Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
arboon
arboon began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML
Angry Boox C67ML stuck in bootloop after update to 1.8.0

Dear all,
recently I bought a C67ML second hand. In good shape and working fine. I though to update it to 1.8.0 to improve pdf reading (1.8.0. includes neoreader, the version I had did not) and to have Google Play.
So, from the Onyx website I downloaded the update.zip file, installed in the root folder, and updated it. Which went fine, until it rebooted and go stuck in a bootloop: the forever screen with starting up.
Of course I tried a reset, recovery and the whole shabang with updating from sd card, even tried 1.7.5 version from the same Onyx site. I also tried factory reset and wiping data/cache.
Does anybody had this issue? I did read someone had a comparable issue and had to ship it to China to get it fixed. No way I am going to do that. I am pretty angry that the official firmware update caused my machine to get sort of bricked. It is useless now.
If anybody has a solution (flash new ROM?) I would love to hear it.
Thanks
Adrian

Last edited by arboon; 01-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.
arboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by arboon View Post
If anybody has a solution (flash new ROM?) I would love to hear it.
Thanks
Adrian
Just try to contact Onyx Int. directly (sales@onyx-international.com) and ask them for MFG Tool for your device. They are quite helpful. It will fix the issue. Unfortunately we didn't offer C67 series in our store and therefore don't have access to the MFG tools for it.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
arboon

Thanks Booxtor, I will surely do that.
But (forgive me my ignorance): what is the MFG tool? and how does it work?
Thanks again
Adrian
Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
It's a windows executable that flashes firmware to your device. There's various MFG tools on Booxtor's ereader-store.de site in the download section. However, these are all for specific devices that they sell. Instructions on how to use it are there as well (namely, which buttons to push, so your device might be different in that regard too).
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:17 AM   #5
arboon

Thanks bsnick. I wait for Onyx to react. otherwise I might follow instructions on this site to flash my device (although I do not yet quite follow).
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
arboon

Issue resolved. I managed to get a 1.7.3 update.zip from a Russian site, and managed to get it installed!! To my great relief it actually worked, so I am back in business. The version includes Google Play, so I could install Repligo reader, my favourite pdf reader.
Won't be updating soon again.
No reaction from Onyx though.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I just tried to update my C67ML Carta2 to 1.8.1 (it had 1.7.5), and I ran into the same bootloop problem. I am going to try to install 1.7.5 again, as that worked before. I have emailed Onyx International about the MFG tool, just in case.

One strange thing: on the Onyx International site, in the list of firmwares, the C67 series is missing (except for the Artatech versions).
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
arboon

On the onyx site, they published a new ROM for C67ML ('factory tool'). This may alleviate the issue of not rebooting. They are not very clear about if this resolves the boot loop. I am happy with 1.7.3, and considering the issues I had with 1.8.0, I am not eager to update. On the other hand, updating is hardly any work...but flashing a new ROM is.
If someone has successfully updated a C67ML to 1.8.1 please let me know. I might reconsider.
Anyway, battery life suck (around 4 hours reading in total), which equals my laptop battery life. But that is for another thread I guess.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
arboon

And, for those suffering from boot loop in a C67ML, I still have the 1.7.3 update.zip, which I can send to you if in peril...
Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #10
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
@downeaster59, you wrote "except of Artatech devices". Does it mean you have seen 1.8.1 for them? Asking because it's still 1.7.5 only there.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:35 AM   #11
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulek View Post
@downeaster59, you wrote "except of Artatech devices". Does it mean you have seen 1.8.1 for them? Asking because it's still 1.7.5 only there.
No, I only wrote that because, at the time, there were no C67 firmwares listed on the Onyx International site except for the Artatech ones (which were, and still are, 1.7.5). Since then, the other C67s have reappeared, with the 1.8.1 firmware.

I hope that Onyx can show a little more love for the Artatech devices!

The 1.8.1 upgrade finally worked for me. The main change is that the user app partition is now over 700 MB. Neo Reader 2.0 has been upgraded. I'm not sure if 1.8.1 has improved battery life or not. I'll have to use it a little longer and see.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
I hope that too... I wrote an email to them. The 700MB is actually the first major improvement for these devices serie .
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
arboon

I got a reaction from Onyx; they state that the factory tool indeed is the program to resolve the boot loop issue. @downeaster59: happy to see you managed to upgrade to 1.8.1, did you use the factory tool?
Cheers
Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #14
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboon View Post
I got a reaction from Onyx; they state that the factory tool indeed is the program to resolve the boot loop issue. @downeaster59: happy to see you managed to upgrade to 1.8.1, did you use the factory tool?
Cheers
Yes, I did. The first factory tool Onyx posted (1.34) didn't work on my Windows 10 PC. So I found a newer version (1.39) that did. Also, initially, the img file Onyx had listed as for my C67ML Carta 2 turned out to be wrong - it was for the C67ML. I emailed Onyx, and they have fixed the issues. So, if you want to upgrade, it should work. Yes, it should fix any bootloop issues.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #15
Senior Junior
Enthusiast
Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx FireFly & Onyx C67ML 8Gb Carta & Asus TF101G
Hi.
Here are the tools for all versions
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...lder=457174832
Under Win10 works perfectly
Inside Chinese version of firmwares.
After a successful installation you can once again to update firmware of update.zip file from the official site.

Last edited by Senior Junior; 02-25-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Senior Junior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c67ml bootloop update