Old 01-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Tibor
Enthusiast
Tibor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Problem with SD card

Hi,
I am new in the ereader world.
I compiled a collections of nearly 200 ebooks of differents formats and sizes. I upload them using calibre into my sd card (2 GB). The process of upload end ok. But then the device reset itsef and after start appears the refresh icon (two arrows in circle). After five or six seconds it restart again, and so on to the infinite. If I retire the card the device starts normally. any idea?
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
First of all - welcome to the forum.

I had a different problem with a sd-card over the weekend.
Since i have a sd-card (2gig)and a sony pro duo (1gig) in my 505 i wanted to upload books on both cards, but only the sony pro duo was visible in calibre. when i have both in the reader, it starts up normal and shows the books and music, i have put on with the notebook directly.

Just try, if you can access the sd-card over windows explorer. if not, this special card is not known by the reader or the card is defective.
if the card gets recognize by explorer, load some files on it, delete them and try them again in the reader.

you can also try to access the card via the sony e-library software. if you have vista you can run them side by side without a problem. With this soft i have access to both cards.
hope that was helpfull.

take care

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Hi,
I am new in the ereader world.
I compiled a collections of nearly 200 ebooks of differents formats and sizes. I upload them using calibre into my sd card (2 GB). The process of upload end ok. But then the device reset itsef and after start appears the refresh icon (two arrows in circle). After five or six seconds it restart again, and so on to the infinite. If I retire the card the device starts normally. any idea?
Probably one of the files on the card is causing the reboot. Delete the files on the card and upload in smaller batches till you find the culprit
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Probably one of the files on the card is causing the reboot. Delete the files on the card and upload in smaller batches till you find the culprit
In each test I do I format the card in my computer. It is ready.

Well I have seen the problem is when I upload certain files. I have a sample file which when I upload it causes the problem. Can I send you this file? where do i send it?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

open a ticket on the calibre website and attach the file to it.
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
open a ticket on the calibre website and attach the file to it.
Done. Ticket numeber #1611
Hope you can reproduce it.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Tibor
Enthusiast

Update:

After some tests, I have seen than it happens all times I upload a PDF file.
Any ideas how to solve?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

IIRC, the SONY reader chokes on PDF ersion > 1.4

You should convert the PDF file to LRF or EPUB
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
IIRC, the SONY reader chokes on PDF ersion > 1.4

You should convert the PDF file to LRF or EPUB
Well, I have actually solved the problem.

At first, when I received my device I directly use calibre, because I have Vista and had the famous problem of been imposible to run eLibrary in Vista (I have try everithink I read). I them installed on a XP and run eLibrary and Adobe DE. After than I start having problems, and dont know exactly why, but after a hard fight now my device is running ok, so I suspect my problem was because it is needed to run eLibrary or/and ADE before any PDF operation.
Dont know exactly why it was happening, or if that was the problem, but now it is all OK.

Now the only think I see is than when moving those PDF files to the device, the book explorer in the device dont show the tags I wrote for those PDFs in Calibre. I suspect that because Calibre dont have a plugin to write to them and it is neccesary to do it by hand. isnt it?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibor View Post
Well, I have actually solved the problem.

At first, when I received my device I directly use calibre, because I have Vista and had the famous problem of been imposible to run eLibrary in Vista (I have try everithink I read). I them installed on a XP and run eLibrary and Adobe DE. After than I start having problems, and dont know exactly why, but after a hard fight now my device is running ok, so I suspect my problem was because it is needed to run eLibrary or/and ADE before any PDF operation.
Dont know exactly why it was happening, or if that was the problem, but now it is all OK.

Now the only think I see is than when moving those PDF files to the device, the book explorer in the device dont show the tags I wrote for those PDFs in Calibre. I suspect that because Calibre dont have a plugin to write to them and it is neccesary to do it by hand. isnt it?
yes, calibre doesn't have a pdf metadata setting plugin
Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Tibor
Enthusiast

Quote:
yes, calibre doesn't have a pdf metadata setting plugin
does anybody knows if is there a tool to modify PDF tags?

Tags
sd card problem