Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
jlove
jlove began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jtag Nandflash

Hi everyone,

Im new here in this Forum and do NOT have a Kindle YET
Hopefully it will arrive on Monday.
I did read a lot here in this forum about hacks and other things and was wondering if someone actually did use the jtag port to read out the whole Nand chip?
Does someone know the pinout of the jtag port? is it possbile to read it out with a tool like Nandpro?
How about installing the usbnetwork and make an image of the system for future de-bricking of the kindle? Did someone do that?
I just want to get sure that Im on the safe side before doing anything.

Maybe we have some great programmers in here which can program something like Nandpro?

Thanks for the help,

EDIT: I do have an USB-Jtag Adapter. http://code.google.com/p/estick-jtag/
Could this be used for jtagging? Can I use openocd for this?
jlove

Last edited by jlove; 02-18-2011 at 03:01 AM.
jlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I don't think its actually specifically marked out on the Kindle board so you're going to have to look around the various TPs. We do know it is 1.8V so don't attach anything that isn't 1.8V. Docs on the Freescale site for the iMX if you do manage to find the connections which may not actually be bunched together. Detailed MoviNAND docs seem to be fairly hard to find. No idea if OpenOCD or UrJTAG support either chip.

You can make a full backup of your Kindle via the command prompt but you shouldn't distribute it as it will contain Kindle specific data in the block just at the start of the flash e.g. your serial number.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
bob_tm
Enthusiast
bob_tm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I don't think its actually specifically marked out on the Kindle board
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/kindle3.jpg has a JTAG marker on the PCB just above the serial number sitcker. The individual pins are not named, though.

Since connecting a JTAG connector is inconvenient for service, it seems likely that there is a way to flash the firmware via USB. Anybody knows?
bob_tm is offline   Reply With Quote