Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Sanderfox
Sanderfox began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
Jinke released update 2.20EN.091124

Hi,
I was just browsing the Jinke website when I saw they released a new update a few days ago. I didn't see any notice about this here yet, so I thought I'd let you guys know

See here.

Cya!
Sanderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Would anyone care to upload this file to a filesharing website? (not rapidshare please; my university blocks it)

Thanks in advance!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Siorghlas
Siorghlas began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Download mirror

I cannot download the firmware from Jinke, and this is a recurrent problem for me. Luckily I have found a mirror here: http://cli.gs/TM73Y

The interesting new feature: ADE (PDF) with 9 zoom levels. Not as good as it could be, but better nevertheless. I'd like a Reflow on/off switch.

I've read some info on a Spanish forum that rtf display is (at least partially) broken.
Siorghlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Thanks!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Siorghlas

I have been very surprised to find that the XPDF PARSER IS BACK! But not as a substitute for ADE. When you open a PDF (not ePUB) there's a new menu option 8 that allows to reopen it with xPDF. Thus you can read the file with the old 3 non-reflowing zoom levels, and that is better for scanned-image (non-text) PDFs. Won't do much good with complex images and is not the definitive answer that I'd like but is a welcomed surprise. Remember, this reader supports content tables and indexes but not markers (if I'm not mistaken).

Last edited by Siorghlas; 11-27-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: misspellings
Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siorghlas View Post
I have been very surprised to find that the XPDF PARSER IS BACK! But not as a substitute for ADE. When you open a PDF (not ePUB) there's a new menu option 8 that allows to reopen it with xPDF. Thus you can read the file with the old 3 non-reflowing zoom levels, and that is better for scanned-image (non-text) PDFs. Won't do much good with complex images and is not the definitive answer that I'd like but is a welcomed surprise. Remember, this reader supports content tables and indexes but not markers (if I'm not mistaken).
Actually XPDF was back in the latest Pocekt Pro from Astak as well. As you say, it is better than ADE for PDF books that are created from images.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderfox View Post
Hi,
I was just browsing the Jinke website when I saw they released a new update a few days ago. I didn't see any notice about this here yet, so I thought I'd let you guys know

See here.

Cya!
this is for V3.

dale
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I like the 9 levels of zoom for PDF and Epub!

The old firmware had 5 levels and I found that not large enought for my old eyes...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Siorghlas

There's something bad in this last firmware: the associated parser for RTF and TXT, instead of being FB2, is the TXT one (much more rustic: ugly “system” font, just 3 Zoom levels, etc.). So for heavy TXT/RTF readers this is a backward step (contrary to PDF/ePUB).
Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There's something bad in this last firmware: the associated parser for RTF and TXT, instead of being FB2, is the TXT one (much more rustic: ugly “system” font, just 3 Zoom levels, etc.). So for heavy TXT/RTF readers this is a backward step (contrary to PDF/ePUB).
I do not believe Jinke ever used FB2 for RTF and TXT in their official Hanlin releases.

Dale
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Siorghlas

Mmmm. I'm not sure about the Jinke one now, but the ones by lbook and Grammata (Papyre) do use FB2.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Mmmm. I'm not sure about the Jinke one now, but the ones by lbook and Grammata (Papyre) do use FB2.
You are correct that LBook offers FB2 as a choice for reading but Jinke does not. It is important to be correct in who offers what or readers can become very confused.

Dale
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Russian Forum offers newer version for
1. LBOOK DJVU White CoolReader
2. ASTAK DJVU White CoolReader
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Can anyone confirm that this new update removes the Hanlin's ability to display DRM'd PDFs? I tried opening one (after purchasing it legitimately) but it won't open. I was under the impression that the previous firware added this functionality. Perhaps this latest has removed it, as DRM'd EPUBs work just fine.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
You have to use the Adobe viewer for protected PDFs. Perhaps you're trying to open it in XPDF?

You can easily test this by looking at the menu options after opening your unprotected PDF HanLin user manual. If you see "read by ADOBE" or similar in the menu, select this option, then try to open the new PDF again.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote