Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
BeBook/Hanlin or Cybook

Hi, long time lurker here and after much thought I'm about to take the plunge and buy an eink device. I've been reading ebooks on all sorts of things for years but my eyes are starting to feel the strain more so I want to try an eink screen.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a BeBook or a Cybook. I'm not so fussed by design and I prefer Mobi over Sony's DRM format although epub is nice.

Any real points to consider between the two? I'm not fussed by dictionary lookup and I quite fancy playing with Open Inkpot at some point so I'm hedging towards the BeBook although I can grab the Cybook for quite a bit less.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want to read primarily MobiPocket books, get the CyBook - its Mobi support is significantly better than that of the BeBook. If you want to read a wider range of formats, the BeBook is certainly the one to get.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I personally aggree. The CyBook has a much better font rendering than the bebook. I us it for reading fiction since it has the best mobipocket viewer available at the moment.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Wait a little bit. BeBook 2 is around the corner. Between BeBook 1 and Cybook, the later wins.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want to read primarily MobiPocket books, get the CyBook - its Mobi support is significantly better than that of the BeBook. If you want to read a wider range of formats, the BeBook is certainly the one to get.
Thanks, I went for a BeBook in the end. I did a lot of reading and all in all the points that swayed me were:

Better power management - I read in short bursts throughout the day and want to leave it 'on'.

Folder support - I have too many things to read to not have some form of structure

OpenInkpot - I'm a geek, got to play with this.

I thought about waiting for BeBook 2 but I'm impatient and I'm not that fussed over touchscreen or wifi if it's going to cost me more.

Anyway it's literally just out of the box so I'm of to play with it.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
There's apparently also a promise of upgraded firmware this summer that support wifi for the BeBook 1 via a wifi SD card.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good for you - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
There's apparently also a promise of upgraded firmware this summer that support wifi for the BeBook 1 via a wifi SD card.
Yep I read that somewhere which is an added bonus if it turns up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good for you - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Thanks, I really do love the screen. I'm a huge ebook addict and started reading way back on old palm devices so it's nice to finally have something like this.

I may even have to de-lurk here more often now.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
I may even have to de-lurk here more often now.
You'll be very welcome

I've just got a Hanlin clone too (Pixelar, was 20% cheaper for me than the BeBook). This is my third reader, and I hope I've finally found something that cover my needs well.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks for mentioning Pixelar - their prices ARE good for the Hanlin v3...have to see if they will ship to Greece though.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote