Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
tanzer21
tanzer21 began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Reader
Editing B&N epub but still able to browse cover possible?

Ok, so I've seen a lot of threads on cover browsing only being able to be used for B&N library only, however my question is, can you download your b&n epub, alter it in calibre, and then add it to the nook still in your B&N folder so you can have your cover browser without having to softroot?

I like having the cover browser and typically buy my ebooks from B&N but don't always like the line spacing or font format that comes with the epub originally so I like to alter in calibre and I'd like to be able to stick it back in as a B&N file so I can still use the cover browser in the menu below. Is that possible?
tanzer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
As far as I can tell, it is not possible. I have been trying to find a way to download direct from BN.com and put them on the nook without doing any editing and have not found a way as of yet. Nobody here seemed to have any helpful tips on that either.
Would be nice, but I think the nook will only access those books in the BN Library folder if they are downloaded from BN via wireless (WiFi or 3G)
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
tanzer21

You mean downloading from B&N on your home comp and then transferring the epub to the nook? Yeah, I don't see why that doesn't work properly either. I'll keep searching on the web to see what I can find, if I find an answer to your question as well I'll let you know. I'd rather not softroot if I don't have to. I'm going to try and edit the css manually and see if that works but I'll see what I can figure out with downloaded files as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzer21 View Post
You mean downloading from B&N on your home comp and then transferring the epub to the nook? Yeah, I don't see why that doesn't work properly either. I'll keep searching on the web to see what I can find, if I find an answer to your question as well I'll let you know. I'd rather not softroot if I don't have to. I'm going to try and edit the css manually and see if that works but I'll see what I can figure out with downloaded files as well.
All the books you copy to the Nook yourself using the USB connection must be put into the My Documents folder. This includes B&N books you download on your PC.
The B&N folder is only for books synchronized with your B&N account (using Wifi or 3G).
B&N would like you to buy your e-books at their store, that is why the B&N folder has more features (coverflow, sorting, etc) than the My documents folder.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
I actually wouldn't mind no being able to use the "My B&N Library" since I never use cover flow if the "My Documents" listing wasn't so darn bad. If the index at least looked the same as the B&N Library it'd be fine.

I've had to fix at least half of the ebooks I've gotten from B&N thus half my books are in one library and the other half in the other. It's frustrating, I'm almost willing to just convert all my books and never use the my B&N library listing at all.
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
tanzer21

So, reluctantly, I decided to try the softroot route since I couldn't find any other solutions to the cover flow issue, and since it's relatively easy to go back to the original software. And I have to say, softrooting is quite easy as well as being extremely perfect for having a cover flow page. I did it last night, followed the instructions on the site, and it's very simple. It has an extra library button that it adds that gives you the cover flow for any books you might transfer from your comp through your usb and it doesn't drain the battery as long as you aren't running the trook program or any other wifi one.

So, after not being a huge fan of the softroot option I have to say. If you want a nice cover flow for added books you should definitely go that route because the nookdev library feature works like a charm.

moon_cat, give it a try, you won't be disappointed I promise, and it's very easy
Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
I will give it some though, but I probably won't do it until I am (1) back in the US and/or (2) have a wireless connection (possibly even a reliable one)
I don't want to go forward with rooting only to find that I need an internet connection on the nook, for whatever reason... just being cautious
Having cover flow isn't that big a deal to me!
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote