Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #31
Blade62
Blade62 began at the beginning.

Device: smart Q7
Hi Nation

Yes i did but it let me connect as before but then dis-connected and then went in a loop of connecting & re-connecting!! its driving me nutts. ideas?

Blade62
Blade62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade62 View Post
Hi Nation

Yes i did but it let me connect as before but then dis-connected and then went in a loop of connecting & re-connecting!! its driving me nutts. ideas?

Blade62
Can you paste up here the part of gnome-ppp.conf that you amended so we can check it?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #33
Blade62

Hi Nation

I will try and note down that what you requested and paste here as soon as.

thanks again for been patient

Blade62
Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #34
Blade62

Will i be able to run my smart Q7 in the uk?

Hi Guys i have had my smart q7 for nearly 3 mths and only ever got on the web 2 times! i have a T-mobile huawei E160 dongle with a sim card. everytime on manage to get on (only for about 20-30seconds) i lose £2.00 off my pay as you go sim.i haven't used it now for the last 3 wekks because of frustration of not getting on. I have upgraded the operating system to v5.0 becasue it has a 3G conector icon. but it didn't have my dongle displayed on the list.This was the list of dongles it would connect to : ZTE MU350 , ZTE AC560 ,ZTE MF637U,HUAWEI ET128,huawei ec1260,huawei ec169,huawei e180 ,huawei e1750 ,samsung sgh-h128 . My question is , where can i get one of these dongles that work in the uk and unlocked so there would accept my T-mobile sim card? I would be very grateful for anyhelp gettinmg on the web as thats what i really bought it for. the seller can't or won't help me and has stopped anserwing me. Thats what i call aftersales service? I really am very dissapointed and regret buying this in the 1st place...

Blade62:
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #35
Nation.A.List
Addict

Have you asked T-Mobile for the connection info that will allow you to set up your modem for use on a LINUX PC?

Such info as;
Username = ? (mine = three)
Password = ? (mine = three)

Any Init strings? (Mine On three are below )
Init2= ATZ
Init3 = ATE0 V1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 +IFC=2,2
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"

Phone No = ? (*99# for three)

I need the above info to help you set up your 3G settings on your Q7, we may be able to use some of what is quoted here http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html if T-Mobile wont help.
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
Blade62

Hi Nation

Thanks for the acknowledgement, i feel a bit let down by the seller, but i did have long converstaions with the T-mobile tech line but the offical response is that there don't support Linux!! There gave me some place's where to go on the web but as a 1st timer it looked like gook to me !! so if i sound a little slow its because i no nothing of Linux (Bill gates has a lot to answer for eh lol!!) The info your asking for, uasername - what is mine=three sorry to sound dumb? could you explain in a bit of laymans english please? This is for the Smart Q7 yes? again thanks for being patient with me.

Blade62
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #37
Blade62

HI Nation

Can you help please?

Blade62
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #38
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
HI Nation

Can you help please?

Blade62
I will help, but you will also have to contribute to this. If I just do it all, you will learn nothing.
Bear in mind that I had never used Linux prior to getting my Q7, so I bought a book off of Amazon and used google alot to learn how to do things. You will have to do something similar if you want to get the best out of your Q7.
I have modified the 'gnome-ppp.conf' file and will upload it to a file-sharing site. You will need to modify it (replace the ??? with text) so that it will work with T-Mobile and then copy it back to your Q7. So you will need to search the internet for advice on "T-Mobile 3G modem settings for Linux" and use this info for your modifications.
To help I would recommend you download this text editor that will work with both Linux & Windows text files http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html and you can find the 'gnome-ppp.conf' file here. http://www.filefactory.com/file/a1af...gnome-ppp_conf
Post here again when you have your modified file ready.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #39
Blade62

Hi Nation

Thanks for the help ans yes i know what you mean that i would'nt be learning anything if i learned for myself. But your not gonna belive it....if got connection!! don't ask me how ... i connected as usual, didn't do anything different and got connected. Just in case i thought i was dreaming i dis-connected and tryed again...and got it again!! what was that all about eh? So i'm not even gonna question it eh lol!!But as you have had the Q7 longer than me, can i ask... have you ever ablke to run U-Tube on it? i asked the seller and he said that i should copy & paste the url address into the "Sm Player" and it should play. But it says its going tothe site and then some downloading occurs and then when i go to play....nothing?Can i download adobe flash player onto the Q7?Also what is like for downloading mp3 files?i clicked on something lastnite and the cursor was zzz a long time?

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Blade62
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #40
Nation.A.List
Addict

Good to hear it now works, I guess it would have been better if you knew how, but what the heck.

I would still be interested in viewing your gnome-ppp.conf file if you could save a copy to your SD card and then copy it to your pc and post it up here.

Flash at the moment is not going to work on the Q7, however it is due to be available probably early next year. I tried but I could not get SMPlayer to play videos by using their URL so that does not appear to be a solution either. There may be a way of doing it, but it is beyond my ability at the moment.

Downloading MP3 tracks should work OK but the speed will depend on the quality of your connection (another reason for me to check your gnome-ppp file)

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 11-16-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #41
Blade62

Hi Nation

I will contact the seller and ask him if theres a way of getting the flash player to work (he said he couldn't use u-tube cos its banned in china!), if he has a way then i will let you know how yes? I''ll try and copy the file as you requested and post it up on here ok?What do you think of the Q7 as a tool? I do find it a bit slow when going to sites and the downloading is very SLOW!!any wway around this ? what about the wince v6.. is it worth me getting this?

Than kjs again for the advice and help

Blade62
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #42
Blade62

Hi Nation

Here is the reply i got from my supplier, is this what you thought it might be? : congratulations,finally you solved the problem, some url video works , some doesn't
if you want to see youtube , you can install android , they said in android , they can watch youtube video,but android for Q7 is not released.
we have to wait for some while

regards

leon

Is he right about this android thing?

Blade62
Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #43
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Is he right about this android thing?
Blade62
He is sort of right. The Covia Q5 Android seems to work OK with You Tube but as yet there is no version for the Q7.

Have you tried the ver 5.51 software from here? http://chronolytics.com/MID.html it is a faster version of Ubuntu. My web browsing speeds are fine e.g. bbc.co.uk = 13 secs, umpcportal.com = 16 secs. (page fully loaded , via WiFi)
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #44
Blade62

Hi Nation

So you have never played any you tube tyep videos?On the chronolytics, would you or have you used that software? and what are the plus's for using it? My source dis say that there were realsing an android up date some time next year and would advise me when that would happen, have you heard this? Thanks for the updates. I'll try and get those 3g settings to you ok?
Cheers

Blade62

Pssst. What have you 've been able to do with you Q7?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #45
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Hi Nation
So you have never played any you tube tyep videos?
No, never.
Quote:
On the chronolytics, would you or have you used that software? and what are the plus's for using it?
I've been running ver 5.51 for several weeks now, I use it because it's faster
Quote:
My source dis say that there were realsing an android up date some time next year and would advise me when that would happen, have you heard this?
There is already some limited versions of Android available for the Q7 http://www.jiongtang.com/fourm/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=927
Quote:
Thanks for the updates. I'll try and get those 3g settings to you ok?
Cheers
Blade62
Pssst. What have you 've been able to do with you Q7?
I've spent most of the time just trying to find the best set-up, the best apps etc. When I've done that I will mostly use it as as a mobile multimedia player/internet device e.g. whilst out and about and while on holiday.