Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Dune has epigrams (extracts from a fictional history book) and no page breaks or chapter headings.

I don't think ebooks should slavishly follow paper books, so if the scene break is really an anonymous chapter start I'd be happy with a page break. Similarly with Dune. I have a lot of Dune on paper and recently got the 1st 3 cheap as ebook, so I will put page breaks and TOC to the start of each "history" quote...
Ahhhh.....but the question is "What do you consider the '1st three' - timeline, or published, order??? "

Dune/Messiah/Children

-or-

Hunting Harkonnens/Butlerian Jihad/Whipping Mek
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #17
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Ahhhh.....but the question is "What do you consider the '1st three' - timeline, or published, order??? "

Dune/Messiah/Children

-or-

I will be attempting Dune in the next couple of months. As I like to read in storyline order, I've done a bit of hunting around for correct order and most seem to agree with this order...
https://dunenovels.com/chronological...of-dune-books/

I always consider story timeline the correct order, not published order which is why my "Series Order" in Calibre is usually different to the publishers series order.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Normally I would agree whole-heartedly.

Dune, IMO, is a little different. Frank's style is a bit different than Brian's. If you can get through understand wrap your brain around the original 6 then it gives all the prequels a lot more flavor and appreciation for what is going on.

...of course, it took me several read-throughs of the original 6 to start wrapping my brain around it....I think I'm at around 80% now....unless there are more things I missed...

dang it - now I have to read them again to find out what I missed! gah!!
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #19
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Dune, IMO, is a little different. Frank's style is a bit different than Brian's. If you can get through understand wrap your brain around the original 6 then it gives all the prequels a lot more flavor and appreciation for what is going on.

...of course, it took me several read-throughs of the original 6 to start wrapping my brain around it....I think I'm at around 80% now....unless there are more things I missed...!
I have to admit I am not a fan of Dune. I have attempted Dune a couple of times in the past (about 20 years ago) and I thought I might try again as I might appreciate them a bit more with age....

I have eleven of the novels sitting on my bookshelf, eight of which I have never read. (I didn't have the heart to tell family members to not buy the books as gifts as I do not enjoy them. Oh well.)
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Dune/Messiah/Children

-or-

I usually go by published order unless the living author suggests different. Except on movies I'd ignore comments from Marvel, Lucas, Disney etc.

Quote:
Never heard of them. Not usually a fan of series added to by a.n. other. But even Frank Herbert and Asimov, IMO, went off. Are the Dune books worth the effort after 1st four? Pern lasted much longer in terms of numbers of books, but seemed later ones were to satisfy some fans.
I may re-read the old Asimov but not the ones from approx 1979 onwards.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I will be attempting Dune in the next couple of months. As I like to read in storyline order, I've done a bit of hunting around for correct order and most seem to agree with this order...
https://dunenovels.com/chronological...of-dune-books/

I always consider story timeline the correct order, not published order which is why my "Series Order" in Calibre is usually different to the publishers series order.
I think that's a mistake for Dune, Recluse series, Pern and Narnia. I did read a couple of Brian's books and don't want more. Dune is the start and also the best of all the series.

Or for watching Star Wars.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #22
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
... Are the Dune books worth the effort after 1st four? ...
Yes.

If you like that genre then it is very worthwhile. The story is definitely NOT brain candy and requires thought when reading. I have known some people that couldn't, or didn't want to expend the effort to, wrap their brain around the complex details...and that's understandable; there must be lazy people in the world to make the rest of us look good!

In God Emperor a lot was talked about how Leto II was saving humanity from some thing...but didn't get into too much detail about what that thing was. Heretics and Chapterhouse start talking about when that thing starts to come back...then Frank died before he could finish the story. Frank's son, Brian, had Frank's notes and wanted to finish the story. Brian collaborated with Kevin Anderson and the decision was made that there needed to be a lot more of the back story explained before finishing the original story...ergo the prequels. The prequels were pretty successful. Then they (mostly) finished the story (or did they?) and they decided to follow up with more depth on the world's details...like: how were the Bene Gesserit/Mentats/Navigators created??

So far I have 29 Dune novels or short stories in my e-Library, but I haven't finished the last 4 yet: Sands of Dune, Duke of Caladan, Lady of Caladan, and Heir of Caladan(forthcoming). That would be a total of 33....so definitely enough material to keep one interested.

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-04-2022 at 11:28 AM.