Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Post I've ceased all iLiad development

After a couple PM's on this topic I figure I need to make an explicit announcement.

Due to the lack of reliability of the three iLiad's I've received from iRex (2 DOA's and 1 failed) I have ceased all development for the iLiad. Mark it down as three strikes and they're out, especially with the $100's of USD I've had to pay for shipping on DOA replacements. I'm not pouring any more money into repairing the unit as I've lost all confidence in the reliability of the iLiad hardware. And frankly I'm also tired of listening to them keep making excuses for missed promises.

On advice of legal counsel, my iLiad is not available for purchase.

I will not be maintaining any of the software I've posted. I will not be releasing anything that was under development e.g rtf viewer etc... So please don't ask, I'm attempting to move on.

I'm presently shifting back to Sony Reader development, the dream that was the iLiad is now yesterday's flowers to me.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
This is sad news...
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, it is very sad news with all the hopes there were for the iLiad. Maybe in time they will pull it together. But in the midst of the darkness, there is also the really exciting news for Sony Reader owners that Scotty will be "presently shifting back to Sony Reader development".

Scotty.... I would certainly understand if you prefer not to say, but I'm curious why selling your iLiad would be a legal issue?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
I empathize you scotty on your bad fortune with the hardware. I can consider myself lucky that i had no issues with the hardware as of yet.

It is very sad news that you have completely given up development.
Im hoping that another enthusiast will step up and take it from where u have left it.

I thank you for all the effort you put into the iLiad for the benefit of us all, and wish you good luck with your future endeavours!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Will you be focusing on something for the Sony Reader too ? PDF ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
That is a very sad news, but I understand your reasons, irex should have keept better consideration fo an active developer like you and send you a brand new iliad free.
Bad news for the iliaders good news for the sony ereaders (no more e-mail reader 4 iliad )
Bye
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I can totally sympathize too, three strikes and you're out (especially in a row!). I also think that it's a bunch of BS that they charged you for shipping on their broke product. A company should have enough integrity in their product and support for their customer-base to foot shipping costs of their broken/DOA products.

IMO, in the end it's their loss, as you could've drawn more customers their way with the development you would have put into their product. Sorry for the rant, but I not much for deadbeat business practices; i.e., own up to your product (all companies).

As others stated, on the lighter side it will be nice to have another dev working for the Reader side of the house. Can't wait to try out your code!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
That is a very sad announement. :.-( But i can totally understand your decision.
I hope, you will come back to the iLiad, when iRex comes to their senses.
Meanwhile have fun with the reader
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sad times for all iLiad users...
But happy times for all Reader users!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
After a couple PM's on this topic I figure I need to make an explicit announcement.
Due to the lack of reliability of the three iLiad's I've received from iRex (2 DOA's and 1 failed) I have ceased all development for the iLiad. Mark it down as three strikes and they're out, especially with the $100's of USD I've had to pay for shipping on DOA replacements. I'm not pouring any more money into repairing the unit as I've lost all confidence in the reliability of the iLiad hardware. And frankly I'm also tired of listening to them keep making excuses for missed promises.
I am sorry to hear about that however I do like to reply to your post to clear up somethings.

Together with many other mobileread members you were one of the first to order an in iLiad and initially we did have a few DOA's and you were very unfortunate to receive two in a row. However each time we did our best to ship you a replacement at the soonest.

Your current iLiad is still under warranty so if there is a hardware failure, I recommend to contact out Tech Support center so we can solve it.

Regarding the costs related with one of the returns, there was a misunderstanding and we have offered to settle that bill but never received an answer from you.

and finally, we did offer you an iLiad for developing purpose but this you rejected.

With the means we have, we do try to support our developer community, I think the shell access is a good example here and we still have a few more things on the horizon for those interested to develop for the iLiad.

Anyway I wish you the best with future development project.

regards
Karel
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
scotty1024, this is a very sad announcement, what a set-back for all iLiad fans.
"2 DOA's and 1 failed": what a crap game, I can understand you. This shouldn't be normal.
It's your decision what you do in your leisure time, so I have to accept your decision.

For me it's still complicated to get my feet wet in development for iLiad.
Yes, I have written some command line binaries for test purpose, but modding & porting apps with gui is another story.
I tried to compile & link design256's Gnu Chess port and found some problems.
I will never learn how scotty got the matrix effect & 2-colours-mode in ipdf5.

A great amount of knowledge of porting & modding apps for iLiad got lost. What a sad week.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
cdie
cdie began at the beginning.

Gents, enough grief. If scotty1024 has decided to move on, fine, it's not good, but that's way it is. And there are always two sides to the story (see Karel's post).

My grandpa always used to say: "The grass is always greener on the other side, or at least it appears so." - so be happy with your Sony. I'm happy with my Iliad.
cdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
cleanclear
cleanclear began at the beginning.

Device: TT3/Treo680
scotty1024:
we hope you can come back in iliad...
cleanclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm sad to hear that Scotty1024 has stopped developing for the Iliad.

He did tremendous work in a very short time and we'll sure miss out a lot of interesting stuff for the Iliad without him in the dev. section.

Maybe the Sony Reader developers section will now see more action, or perhaps we'll soon need a STAReBOOK developer section since there has been some interest on both sides (Scotty and staretek) for developing a PDF reader on the STAReBOOK...I hope that perhaps some day we'll have a developer for the Iliad with the same skill as Scotty to pick up where he left off and help the Iliad become more complete.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Frisi42
Frisi42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Irex Iliad
And there are always two sides of the medal.....

Before deciding to buy an Iliad, I was looking in this forum. From all the threads one could really think the Iliad sucks. But it does not! It's a great device and does a good job. I am looking for the next update, too - but more because I am curious not because I need it actually - the Iliad does everything I expect.

I guess Scotty did a good job (for some of you), but he was a hype! I did not need all the developments. I admit, I tried the HP48 Emu - but my real HP48 is much better!

So try to keep fair. Scotty decided to focus his development on the Sony reader - that is his very own decision. For the Sony users this might lead to the impression that the Sony reader needs further development. And it is a great chance for the Iliad to gain ground again.

Farewell Scotty...
Frisi42 is offline   Reply With Quote