Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Impossible synchronisation

I got the 2.8.1 firmware last july and never tried to sync my Glo since. Tonight, I wanted to do so as I've read on my phone and the process is... processing for ever does anyone have an idea of what happen ? It doesn't work with wifi on neither through the kobo desktop app. A known issue ?
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
maslow
maslow began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO by FNAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
does anyone have an idea of what happen ? It doesn't work with wifi on neither through the kobo desktop app. A known issue ?
You could try the two sticky threads on top of the first page: faq's and tip and tricks With 'search this thread' and sync or synchronization in the post you are certainly having a lot to read and to do.

good luck
maslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must be particularly dumb as I haven't found anything about that problem. If anyone could point me to a specific thread that is related (or a workaround) it would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I must be particularly dumb as I haven't found anything about that problem. If anyone could point me to a specific thread that is related (or a workaround) it would be greatly appreciated
It could be a corrupt data base on your device. To fix this log out of your kobo account and back in.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
vice-versa
whippet addict

I'll try first the kobo utilities of Calibre to keep my books' reading status then and try this tip, but last time I checked, my database seemed OK to Calibre. Thanks a lot
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
Threads about this issue are starting to pop up. It does seem to be affecting several others- I know I am one. I have been talking to Kobo everyday about a multitude of issues, so I'll let you know if I discover a fix.
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
vice-versa
whippet addict

I first checked my database with kobo utilities pluggin for calibre : all was ok. I tried to store my reading position => ok for some books but not all (I can't figure out why, but at least it worked for the one I was reading, so, so far, it's ok for me). I signed out and signed in again and now the sync is working nicely, why, I must admit, will, I think, remain a big mystery...
I had read a lot of books that I was to manually reset to "finished" (I hate this and couldn't find a way to store this information in calibre, though there must certainly be a way).

So, this problem isn't one anymore for me (at least for some time I hope)

Last edited by vice-versa; 10-03-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I first checked my database with kobo utilities pluggin for calibre : all was ok. I tried to store my reading position => ok for some books but not all (I can't figure out why, but at least it worked for the one I was reading, so, so far, it's ok for me). I signed out and signed in again and now the sync is working nicely, why, I must admit, will, I think, remain a big mystery...
I had read a lot of books that I was to manually reset to "finished" (I hate this and couldn't find a way to store this information in calibre, though there must certainly be a way).

So, this problem isn't one anymore for me (at least for some time I hope)
Glad it worked. Kobo Utilities does a nice job but sometimes things are what they are. I suspect your book positions for some of the books not being able to be stored are due to a corrupt data base, regardless of the ok status from the Calibre plugin indicating it was ok. Why it gave a good indication I cant say. But I would guess if you were to open those books that you wanted to back up position they would back up now. Any way bottom line is your a happy camper and in the end its what matters.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
vice-versa
whippet addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Any way bottom line is your a happy camper and in the end its what matters.

regards

Jack
Yes, that's what matters The books which positions wouldn't be stored where the one I had already read, so I suspect I messed something with Calibre (Calibre being probably guiltless on that occurence, I, in advance, plead guilty )
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If I recall correctly, the need to log out and back in has "plagued" several firmware versions, at least for some people. Could be a lot worse. I've had to do a factory reset/recovery/update after a firmware update, and trust me, that was way less fun. Not a big deal, but worrying until it at least reverted to the original firmware, and then I got to wonder whether the latest would screw it up all over again! Gotta Lovit.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I first checked my database with kobo utilities pluggin for calibre : all was ok. I tried to store my reading position => ok for some books but not all (I can't figure out why, but at least it worked for the one I was reading, so, so far, it's ok for me).
This is unlikely to be a corrupt database. If it was, there would be errors about not being able to access the database.

One thing I can think of is if you have two copies of a book on the device. It will only get the status from one. Right now, I can't think of exactly which book it would get the status from other than "the wrong one" If that isn't it, but you do work out a pattern, please tell me so I can look into it.
Quote:
I signed out and signed in again and now the sync is working nicely, why, I must admit, will, I think, remain a big mystery...
I have seen extremely long syncs in the past. It usually happens in the "Loading content" phase. I think there are several reasons for this, but the only one I have definitely found was when I had a LOT of shelves. Reducing the number improved things. But, I still see an occasional very long sync.
Quote:
If you manually set the column used for the percent read to 100, when you restore the reading position the book will be marked as finished. The restore treats 100 as finished, no value as unread and any other number as being read.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
vice-versa
whippet addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have seen extremely long syncs in the past. It usually happens in the "Loading content" phase. I think there are several reasons for this, but the only one I have definitely found was when I had a LOT of shelves. Reducing the number improved things. But, I still see an occasional very long sync.
The sync was just processing for ever either via wifi or via kobo desktop app. I tried to let my device plugged to my computer during a whole night and it was always in the same state as before in the morning. It just was stuck there forever.

As for the reading status, I'll try to understand what I messed, but I'm quite sure Calibre is guiltless about it. I don't have so much shelves (it takes about one page and a half on the screen) and it amount to about a hundred books (on or off shelves) so I don't know exactly if it's too much and I have no double books (I checked that) I think I didn't selected them appropriately in Calibre perhaps so their status was not stored or something.

By the way, is it "normal" for a book to be shown when I click the SD card button (I was in the "libraray" beforehand) and in the column "in device" (or something like that) but have no green check. Or is it because the book is on the SD card but is not in the library or do I have to try to match it with a book in the library ? It may be the source of my problem. Perhaps I should just delet all on the SD card and resend the books afterward with calibre. I'll see about that later on, perhaps during week-end.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you say the sync was still going, I've seen this by Kobo Desktop, and normally end up cancelling it in frustration.

Over WiFi I;ve also had sync's that last a long time. Now do you remember, was the spinner still moving, or had it stalled? If it had stalled that normally means Nickel has died on the Kobo and the sync can never complete.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
vice-versa
whippet addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Now do you remember, was the spinner still moving, or had it stalled?
moving round and round for ever.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I recently loaded some books to my Kobo via Calibre and the first batch worked great. The next day I tried to load more, but Calibre could not see the Kobo properly. After that - I could power on, but not see any of the books I had loaded onto the device. I did a factory reset and went to set up the reader again and it gets stuck at the beginning (spinner spinning, but that's it).

If I connect to Calibre, I get the following error:
calibre, version 1.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 480, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 343, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Any idea how I can get this thing functional again?

Thanks!

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote