Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
kidflash
kidflash began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please, Help! Incorrect Bullet Point, Ebook Conversion

Please, see the attached pictures. The first picture, Pic 1, is the incorrect Ebook conversion, and the second picture, Pic 2, is the native Word Doc (what I would desire to be the output). I used special bullet points, seen in the third picture, Pic 3, and the forth picture, Pic 4. I use the default settings on Calibre to convert from Word Doc to Ebook. I don't think this is a bug.

Any help on converting this correctly, would be greatly appreciated by me .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	166608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	166609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.PNG
Views:	163
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	166610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.PNG
Views:	151
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	166611  
kidflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

Sample input and output files and details of non-default conversion settings are really helpful.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
kidflash

@BetterRed Right, sorry. I can't figure out to edit the original post. Here is a sample input, sample out, and a log.

I used the default conversion settings. I am trying to get the output to look like the input.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Calibre Sample Input.docx (13.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: epub Calibre Sample Output.epub (34.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: txt Log.txt (4.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that's a weird docx file. How did you generate it? It contains empty list items instead of just a single list item starting the numbering with an offset. Word does not display those empty list items, so you get the effective appearance of a single list tiem starting numbering at the offset.

Generate your lists, normally and you should be fine. I could look into having the conversion engine detect this peculiar markup (empty list items) and special case them, but that will take a while.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@Kovid
I was just thinking about your answer and don't know what the best solution is as I was aware about this behavior and workaround it sometimes. It have a certain charm implementing parts of Word's WYSIWYG. On the other hand however, when you turn on the format indicator in Word (what is quite usual for me if I doing more than using Word as a type writer) this is at least for me an irritating behavior too. The list items are in the document and eliminating/hiding them by default in a conversion is maybe also a point for further discussions.

Only a idea, there should be a documented switch for this kind of manipulation/behavior if you like to implement this (both, for conversion or for direct opening with the editor).

@kidflash,
I took a quick look at your document. I recognize an other point in your document. You are aware of different format setups for same list elements? (see attached picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalListItems.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	166633  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
kidflash

@kovid To generate this, I double click on the number, then right click on the highlighted number, then click "Set Numbering Value...", then click "Continue from previous list", then "Advance value, skip numbers", then change the value.

@Divingduck, @kovid I believe, you both are correct in your description of what is happening. I used a unique format. I did not realize that it was not showing a series of numbers.

@kovid Good idea. I can generate my list normally.

@Divingduck I do not know what a documented switch is, but I will look further into that too. And, I was unaware of the different format setups in your picture.

Thank you so much for your comments and help. If anyone can tell me how to close this thread, I will do that (I am new).