Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Phrae
Phrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the roughPhrae is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Question What Tablet device do you use and why?

What kind of device do you use to do your reading? Do you care which device you do it on? What size do you like?

I have never done actual reading on Tablets. I wonder what you guys have to share.
Phrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I use both an older Kindle Keyboard (aka Kindle K3) and a Dell Venue 8 Pro (older 8" tablet currently running a full version of Windows 10).

I prefer the Kindle, but only when I'm reading in good light. It has no built in lighting. One of these years I may replace it with a newer model with front lighting. My K3 has been updated to read AZW3 format in addition to the older MOBI format.

I do frequently read on the Dell. It is better for PDFs as it can run a variety of PDF reading apps. Also, it can run a variety of ebook readers, providing support for various formats, and can run calibre (full version) with my full 2000+ ebook library. It's a bit heavy for extended hand-held reading, but works well when I can place it on a table.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I do 95% of my reading on a Kindle Oasis with 7" screen. I vastly prefer front lit e-ink over backlit tablets for long reading sessions. I've used a Paperwhite also, and for about a year used a Kobo Glo HD, both have front lit e-ink screens also.

For magazines I use one of my iPads. Once in a blue moon a book I want to borrow from my public library will not be available in Kindle format, then I read it on my iPad mini or iPhone 7+.

I read every night before bed in a dark bedroom, and frontlit e-ink is MUCH easier on my eyes. I can read 1-2 hours with no problem. I can only read on my phone or mini for 20 minutes tops in a dark room, even with the screen light turned way down. White text on a black background doesn't work for me...it's like little shards of harsh light.

Books used for study, like a study bible, I do use my iPads as navigation is generally much better, faster, etc. on a tablet.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've used an Ipad 2, Nook HD+, Fire HDX, Fire cheapo and Fire 10.1. With the exception of the Fire 10.1, everything else is out of production. I use these for reading pdfs as well as audiobooks and other internet stuff. I use ereaders for everything else.

My only complaint about Kindle Fires are the walled garden, limiting some of what I want to do with a tablet, especially since they've started to lock out apps of places like Ebay (competitor). Otherwise, I'd have to choose between an Ipad or a Samsung. Both are pricey in comparison, but appear to do everything that I want to do with a tablet.

My late sister loved her cheapo Fire and she read endlessly on it (handicapped, so not much else for her to do other than gaming). She far preferred it over an ereader but she didn't have a lot of issues with glare. The disadvantage is that she would run out of power.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-01-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I gave up on E Ink some years back and currently just use a mid priced Samsung tablet for reading - a Samsung Tab A 2016 which is still the current model. The Tab A 2018 is to be released at the end of this month and I will likely upgrade to that; for no good reason apart from I can usefully pass the older tablet on. The dearer AMOLED screen versions are very nice but I don't find them necessary for reading (LCD's contrast ratio being already orders of magnitude better than E Ink or paper), but great for video.

I use a 10.1 inch screen version (the new model will be 10.5 inch) because I read a mix of fiction and illustrated nonfiction. If I only read fiction I would perhaps use a smaller tablet but the larger format allows the convenience of two column reading in landscape, similar to a paper book, and less page turning.

In my reading app I use the app's color setup to tint the background to a natural paper color with black ink, and use the app's brightness control, as appropriate to the environment (I read in daylight, artificial light and in the dark), to give an appropriate level of illumination.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 08-01-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spellin'
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I have several generations of Fire tablets, I use the 8.9 for the rare times I'm reading a PDF. The 8 inch only gets used for playing videos.

For reading novels, I prefer using a phone. 5.2, 5.5 and 6 inch screens all work just fine for me. (Yeah, I have too many phones). I 'm nearsighted and take off my glasses to read. I was using the Kindle app, but I just found out how much better Google Play books is at managing screen brightness at low light levels, so I see some epub conversions in my future.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
airbus02
Enthusiast
airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.airbus02 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle pw3
reading on a tablet

I prefer e-ink to a tablet screen for reading books, but have read several books via tablet and even on a 13.3" chromebook.

I've found that screen resolution and brightness matter. The higher the resolution, the more satisfying the experience. My favorite tablets for reading books were the Samsung Tab S with the amoled screen and the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. Both were quite light, had very high resolution screens, and good brightness controls. The 8.9 screen of the Kindle was just about the right size both for holding and reading fwiw.
for various reasons, Kindle stopped doing the HDX 8.9 and has reverted to lower resolution screens.
airbus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
robilarocn
Enthusiast
robilarocn began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I gave up on E Ink some years back and currently just use a mid priced Samsung tablet for reading - a Samsung Tab A 2016 which is still the current model. The Tab A 2018 is to be released at the end of this month and I will likely upgrade to that; for no good reason apart from I can usefully pass the older tablet on. The dearer AMOLED screen versions are very nice but I don't find them necessary for reading (LCD's contrast ratio being already orders of magnitude better than E Ink or paper), but great for video.

I use a 10.1 inch screen version (the new model will be 10.5 inch) because I read a mix of fiction and illustrated nonfiction. If I only read fiction I would perhaps use a smaller tablet but the larger format allows the convenience of two column reading in landscape, similar to a paper book, and less page turning.

In my reading app I use the app's color setup to tint the background to a natural paper color with black ink, and use the app's brightness control, as appropriate to the environment (I read in daylight, artificial light and in the dark), to give an appropriate level of illumination.

The new Tab A is pretty slick. It has a metal body and carries an updated processor and 3GB of RAM. It's also available in a 32GB model.

I grabbed one for my kid recently. Definitely not as light or powerful as my Samsung Tab S2 but it's still plenty fast with a huge battery.

One odd thing though. The older Tab A (I have one of those too) was 4:3 format. the new Tab A is 16:9. Not sure why they switched. I guess its a preference thing.

also the new Tab A comes with Android 7 stock.
robilarocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
robilarocn
Enthusiast

I personally read on a Huawei Mediapad X2 32GB version.

Insanely powerful 7" tablet with a huge battery and a 1920x1200 screen.

I have a Samsung Tab S2 8" that I use strictly for web browsing and reading PDF's. I also have a Kobo Aura One 32GB that is for outdoor/beach use.

The Huawei is like a smaller footprint Nexus 7 on steroids
Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I use a 7.8" e-ink BOYUE Likebook Plus for reading novels. Typically epubs. Nice to read text on. Also outdoors in the sun. Or at night in the bed with back light. 16GB is plenty of room for epubs. 1404 x 1872, 300 PPI.

I use a 10,8" IPS Huawei MediaPad 5 for reading periodicals and nonfiction. Typically PDF:s. Nice for PDF:s. And video. 64GB+128GB SD-card is plenty of room for PDFs. 2560 x 1600, 280 PPI.

Two very different devices, for two very different tasks.

I use a laptop to browse the web and a phone to listen to music, podcasts and audiobooks.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by robilarocn View Post
The new Tab A is pretty slick. It has a metal body and carries an updated processor and 3GB of RAM. It's also available in a 32GB model.

I grabbed one for my kid recently. Definitely not as light or powerful as my Samsung Tab S2 but it's still plenty fast with a huge battery.

One odd thing though. The older Tab A (I have one of those too) was 4:3 format. the new Tab A is 16:9. Not sure why they switched. I guess its a preference thing.

also the new Tab A comes with Android 7 stock.
The new Tab A 2018 (a.k.a. Tab A2) that I referred to has not been released yet. It has been announced and is expected to be available late this month in the first countries to get it; it will come with Android 8. You are likely referring to the smaller 8inch Tab A 2017, a 2018 version of which is said to be coming but not yet announced. The Tab A 2016 that I use is, as I said, a 10.1 inch (16:10 ratio) display device.

The earlier versions are, I agree, good value. Both of the Tab As are claimed to be updated from Android 7 to Android 8 sometime later this year. The only reason I am planning to update mine is that I can usefully pass it on (and it will be updated to Android 8 for that).

In my country the Tab A 2016 and the Tab A 2017 are both being sold discounted now (I assume in anticipation of the new 2018 models' near arrival) and are good buys, especially as in both cases it seems that they will end up being upgradable to Android 8.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
iPad for tablet. Kindle Paperwhite 3 and Kobo Glo HD when I want or need e-ink.

I read lots of in-progress fanfics and for that, smartphones and tablets are more convenient. Much faster than e-readers for searching, browsing and navigating content directly from websites. If I get a chance to download/load fanfics to Calibre and transfer them to my e-reader though, I do prefer to read on the e-reader. Majority of my personal computing is done on tablets nowadays. I only touch my PC maybe once or twice a month for tasks that can't be accomplished or are much more difficult to do on the iPad so it's not often that I can load up the e-readers.

For novels purchased from Amazon or Kobo, e-ink all the way.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo its e-ink not a Tablet
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
I read on my IPod. I know it's not a tablet device, but it fits in a pocket and I can easily pull it out standing in line, before a movie, in a doc's office etc. I also seem to read faster on it.

The only issue with the iPod is the incompatibility with my PC. Apple took ibooks off of iTunes and did not have a PC ibooks app, so if upgrade ITunes I can only access books via cloud vs my PC. I know old fashion, but that's just me.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #15
robilarocn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The new Tab A 2018 (a.k.a. Tab A2) that I referred to has not been released yet. It has been announced and is expected to be available late this month in the first countries to get it; it will come with Android 8. You are likely referring to the smaller 8inch Tab A 2017, a 2018 version of which is said to be coming but not yet announced. The Tab A 2016 that I use is, as I said, a 10.1 inch (16:10 ratio) display device.

The earlier versions are, I agree, good value. Both of the Tab As are claimed to be updated from Android 7 to Android 8 sometime later this year. The only reason I am planning to update mine is that I can usefully pass it on (and it will be updated to Android 8 for that).

In my country the Tab A 2016 and the Tab A 2017 are both being sold discounted now (I assume in anticipation of the new 2018 models' near arrival) and are good buys, especially as in both cases it seems that they will end up being upgradable to Android 8.

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of another updated model.

What I was really hoping for from Samsung was a more powerful version of the tab A 7". I picked up the 16gb version of it and ended up returning it for a variety of reasons. 8" tablets for me are great for web browsing and pdfs but 7" are my favorite as readers.

Tags
tablet android reading