Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
muckledug
muckledug began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello from Scotland

Hi there,
My name is Davie Park and I'm in the process of setting up a small publishing business.
I have some experience of 'traditional' publishing but little knowledge of the digital side of things but it will certainly be an important part of my business.
I'm here to learn and, hopefully, you good people can help.

Davie.
muckledug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Davie.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome good luck with your startup!
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Welcome to MR!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Davie, welcom to MR from the Netherlands
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome Dave. I'm another Scot, in exile in Newfoundland at the moment.

But as a Scottish writer, I'm always happy to see home-grown publishing initiatives. I'll be looking out for you.

Willie
williemeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Davie and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Best of luck with your new publishing endeavor :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Davie. Would be interested to hear more about your publishing plans. I've headed up the editorial side of our own indie house for the past ten years (link below) and, although we've always covered paperback titles with ebook editions, we've really beefed up the digital side of things over the past eighteen months. It can be a muckle technical challenge at times. Best of luck and Slainte for Hogmanay. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Check out the Wiki, too, for information ...

Slainte (for everyday, not just Hogmanay)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
muckledug

Thanks for the welcome folks - I hope your goodwill remains when I start annoying you with silly questions!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
muckledug

Cheers, Neil. I checked out the bewrite website - very impressive I must say. It certainly shows what can be done. My plans are relatively modest at the moment. I have my sights set on a potentially profitable non-fiction niche which I believe is best exploited digitally. I'm a one man band and my experience of publishing, other than a stint as a proof reader just after leaving university, has been in a strictly amateur context.
I have always worked with PDF files created from Word documents. My printer prefers them and the results are predictable. Rather than duplicating work, it would be wonderful if I could simply convert to the various ebook formats from either the doc file or the PDF but I have had very erratic results with the converters I have tried so far. Image handling in particular has been a real problem. I have no knowledge of html and, to be honest, have no real desire to get into that. However, conversion will have to be done 'in house' - and that means me!
I did find a really good online converter which produced a flawless html ebook from a PDF. I believe that auto-conversion from html to epub and mobipocket is quite accurate as long as the code is 'clean' (whatever that means).
The structure of the html ebook that was produced is similar to a website, i.e. seperated into pages including an index page and with navigation between pages. How one then converts this collection of files lord only knows. I've tried using Calibre to do this but, for some reason, each file is recognised as a zip file and each page within the ebook folder is treated seperately. I had a fond idea that it might be as simple as just clicking convert and hey presto - job done. You're no doubt sniggering at my niaivety!
You can see I've a lot to learn but that's why I'm here.

Aw the best,
Davie.