Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Samsung sees a Retina Display in your tablet future, and perhaps glasses-free 3D

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/23/s...e-and-perhaps/

400 dpi? Sign me up.

Glasses free 3-D? I can't see a thing without my glasses.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I read the article (and comments)... nice Powerpoint slides... but by 2015... already tired of puffware, gave up and got a bargain 10" Android tablet, may not be the ultimate in tech but I've got it now, I'm using it and it does what I want... time to drool over Samsung's stuff when it exists...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
2015 sounds about realistic for large (i.e. 10") 300+ dpi screens, unlike the ridiculous rumours that one was coming for the iPad2.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
... nice Powerpoint slides...
did you notice that one of them was labeled a Mini Pad?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

When is the All Day Pad going to be released? Lasts a whole summer's eve.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Great, so I don't have to buy any new device until 2015.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And with your collection, do we really believe your willpower is that strong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Great, so I don't have to buy any new device until 2015.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
When I read the topic title, I was wondering "Text in 3D? Magic-eye type stuff in my ebooks?"

But... After the synapses started firing, I put two and two together and came up with four (I counted to blern the first time), and this now sounds like a cool idea. It's a decent enough time window for said tech to make it to light.

Of course, it wont me magical until Apple does it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Whoo-hoo -- more resolution, more things we don't really need.

How about working on the back-end stuff we REALLY need. You know, silly little things like lightweight batteries that will actually last more than a couple of hours. My NC does at best 8 hours (and believe me, that's generous). My brand new HTC Inspire sucks down battery power faster than my Suburban eats gas, and will literally die before bedtime.

The guy who makes a battery that can power high-consumption devices yet will last the way the Kindle does will completely change the face of portable consumer electronics. Alas, batteries aren't sexy, so they will continue to be the very last thing manufacturers will address.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And with your collection, do we really believe your willpower is that strong...
You have seen right through me. How embarrasing....
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Whoo-hoo -- more resolution, more things we don't really need.

How about working on the back-end stuff we REALLY need. You know, silly little things like lightweight batteries that will actually last more than a couple of hours. My NC does at best 8 hours (and believe me, that's generous). My brand new HTC Inspire sucks down battery power faster than my Suburban eats gas, and will literally die before bedtime.

The guy who makes a battery that can power high-consumption devices yet will last the way the Kindle does will completely change the face of portable consumer electronics. Alas, batteries aren't sexy, so they will continue to be the very last thing manufacturers will address.
Device manufacturers don't make their own batteries. But yes, battery technology has progressed at a snail's pace. And no breakthrough in sight, it is rather sad. Most of the saving over the years have come from components that use less juice, not from batteries that provide more but weigh the same or less.

Still -- we do want much higher resolution. And try Juice defender for your new phone. My Streak gets me through the day with 30% to spare (without doing tweaking) unless I use WiFi heavily. And it has a much bigger screen than the Incredible.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-25-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

since most battery production comes out of Japan, we better either move to fuel cell batteries or get color EPD displays done and out the door. We won't be seeing much in the way of new battery production for a while. Even the areas unaffected are affected since there is just not enough power or raw materials for now and likely won't be for a long time to come.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote