Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Installment books are commonly referred to as serials or episodes in today's ebook world. Or if you get too many going, the author can become known as a money grabber.
Or chapter books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I refuse to call a book that shares fictional characters (or a fictional world) with another book a "stand alone."
Well said. Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I recently finished Naked in Death. I am glad I didn't read it first. The later ones were better.
The thing is, with the In Death series, things that happened back at the beginning are referred to later on in the series. So that is a good example of a series that should be read in order.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #64
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Different strokes because I don't mind reading out of order, unless it is an actual trilogy.
Of course, with some series there is quite a bit of discussion about what is the best order to read since they were published out of chronological order. MZB's Darkover series jumped all over the place chronologically. The Hornblower series was published out of chronological order as well. Many series that aren't a continuous story arc get published out of chronological order
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #65
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or chapter books.
Jon, it is my understanding that chapter books are what children read after beginner books. They are called chapter books because they have chapters.

Of course, we could both be right.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #66
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The thing is, with the In Death series, things that happened back at the beginning are referred to later on in the series. So that is a good example of a series that should be read in order.
Actually not in my case, because I really didn't care for NID.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #67
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But there could be other characters that are or are not there and if you read #22, you spoil that big time. And there could be things that happen to Harry that you spoil as well. It's not as standalone as you think. In fact, it's not standalone at all.
And some of us don't care or might even :gasp: enjoy spoilers! IMO there is no one true way to read for pure enjoyment, there is simply knowing yourself well enough to know what and how you best enjoy reading (and realizing that other people will be different)

My enjoyment for reading books without having the expected level of knowledge may be perverse by some standards but I've greatly enjoyed reading and re-reading different series in order, out-of-order and backwards depending on my mood and availabity and I'm not going to change my reading habits based on someone's preferences. When it comes to matters of enjoyment there is no one true way!

I do agree that while series books can have independent plots (and be stand-alone in that sense) calling them standalones without qualification would only be accurate if each book was a reset with no long term series development.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #68
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
And some of us don't care or might even :gasp: enjoy spoilers! IMO there is no one true way to read for pure enjoyment, there is simply knowing yourself well enough to know what and how you best enjoy reading (and realizing that other people will be different)

My enjoyment for reading books without having the expected level of knowledge may be perverse by some standards but I've greatly enjoyed reading and re-reading different series in order, out-of-order and backwards depending on my mood and availabity and I'm not going to change my reading habits based on someone's preferences. When it comes to matters of enjoyment there is no one true way!

I do agree that while series books can have independent plots (and be stand-alone in that sense) calling them standalones without qualification would only be accurate if each book was a reset with no long term series development.
The only books I have found that it might be better to read in order are Cheaper by the dozen and Belles on their Toes. Though you can read/watch one without the other.
Note: The Clifton Webb version not the Steve Martin version.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, it is my understanding that chapter books are what children read after beginner books. They are called chapter books because they have chapters.

Of course, we could both be right.
A chapter book is a book released in parts with those parts being each chapter.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #70
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I have other titles for those.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have other titles for those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
An interesting factoid: most of the great Victorian novels (e.g. Dickens) were originally published in a magazine form where you would get little installments each time a periodical was published until the novel was complete. There are stories of people waiting on the docks of New York harbor to get their hands on the next installment of whichever Victorian novel was being published then. Because there was no immediate communication between England and America British readers would find out whether a beloved character lived or died weeks before the American readers.
For some reason, I was under the impression that Dicken's Pickwick Papers was the original serialized in a cheap form novel.

I read quite a few science fiction novels that were originally serialized in Astounding/Analog, Worlds of If, etc. Now most of the serialized stories I read are in the Grantville Gazette. As long as the break is at a reasonable point, it's not bad.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
In the US at least, you are incorrect. Chapter books are books for young readers.

The books you are referring to (like The Green Mile or the way Dickens was originally published) are referred to as serial novels.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #73
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For some reason, I was under the impression that Dicken's Pickwick Papers was the original serialized in a cheap form novel.

I read quite a few science fiction novels that were originally serialized in Astounding/Analog, Worlds of If, etc. Now most of the serialized stories I read are in the Grantville Gazette. As long as the break is at a reasonable point, it's not bad.
I was not referring to magazine books.

I was referring to the tie the girl to the railroad track so the reader has to pay $2.99 to find out if Dudley Do Right saved the day only to discover that Polly Purebred is now trapped in the pound. Spend $2.99 to see if Underdog shows up, then at the end of that book, Bull Winkle is lost while Rocky fools around with Lola of Kinks fame.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I was not referring to magazine books.

I was referring to the tie the girl to the railroad track so the reader has to pay $2.99 to find out if Dudley Do Right saved the day only to discover that Polly Purebred is now trapped in the pound. Spend $2.99 to see if Underdog shows up, then at the end of that book, Bull Winkle is lost while Rocky fools around with Lola of Kinks fame.
You don't love cliffhangers? <horrified look!!!>

Sadly I'm old enough to remember the fuss when Lola was first released. Not to mention the fuss a bit earlier when Spanky & Our Gang released Give A Damn -- that word is going to lead the youth of the nation straight into Satan's hands.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #75
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post

I agree there is no right or wrong way to read a series - in order or out of order, whatever you like.

In the case of mystery series such as the Harry Bosch series mentioned upthread, I could see that one person might want to read the series in order, seeing the character age and evolve over time However, another person might just enjoy reading about a policeman solving a mystery and as long as the mystery in each book stands alone, such a reader might not care about the character's personal life.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote