Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #16
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingbunny View Post
Well, apart from reading in the dark with brightness set to 1%, for which it's great.

But I really don't see why you'd ever want to turn up the brightness to anything higher than max 10-15%.

Personally I read without the frontlight during the day/in well-lit rooms.

If you want read from a glowing screen you might as well use a smartphone or tablet. (I understand the technology is different, but still.)

Genuinely curious to hear from some people reading with the frontlight on at all times!
Same here. I’ve never gone over 12%, and mostly stick in the 2-8% range at night, depending in ambient light. In daylight I can’t see the difference whether the light is on or not, so I turn it off.

At 100% the device could be useful if you’re reading during a power outage at night, I guess

I would personally prefer a more granular level of control at the lower end of the brightness range, and a less powerful light overall. I don’t see the point of having such a powerful light either. It’s so you can read in the dark, as you say.

I have seen a few reviews of readers where they compare the brightness of two devices on the max setting, and found this to be bizarre. It’d make more sense to me to compare the lowest settings in the dark.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The best three aspects of the front-light:
1. You can turn it off (or as near off as makes no difference on PW3).
2. You can turn it on.
3. Unlike Font size (on Kobo or Kiindle or Sony), the adjustable levels on Kindle and Kobo seem fine, though you only really need the lowest 20% (1/5th) unless you are using it as a torch to find something that rolled under the bed.

Flexibility is good. That's what I hate about win10 vs Win3.1, Win95, NT4.0, WinXP. The Win7/Vista started the MS rot.

It makes most sense to compare front lights at a standard level, probably whatever number of Lux is half perceptual brightness of a room lit only by a 4W LED lamp in a shade on a table lamp at the other side of the room, i.e. too dark to actually read paper but not too dark to move around. Comparison a minimum in the dark makes little sense other than say a reasonable reading brightness (some fixed level of Lux) in the dark.
I only read in the dark during a power cut.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
At 100% the device could be useful if you’re reading during a power outage at night, I guess
That's actually backwards...in a totally dark room, the front light needs to be dimmer, not brighter. When I read at night, once the lights are turned off in the bedroom, I turn the front light down to about 12% on my Oasis. If I read more than 15 minutes, as my eyes adjust, I can turn it down even more.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
It could really be useful, since it always stands next to my bed, it works as a light source really well too =) %100 at Kobo Glo HD is quite bright.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
That's actually backwards...in a totally dark room, the front light needs to be dimmer, not brighter. When I read at night, once the lights are turned off in the bedroom, I turn the front light down to about 12% on my Oasis. If I read more than 15 minutes, as my eyes adjust, I can turn it down even more.
I meant it could be useful as a torch. I was making a joke about it being too bright to be useful under any other circumstances.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
my old eyes need light to see to read. 18 too low 20 is too bright 19 is just right
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #22
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I read without the frontlight during the day/in well-lit rooms.
The front light is obviously less useful in a brightly lit location, but I find it works perfectly when the lighting is marginal.

Quote:
If you want read from a glowing screen you might as well use a smartphone or tablet.
I personally find the front light on my Kobo Aura to feel less "penetrating" to my eyes than a smartphone.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
my old eyes need light to see to read. 18 too low 20 is too bright 19 is just right
With my H2O, I would find any of those values to be way too bright. I've been reading with 4. If I have enough light, I turn the front light off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #24
Kat78
Kat78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I feel like a bit of a freak now I've just checked my Glo and realised its at 84%. I don't have the greatest eyesight but even so, it looks like I'm the only person to have made it past half way!!
Kat78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #25
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Well the way I understand it, is the light mostly shines on the text, and not so much through the text at your eyes, so heaps kinder to them.

You can also adjust the brightness (as in turn it up) to counteract any reflection that may be occurring, especially out of doors, which varies with location and cloud coverage. Even indoors, with some types of overhead lighting or window location, you may need to counter reflection.

With my Paperwhite, I mostly have the brightness turned down low, trying to approximate the look of a book page, not a screen ... especially in the dark. Environment is often the governing factor though.

Last edited by Timboli; 06-08-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat78 View Post
I feel like a bit of a freak now I've just checked my Glo and realised its at 84%. I don't have the greatest eyesight but even so, it looks like I'm the only person to have made it past half way!!
I'm the same like you. For my crappy eyesight, higher light setting gives me more contrast to the text, even if I'm outdoors reading, which I need.

Just do what's comfortable for you and your eyesight.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #27
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Well, apart from reading in the dark with brightness set to 1%, for which it's great.

But I really don't see why you'd ever want to turn up the brightness to anything higher than max 10-15%.

Personally I read without the frontlight during the day/in well-lit rooms.

If you want read from a glowing screen you might as well use a smartphone or tablet. (I understand the technology is different, but still.)

Genuinely curious to hear from some people reading with the frontlight on at all times!
I usually have it no more than 30% during the day and I tone it down at night so it's not too bright around 20%
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #28
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

I think it all depends on the device and its specific lighting strength. For my money, it makes sense to have a reasonable brightness range to accommodate for sight and personal preference, but on my Aura One, I feel the range is just beastly. The top third if not half of the scale is simply too bright, to the point that reading on an LCD/IPS panel is actually better for the eyes.

I keep the brightness mostly off during the day, or perhaps on 1-3% - enough to get contrast benefits or remove any annoying shadows and such, but negligible as far as eye strain is concerned. Around dusk, I might bump it up to 4-5%, but with some night-light to bring it to a nice creamy, paper-like colour. Even in pitch-black conditions, 1% with reduced blue-light is actually pretty serviceable.

Again, for my purposes, I'd appreciate more nuance in the lower range and less brightness overall, but I do acknowledge the possibility of someone using their Aura One at 80%, no matter how incredible that seems to me. But then again, I'm on the younger side and still not wearing glasses, so for all I know I might be the outlier. Somehow, I believe that the folks using 80+ brightness on their devices simply have devices with lower brightness levels overall.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I meant it could be useful as a torch. I was making a joke about it being too bright to be useful under any other circumstances.
I've used my ereader a couple of times now to light my way to the flashlight collection during a power outage. Beats the heck out of fumbling my way there in the dark.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote