Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
NickyNite444
NickyNite444 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook and Surface Pro 3
Don't Know Where to Look!!??

Tried all permutations of my question on this forum still not finding what I want.
I have limited hard drive space but do have external storage. Wish to start my collection on these ext-drives. How do I get the icon on my desktop to recognize new location? and connect to it?
So that when I click the Calibre icon on my desktop it knows to go to my, D, G, E or what ever external connection (SD card) just as if it was set up to go to my normal computers (built in) hard drive. Now I have posted this many times and have never gotten an answer, so perhaps my question is even more incredibly confusing than I imagined. If that is the case will someone...ANYONE ask me additional questions to help me to understand what I am not describing correctly so that I can then be helped, guided and aided through this particular en devour. And so that you will know, I can edit metadata, eliminate copies, create covers and many many of the other options with Calibre but for some reason this specific thing just eludes me. Please help.
NickyNite444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Your question is a calibre question, so your thread has been moved.

Also, you say you've "posted this many times," but you only have one other post!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyNite444 View Post
Tried all permutations of my question on this forum still not finding what I want.
I have limited hard drive space but do have external storage. Wish to start my collection on these ext-drives. How do I get the icon on my desktop to recognize new location? and connect to it?
So that when I click the Calibre icon on my desktop it knows to go to my, D, G, E or what ever external connection (SD card) just as if it was set up to go to my normal computers (built in) hard drive. Now I have posted this many times and have never gotten an answer, so perhaps my question is even more incredibly confusing than I imagined. If that is the case will someone...ANYONE ask me additional questions to help me to understand what I am not describing correctly so that I can then be helped, guided and aided through this particular en devour. And so that you will know, I can edit metadata, eliminate copies, create covers and many many of the other options with Calibre but for some reason this specific thing just eludes me. Please help.
No problem with installed (not portable) Calibre.
Calibre remembers where the LAST USED library was and will open there.

Use the OS (disk manager) to lock the drive letter. I chose L: (for Library), that way it will not be USB port sensitive

With Calibre NOT RUNNING
User the OS to MOVE the Library folder to the new drive (the default name is: Calibre Library, but you can do this with ANY valid Library)

Start Calibre.DON'T PANIC when it complains: Library Not found
(I think it aske if it was moved) answer the question with the new location
OR
right-click the Library Icon: Create Switch: USE EXISTING: <location>

done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
NickyNite444

Other email addresses, which meant other log in's. Changed email services a few times and such. And since I seamed to have posted it to a wrong sector could you do me the courtesy of telling me where it is now posted specifically so I can go there and see if someone does know the answer? I do not know the mapping of this site very well and if I had not posted back on this specific thread I would not have even known you had replied much less anyone else.

UPDate
Never mind it appears that it now posts the replies but still no alerts to email...figure that out later.

Last edited by NickyNite444; 09-12-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 09-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
NickyNite444

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No problem with installed (not portable) Calibre.
Calibre remembers where the LAST USED library was and will open there.

Use the OS (disk manager) to lock the drive letter. I chose L: (for Library), that way it will not be USB port sensitive

With Calibre NOT RUNNING
User the OS to MOVE the Library folder to the new drive (the default name is: Calibre Library, but you can do this with ANY valid Library)

Start Calibre.DON'T PANIC when it complains: Library Not found
(I think it aske if it was moved) answer the question with the new location
OR
right-click the Library Icon: Create Switch: USE EXISTING: <location>

done
Thank you so much. Way more than I expected. I would have been happy with just a link to a site or a page number in some instruction document. Your info was super generous and I humbly thank you. I figured it was probably super simple but with the level of research I am doing right now it became an incredibly huge stumbling block for me. My brain is so configured for Pre-Calculus right now, that boiling an egg would probably stun me into confusion right now.
Once again thank you for your time and certainly your answer. Have a great one.
Advert
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyNite444 View Post
Calculus
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote