Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
trudyjh
trudyjh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+ 32GB
newbie - conversion to Nook question

I'm new to both Calibre and my Nook HD+.

So far I am using Calibre to read books and add tags to them. I download them from Amazon to my kindle for pc software, then drag the book into Calibre. I use the plugin to strip off DRM.

I have been using the Nook for a few days.

I have about 400 books on the pc, and I'd like to get them to the Nook. I realize I have to convert them, but it looks to me like this wipes out the original form. Is that correct?

If so, I'd like to take steps to preserve the original forms, so I can read them on either device.

Would just saving a copy of my laptop folder Calibre Library, doing the conversions and copies to the Nook, and then deleting the current Calibre Library laptop folder and renaming the saved one to Calibre Library work?

Thanks.
trudyjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Alternate (converted) formats will coexist unless you take steps to destroy them.

A book (line item) could have many formats: eg TXT, MOBI, EPUB AND ORIGINAL_epub (or ORIGINAL-mobi)

The latter will happen if you do a 'same format' conversion (usually to update metadata/covers or to target a different geometry device)
There is a tweak to control the non-generation of 'Original- '

What won't remain is what those tools remove.
Best Backup those originals to a safe place outside Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert