Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
DoctorBri
DoctorBri began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 680, Sony Reader
Document Organizer Software

I'm looking for some software that will organize my documents (research journals, ebooks, lectures, etc.). I looked around on the internet and found some, but haven't found much. Any recommendations? Thanks!
DoctorBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
whatever you have found, please share.

I was looking for something online, in a web interface fashion. I was even considering a simple web File Explorer. I'm at a loss.

What would be perfect is something a bit toned down from Delicious Monster. The books sit on shelved and such.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It'd be helpful if you told us what platform the software should run on.

Doc
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
DoctorBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
It'd be helpful if you told us what platform the software should run on.

Doc
Ha, sorry. XP.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
MatYadabyte
Zealot
MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MatYadabyte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am a big fan of the label method of document organizing as opposed to folders (Gmail and writley use labels, for example) but sometimes you can beat just that top down heircahcial browse through folders to the document you want.

So what you probably want is a bimodal heirachical document catalogue that can work in both the label and the folder methods, but I dont know of any that do this?

What features would your ideal software have ?

Mat
MatYadabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
I really like Evernote. It adds just the right amount of organization without getting stuck on organization. You can use it for many things including daily notes, task lists, web clippings, research documents, and much more. And on top of all of that, it's free.

www.evernote.com
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
DoctorBri

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsRaider
What features would your ideal software have
Mat
I guess I'm thinking along the lines of a database program perhaps (I don't have the time to design a database in Access, though), or Delicious Monster-esque as timmins suggested. I have a large collection of research journals, ebooks, articles, references that I'd like to make sense of. A way to organize and search would be nice. For now I just do the folder thing. I'd also like to make notes about each one, perhaps link them to other articles, or add tags. Stats on how often I use them or when the last time I accessed them as well. This would be my ideal document software, esp. for a tablet pc (w/ color eink screen!)

sangahm: I've tried evernote, and while I like it, it isn't quite what I'm looking for. (I'm excited for their supposed palm version coming out. I've only heard rumors about it, though.)
Old 07-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
markovex
markovex began at the beginning.

Device: HP iPAQ 6315
Don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for but you might want to check out Asksam.
markovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #9
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
This might be a long shot. I came across this looking for something similar, but for ebooks. You may want to download/evaluate it. Apparently the organizing system that it comes with is locked in, but you can add your own folders. It's mostly a front end for VitalSource's ebook outfit, but it's also geared for note-taking, highlighting, reading, etc.

http://www.vitalsource.com/index/bookshelf
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote