Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
According to what I've seen, it does sound like third party apps have to work with Apple, in other words you can't just go write an OSX program and run it on the iPhone. That pretty much makes it unfeasible as a Treo replacement for me. Plus, I suspect that the high price, questions about battery life and the Cingular-only service are going to be very limiting also. Remember that a lot of people won't switch immediately, anyway, because of existing contracts with other carriers. And when Ed Colligan said that it's hard to make a good phone, he probably knows what he is talking about. So it might not be as easy for Apple to make the iPhone a nice interface as we think. It certainly can't be determined if they got it right from a simple on stage demo.

I do think that they will eventually get it right, so my main concern is really whether or not the platform will be opened up. And I still wonder how much of OSX they have running. Wouldn't it be great to have a full OS on more smartphones!?

The other problem is that it's hard to justify too much computing power and $'s tied up in a phone device because it doubles the chance of becoming outdated, and it ties you to a carrier. I think a lot of people, myself included, probably want to keep their total smartphone cost down as there is an expectation of replacement in a year or two. At least until the technology has matured a bit more.

Still, it sure looks impressive!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Related: Our friends @ Palm Addicts launched a new site in the name of the iPhone:

Apple Phone Addict: http://palmaddict.typepad.com/tapa
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #18
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
David Beers (Software Everywhere) adds his two cents: What the iPhone means for mobile computing.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Just caught the blurb... Its NOT using Intel embedded cpu!

So unless you can get a cross compiler or it runs a std Mac widget... Would be out of luck so to speak.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Update

Not much new really, just confirmation of planned ship date:
Quote:
Apple: iPhone Ships in June Apple has confirmed the iPhone will be available in the U.S. on June 11, late 2007 in Europe.
Here's the full article, for the interested.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert