Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is considered "high brightness" on a Kindle?
Depends on which Kindle it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've always assumed the higher the brightness of the front light on my various Kindles, the more battery power used. I also use a somewhat large font, and read quickly, so more page turns, which also uses more battery life.

But I've never stressed over battery life...I use my devices in a manner that suits me, and plug them in when necessary. They "serve" me, not the other way around. Why make adjustments to how I use a device, to eek out another few minutes/hours of battery life?

Seems silly.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Depends on which Kindle it is.
I'm trying to get at how common, or what is, a "high brightness"? From Harry's post, I would be surprised if a High Brightness used more battery than say a high CPU utilization, or high wifi usage, or high Bluetooth usage.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Having the light on maximum brightness for an hour uses way more battery power than having WiFi on for an hour or reading for an hour. Try it for yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having the light on maximum brightness for an hour uses way more battery power than having WiFi on for an hour or reading for an hour. Try it for yourself.
How much more battery does WiFi use when on and trying to find a network it knows?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
How much more battery does WiFi use when on and trying to find a network it knows?
Not much, I reckon. I'm lax at enabling airplane mode and even with no wifi at the office, there doesn't appear to be a noticeable impact on battery life (at least after enabling the Prevent OTA Updates hack in KUAL).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't know what it was, adverts or a faulty book, but since swapping kindles and disabling "Offers" the battery on the bad one is fine, about 80% after nearly a week of use inc. WiFi loading of Dictionaries. The newer one is fine too with the user's books reloaded (via backups imported to Calibre to save downloading from Amazon).

The only unexpected thing about swapping (via re-registering) was the fact the Amazon supplied dictionaries vanished even though bought books had to be manually deleted (mostly copied via USB because we both "Download to PC for USB Transfer" on Amazon to ensure backups).

A mystery. I'm glad I didn't rush off and order a battery. Neither of us uses backlight and I'd use WiFi more (to look up a place in a book in Wikipedia). The owner of the PW3 that had the battery issue never turns on WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
I don't know how your house is setup in regards to your light fixtures. But part of your light problem could be the light bulbs. Try a daylight LED bulb. You get a much brighter light then you do with a warm white type of bulb. I replaced two warm white bulbs in the bathroom fixture with a single daylight LED bulb (60watt type) and it was much brighter then the two warm white bulbs.
My main lounge has a chandelier style fitting where the bulbs direct light towards the ceiling (inherited from the former owner). I have two incandescent candle-shaped 60 watt bulbs in it. My prefered set-up is a single hanging pendulum 100watt incandescent bulb (which directs light more generally) with no shade. This gives a whiter, brighter light. I find leds a bit too stark; though I do have an led desk lamp.

I don't use eco-bulbs because they are dangerous and difficult to dispose of in the uk.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't use eco-bulbs because they are dangerous and difficult to dispose of in the uk.
What?
You might need to justify that FUD just a little bit.
How are eco bulbs dangerous?

If it is the mercury issue, this is the Which view on that:
Quote:
I’ve heard that energy-saving bulbs contain mercury. Should I be worried?
No. LEDs and halogens don’t contain any mercury at all, and the small amount used in modern CFLs is very low. All the CFLs we tested were well within safety limits.

Last edited by murraypaul; 05-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What?

The issue is not that they are dangerous to use, but that you are still not supposed to simply discard them in your regular trash. Not everybody follows that. I am guilty myself of throwing my empty batteries, for example, in the trash at home.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You can't just blame screen brightness and font size for battery drain. There also are those silly authors who use full colons when a semi-colon would do...

haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #27
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What?

Apart from the mercury issue, which I think IS an issue compared to incandescent bulbs, it's the disposal. In the UK, it's illegal to put them in the general rubbish and, as far as I know, they're supposed to be taken to particular shops. A friend of mine said that the shop which sold them will have them back, but according to (I think it's called WEEE legislation) they should be taken to official council collection dumps to be disposed of properly.

I have several CFLs in a drawer in the kitchen which the prior owners had in the house. One of the first things I did was to replace them with harmless incandescents.

Given my preference for a single, bare, hanging bulb, the light from CFLs is horrid, compared to that of a 100watt incandescent. I have to buy them online, because their sale is banned in shops, but would rather do this than clear up if a CFL broke.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Given my preference for a single, bare, hanging bulb, the light from CFLs is horrid, compared to that of a 100watt incandescent. I have to buy them online, because their sale is banned in shops, but would rather do this than clear up if a CFL broke.
LEDs have pretty much replaced incandescent and CFL around here. Have you considered those?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
LEDs have pretty much replaced incandescent and CFL around here. Have you considered those?
The light is too harsh and too much exposure to LEDs is apparently a contributor to macular degeneration. And I LIKE incandescent light.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 AM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Apart from the mercury issue, which I think IS an issue compared to incandescent bulbs
I think I'm going to believe Which rather than you, no offense.

Quote:
it's the disposal. In the UK, it's illegal to put them in the general rubbish and, as far as I know, they're supposed to be taken to particular shops. A friend of mine said that the shop which sold them will have them back, but according to (I think it's called WEEE legislation) they should be taken to official council collection dumps to be disposed of properly.
Stick them in a box, next time you have to go to the tip, take them with you.

Quote:
I have several CFLs in a drawer in the kitchen which the prior owners had in the house. One of the first things I did was to replace them with harmless incandescents.
They are all harmless.
You have replaced them with bulbs that cannot be recycled, and use much more power.

Quote:
Given my preference for a single, bare, hanging bulb
Btw, that is the exact opposite to the lighting situation suggested by the macular degeneration society.

https://www.macularsociety.org/sites...13%20JAN17.pdf
Quote:
Tips for effective lighting
• Have several lights in a room rather than one bright light and position them to get an even spread of light with no dark corners.
• Shade bulbs so that they do not shine into your eyes. Check the maximum bulb rating for light shades to make sure you use the correct bulbs.
• Round paper shades are good at diffusing light in the room.
• Use uplighters to bounce light onto the ceiling and back into the room.

Last edited by murraypaul; 05-31-2019 at 05:01 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote