Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 03:09 AM   #91
Bulkind
Bulkind began at the beginning.

Device: ML67 Onix, Inkpad3
As a small contribution:

I have tried lots of software on the device and now can make a short list of musthave apps wich work well and looked adopted for Eink, it is as follows:

1. Relaunch (good old version made for Onix, not the newest X version for some reason). It comes really usefull - as both a launcher and librarian. Actually you won't need the original Bouye starting page anymore!

2. Alreader+Colordict (for all formats apart from PDF) for reading with your fav dictionary or even without.

3. PocketBook and qPDF readers for PDF stuff - both look well with B&W eink but have more features than original reader. Not much tested yet though

3. Goldendict as a standalone (lots of free dictionaries available)

4. Smart audiobook player - fot obvious goal

5. Hi-Q - a voice recorder. I have failed with my intention to use the stylus for short editing on margins while reading, I just couldn't stand the stylus tip feeling for handwriting, so voice serves me better

6. jbak2 keyboard - it was difficult to adjust due to the dark settings screen (I used my mobile to copy the right settings) but after all it looks and works well

7. InkBookWebBrowser - also, haven't payed enough attention in details yet but it works so far.

Will try more hoping for the boyue people to update the weak soft soon as well

Last edited by Bulkind; 08-31-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Bulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #92
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
Other apps on the Note?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkind View Post
As a small contribution:

I have tried lots of software on the device and now can make a short list of musthave apps wich work well and looked adopted for Eink,
Thank you! Would you (or someone else with the Note) be willing to try a few more applications to see how they work?

The ones I'm particularly interested in are:
  • Simplemind, the best of the Android mind mapping tools I've found
  • Kiwix, because the removeable SD card on the Note seems great for something like offline Wikipedia!

I had both working on an Energy Sistem Pro+, but I'm interested in the potential of the bigger screen with the Note. I hope you are enjoying yours with your new setup!

Last edited by StuartJ; 08-31-2018 at 01:06 PM.
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #93
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
Testing applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
Thank you! Would you (or someone else with the Note) be willing to try a few more applications to see how they work?

The ones I'm particularly interested in are:
  • Simplemind, the best of the Android mind mapping tools I've found
  • Kiwix, because the removeable SD card on the Note seems great for something like offline Wikipedia!

I had both working on an Energy Sistem Pro+, but I'm interested in the potential of the bigger screen with the Note. I hope you are enjoying yours with your new setup!
I just do a litte repost here, but I would be very happy if someone of you could test these apps, too. I installed these apps on the Boyue LikeBook Plus and they work very good. Before I buy this larger device I need more info about the performance.

Xodo is a very nice pdf reader with very good margin cropping: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odo.pdf.reader

and Kobo https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obooks.android
and what about the kindle app for free time reading?
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #94
Bulkind
Bulkind began at the beginning.

Device: ML67 Onix, Inkpad3
Unfortunately, I can't help anymore. For the reason I mentioned above (unnatural handwriting feeling) Ive sold the device to a musician, who was going to use it as a sheet music album, I hope he will manage better then me with my scribbles.
Anyway, I have to say that the ebook is not too fast and smooth with third-party apps, so it's better to try before buying indeed ;-)
Bulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #95
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post

As a side note, the Likebook vendor/manufacturer wrote in the communications i still maintain via aliexpress that "our next generation is octa core, with very fast speed. android 6.0,will available on NOV this year". Personally i'm not really much impressed by this promise and, based on the experience of the time spent waiting for the Likebook Note to actually come into existence, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this updated device. But maybe this is some good news for people in this thread who still think their reading practice requires a fast CPU in combination with a frontlight and SD card...
Well, if you don't need a quick dictionary response, lucky you. I do need it cause it get me a lot nervous when I read languages others than mine
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #96
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocat View Post
Long time lurker...first time poster...Hi, everyone!

My T103 showed up on Wednesday (US). But I didn't report out my experience since I wanted to have reference point here too. Now that user orebmur voiced his/her opinions, here are what I can add.

1. I have a T80s, and this T103 feels even a bit faster than T80s in terms of page turning/click response time. It's conter-intuitive, but I guess maybe T103's software is more optimized. Not sure about the single-core vs. quad-core comparison though.

2. PDF annotation function and note taking app both work fine, without much lagging most of time. But when annotating complex/large PDF, there might be occasional lagging, but on deal breaker. Also, the note taking app seems to be operating under the so-called "A2" mode. It's fast, but the edge of the writing is a bit jagged . Again, no deal breaker, but may not be as good as for example Boox Note (I don't have this model, just guessing for online videos).

3. Front light is there. I bought T103 specifically for this, because bedtime is my reading time. As user orebmur mentioned, it's working fine. But, it's not as even as T80S, especially when you bring light setting above 50%: right side is brighter than the left side. The vendor cautioned me about this before selling it to me, as a disclosure. The explanation was that due to T103's larger size, frontlight can't be made as even as T80s. I went adead with the purchase anyways, since I crave for the night light. To put the uneveness into perspective, comparing T103 vs. T80's front lighting quality is slmost like comparing a first-gen Nook Glowlight against a current gen Kindle Paperwhite, both of which I have. Here is my personal decision: Even though it's not perfect, it's still working and useful as an added feature, so I will live with it, since I need it. BTW. the youtube demo video seems to have even lighting, but the user never went beyond 50% setting, and we all know phone cameras tend to brighten things up, and wash out some details human eyes may detect.

4. I can also confirm user orebmur that google play app is there, installing Relaunch launcher reveals it.

5. I indeed tried scientific journal 2-column articles on it. With some cropping, you can surely read it, but the font is still about 80% of a real paper printout. So, if you have money, 13.3 inch ereader would be a better fit for this purpose.

Let me know any other questions you may have. So far, I've decided to keep it.
I have one question regarding the PDF annotation:

Are annotations/scribbles saved in the original PDF document or you need to export them in a new PDF file like Onyx?
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #97
Maginus
Maginus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 (1st edition)
Hello. I'm curious to hear what people think of the portability/handling of the device. Considering the device could be significantly smaller with smaller bezels, do you find it to be unwieldy? I'm thinking specifically of the large bottom bezels. Is the use of the touchscreen made more difficult ergonomically speaking in any way by this? Full disclosure: I'm thinking of buying the Likebook Mimas not the Note but they seem to have an identical design (With the exception of colour).
Maginus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #98
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
@Maginus: Using this device since a few months and much prefer it over the smaller sized ereaders used up to then. Very glad that the canvas size is already large enough to read scientific articles while the device is still easily to handle. It shouldn't be any larger, but a higher DPI value of 300 would be much nicer.

It's recommended to try it out yourself instead of trusting random judgments of complete strangers.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #99
Maginus
Maginus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 (1st edition)
Quote:
@Maginus: Using this device since a few months and much prefer it over the smaller sized ereaders used up to then. Very glad that the canvas size is already large enough to read scientific articles while the device is still easily to handle. It shouldn't be any larger, but a higher DPI value of 300 would be much nicer.

It's recommended to try it out yourself instead of trusting random judgments of complete strangers.
Of course it's recommended to try it out, but I can hardly access one at a physical store. Yeah, I'm going to use it for both uni and leisure and I have a harder time reading with LCD's than average so I kind of need one. Especially these pesky two collum PDF's are terrible on my current 6.8 inch Kobo Aura H2O. According to my calculations the 10.3 inch display should be about 2.3 times larger than that, so I think it will do nicely: Relatively large screen area without getting too unwieldy. Thanks for the answer.
Maginus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #100
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
What happened to Likebook Note?
"No longer available".
Anybody knows where to get it?

Also, there was supposed to be a similar reader released - inkBOOK Infinity - but no sign of it either.
Oh, Infinity may not have the hardware buttons!

Is it gone because of Mimas?
Mimas, unfortunately, is white. That makes the screen appear very unpleasantly dark.
I would buy Mimas if there is a way to repaint it dark.

Last edited by parkher; 03-05-2019 at 11:11 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #101
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
What happened to Likebook Note?
"No longer available".
Anybody knows where to get it?

Also, there was supposed to be a similar reader released - inkBOOK Infinity - but no sign of it either.
Oh, Infinity may not have the hardware buttons!

Is it gone because of Mimas?
Mimas, unfortunately, is white. That makes the screen appear very unpleasantly dark.
I would buy Mimas if there is a way to repaint it dark.
I am afraid, Note just was a "try" from Boyue, real device is Mimas.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #102
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firmware upgrade for the Likebook Note

After the umpteenth request on Aliexpress for a firmware upgrade for the Likebook Note, following download links were provided:

* Document "T103-LB root instruction-(support google) .docx" via:

https://mega.nz/#!h0A0wQbR!vUnWhbjFO...TDljywOA8XOEO0

* Above mentioned document contains a link pointing to a newer firmware archive at:

https://mega.nz/#!7J4B2Sra!bUq-wgUxJ...luO5mAGqrbQtmk

* Requesting a download of the original firmware version Likebook-T103-V1.0.0-2018062819 following link was provided:

https://mega.nz/#!g15BWITQ!-YLzbGQRA...AFba3wbD9vKqeo

The contact person providing all these links warned that the updated firmware is not yet stable. Therefore I haven't yet dared to perform any upgrade since i can't afford to brick the device.

Maybe someone here with deeper Android knowledge could make some creative use of these firmware archives?

Last edited by orebmur; 01-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #103
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
i installed my own range of stardict dictionaries according to Boyue's directions. They are properly recognized by the standalone dictionary app but not when used via the PDF reader.
Do you still have that problem? Because the solution is to create a new folder called "Dict" (without the quotes) on the internal root directory; and I'm not sure but you even can create that folder in the external (Sd) root directory. Then you need to put the new dictionary files (in stardict format) in the dict folder.
Maybe you have the issue I had: when you press on a word with the stylus it only highlight a letter so the dictionary doesn't bring a definition. In that case you have to expand the highlighted zone in a precise manner to include all the word letters, and by that I mean without including blank spaces; to accomplish that you need to let the pop-up window open and move the margins (big black dots) accordingly. The thing is that moving the margins is tedious because you need to jump to the next line to see a change.
After the word is correctly highlighted just press the "translation" button and then the "dictionary" button and voilà! you will see the definition in the (still open) pop-up window. (I know this is very convoluted and weird but the point is: we are able to look up the definition of a word with the native dictionary app using the native pdf reader application).

Quote:
The reader software i liked most besides the native one is librera. While it is slightly slower it is still very usable and overall a very nicely done and versatile application. It's great how it is able to use various external dictionary apps like goldendict. Only downside is that goldendict displays nothing more but a blank page when looking up words from within librera...
I had the same problem. One solution is to install another app (like colordict, Aard, bluedict, etc). I have colordict installed but don't like how it renders on eink, I mean the black background color of the menus. Plus the font size has only 3 options: small, normal and large.
The other solution is installing a Goldendict that is not for android 4.0 or newer. I have installed the last version of goldendict (1.6.8) from this link:
http://goldendict.mobi/downloads/android/free/

So to not get the blank window, you should install
- GoldenDict-1.6.8-Android-3.0+-free.apk
- or GoldenDict-1.6.8-free.apk
but not the others. This apply to goldendict older versions too. The trade-off is that you will lose the "preferences" option, so you should not be able to change font size and many other things...which sucks. More information here:
http://goldendict.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7190

Other source says disabling googls chrome does the trick but I was not able to find it in the apps and the default browser cannot be disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
Are annotations/scribbles saved in the original PDF document or you need to export them in a new PDF file like Onyx?
From what I saw, using the native app, the annotations can be exported in html but not in pdf format. And you have 4 options: export to local, to evernote, to YouDao Cloud note or share it via QR code.
I think the annotations are not saved in the original pdf, but if you install Xodo (or whatever app with the stamp/flatten option) the annotations can be saved in a copy of the original file.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:38 PM   #104
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it me or the native reader does not have the option "Go to page" like most readers do? I mean the option to type the number of the page you want to jump into.
Maybe it is hidden but so far I have not been able to find said option. That's a big blunder from Boyue's part. I know there is the bookmark option but it isn't the same (unless you bookmark every page). The default way to navigate the book is through a slide bar at the bottom, but using it is a little cumbersome.
Could someone please confirm this?
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #105
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldazo View Post
Do you still have that problem?
No, i didn't bother looking any further into this and solve problems of deficient software.

Since i switched to koreader as my main reading application i don't have any problems anymore on this reading device.

Indeed, koreader does rock!