Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #30256
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. First of the Book of the Ancestor trilogy. The setting was interesting and neatly revealed, and the story was intriguing. I particularly liked the hints of sci-fi. But the narrative was overly long, sometimes felt repetitive, and rather lacking in direction. The prologue suggested the destination, but this book never gets close to that. While the ending does wrap up one minor aspect of the story, most of it is left hanging. This book seemed to have had so much going for it that I feel quite disappointed. Stretching to 3/5 for the good bits and because I'm interested enough to try the next instalment (mostly because it is already on my reader).

Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence. Second of the Book of the Ancestor trilogy. This is a Did Not Finish. It's still trying to milk the clever prologue from the first book but I'm no longer buying it. It jumps forward a few years in the schooling but apparently none of the characters grew up in that time. And now there's a demon that has apparently been around since the end of the first book but wasn't worth mentioning, and it feels really out of place. Bite me!

Edited to Add: Another thought I had about this trilogy that I wasn't going to mention, but the more I think about it the stronger seem the parallels with Harry Potter. It's mostly a school setting (albeit run by an order of particularly violent nuns rather than mostly sweet and gentle old fogies), with four blood/race types (vs houses). An Abbess (school principle) that sort of takes the main character under her wing but also seems at times quite cruel. The one really harsh teacher/nun that doesn't seem to like our main protagonist. A main protagonist whose special skill reveals itself and convenient times to save their life but otherwise just causes trouble. I could go on. The difference being that I enjoyed Harry Potter.

Last edited by gmw; 09-09-2021 at 12:37 AM.
gmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #30257
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: TBD
The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths. A very recent purchase.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #30258
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Just finished a re-read of one of James Rollins first novels - Subterranean - on a long airline flight. It was fun, and I remembered several fragments from when I first read it over 20 years ago. It's an entertaining fantasy/action/adventure romp. I think this will trigger me to re-read some of Rollins' other early novels as well - Amazonia, Ice Hunt, Excavation...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #30259
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I enjoyed it, a solid 5/5, but definitely the second part of trilogy. It doesn't end in a cliff-hanger, but I'd certainly recommend reading the first part first.

There are, of course, some 'spoilers' for earlier events in the larger series.
Thanks! I'll go look up the series order and go from there.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #30260
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Reading Revival by Stephen King. I didn't think it was one of his Horror books, but 3/4 through I've started to wonder!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #30261
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths. A very recent purchase.
And a very good murder mystery it is too. And a good start for a new series as well.

Next up: Bought today, Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #30262
poohbear_nc
Not Your Dinner!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Beginning a re-read of Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers - the version completed by Wharton scholar Marion Mainwaring, based on Wharton's synopsis of the novel.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #30263
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 4, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
Just started rereading Detective by Haley.
LDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:19 AM   #30264
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett. (Or Onyx and Ivory depending on where you look.) A YA fantasy/romance. The early chapters of this, heavily over-explained and angst ridden, had me checking, but no this is neither a first novel nor self-published. I pushed on and eventually the narrative smoothed out - albeit still obviously YA. The setting and story were interesting enough to get me through to the mostly unsurprising end. It closes off better than I was expecting but with a lot waiting for the sequel*. I give it a 3/5.

* Or so I thought.
Spoiler:
After reading some of the reviews it appears the sequel glosses over much of the unfinished material anyway and starts its own, darker, story. So there seems little reason to rush. I doubt if I'll bother.
gmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:35 AM   #30265
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Bought today, Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline.
And it was OK. Not a bad follow-up, and I enjoyed the ride.

Next up: Sylvester by Georgette Heyer. Her 45th novel. I bought this along with many other Heyer novels from BooksonBoard back in August 2012!
Old 09-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #30266
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Zod Wallop by Willam Browning Spencer. One of the better books I've read this year.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #30267
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Started reading You Never Forget Your First by Alexis Coe, which is, of course, a biography of George Washington. So far, so good.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #30268
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, Bloom by Kenneth Oppel. A recent purchase.
Hmmm ... I thought his earlier book Airborn was better. Maybe because it didn't have winey teenagers in it. Or, perhaps, I prefer blimps to man-eating plants. Either way fun-ish quick read if a little gruesome. First of a trilogy. Rated D+ [2 stars]

Next, a recent purchase (on sale, of course), Star Wars: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #30269
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Sylvester by Georgette Heyer. Her 45th novel. I bought this along with many other Heyer novels from BooksonBoard back in August 2012!
And most enjoyable it was too. The destination is known, but the journey's the fun bit.

Then I read Sepentine by Philip Pullman. A small insight into Lyra between the two trilogies.

Next up: Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers. Her sixth Lord Peter Wimsey novel. Bought back in December 2013.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #30270
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers. Her sixth Lord Peter Wimsey novel. Bought back in December 2013.
I remembered the main plot, but seeing how it unfolded was fun. I wasn't convinced by Lord Peter's sudden and strong attraction, but 4/5 for me.

Next up: a random pick, Exile's Return by Raymond E. Feist. The third in his Conclave of Shadows trilogy.