the content or delete the content (I do know that deleting content can only be done from the computer).

Any further clarification on this would be much appreciated so I'll know what to expect when I finally get mine.

Thanks!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Authorising is only necessary if you want to buy DRM-protected content from the Sony "Connect" bookstore. If you're just loading your own content onto the Reader (PG stuff, Baen, or whatever), there's no need to authorise it. Yes, you can add or delete content from any PC (any that has the "Connect" software on it, that is).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Thanks! That's what I had suspected but it's good to get it confirmed.

So if I wanted to be able to access the eConnect store from several computers, all using the same Reader, that would mean that each computer would be one of the 6 possible devices, and the Reader would be one more, correct?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
So if I wanted to be able to access the eConnect store from several computers, all using the same Reader, that would mean that each computer would be one of the 6 possible devices, and the Reader would be one more, correct?
That's correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
You can de-authorize your own devices, if they are connected to the Sony Store via their software, i.e. your computer is connected & your reader is plugged in to the USB. However you will only be able to de-authorize that computer, not your others. Each computer will have to connect to be ds-authorized.

Only if (for some reason, e.g. your computer dies) will you need to have Sony de-authorize it. Been there.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Only if (for some reason, e.g. your computer dies) will you need to have Sony de-authorize it. Been there.
Ditto. Got a new notebook and wiped the old one. Only afterwards did I learn that I should have de-authorized the old one first... oh well.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One Reader can be used on multiple PCs as long as all of them are on the same account. One Reader cannot be authorized on multiple accounts. Its Sony's way of keeping you from sharing DRM content with others that are not part of your account.

There was a thread a while back about a son and Mother that each had a Reader and shared the same account -- the son in North America and the Mother in the UK. Thankfully, as I remember, they had the same taste in books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote