Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E Ink patent hints that colored e-paper is on its way

Because we all are just dying for E Ink to hurry up and deliver us a full-fledged colored e-paper displays, we can't help but mention this patent the company has been recently awarded. Patent US 7075502 was originally filed in 1999 and describes "a full color, reflective display having superior saturation and brightness" which is achieved "with a novel display element comprising multichromatic elements."

Quote:
One embodiment of the display employs three sub-pixels, each sub-pixel comprising a capsule including three species of particles which differ visually. Another embodiment of the display employs color filters combined with an encapsulated electrophoretic display to provide different visual states. In still another embodiment, the display employs display elements capable of more than three visual states. In yet another embodiment, the visual display states are selected from specific colors, for example, the primary colors red, green and blue, or their complements, and white and/or black. The display element presents a visual display in response to the application of an electrical signal to at least one of the capsules.
Unlike today's displays from E Ink, which are all based on bichromatic electrophoretic elements capable of displaying various shades of gray, the invention described here could deliver us full-color with the same sweet attributes: flexible, bistable, high brightness and high contrast ratios.

Related: E Ink goes color with new advanced electronic paper
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This is exactly the proportions and shape a reader should be. Color is optional, but being able to show pictures is good. Will $1200.00 be what they ask for?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
wonder how long the refresh times are for that, 1 second for each R/G/B?
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
This is exactly the proportions and shape a reader should be. Color is optional, but being able to show pictures is good. Will $1200.00 be what they ask for?
The E-ink demo readers are exactly what I want in a reader, too. Sadly, they're just proof-of-concept prototypes - E-ink isn't planning on making their own reader.

For another look at what one of their engineers has designed: http://www.positron.org/projects/h2/

And my personal favorite, the ebook reader I would want if I had the money to get one custom-designed and built:
http://www.positron.org/projects/A51/

They're the best-looking readers out there, IMHO.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
KOOOOOL!

Thanks for the pics!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
The E-ink demo readers are exactly what I want in a reader, too. Sadly, they're just proof-of-concept prototypes - E-ink isn't planning on making their own reader.

For another look at what one of their engineers has designed: http://www.positron.org/projects/h2/

And my personal favorite, the ebook reader I would want if I had the money to get one custom-designed and built:
http://www.positron.org/projects/A51/

They're the best-looking readers out there, IMHO.
Yeah, I'd love that with a pen interface.
Going through the sciences, I'd save hundreds of sheets of paper a QUARTER if I could something like that for notes and studying (taking notes and doing problems as I went through the books).

-Drachasor
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
This prototype looks nice. Colored e-paper will be the next step.
But having a patent isn't the same as selling a buyabe product for real.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote