Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Kindle web browser in Australia?

Well apparently it works, does anyone know how much they charge you for it?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
nothing
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You actually used it here?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
I do occasionally and have been charged zero plus GST so far
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Well apparently it works, does anyone know how much they charge you for it?
Hiya Blue Tyson,

Drew from Adelaide here... whispernet is totally free dude and always will be ... as long as it remains free in the US that is. They can't charge us for something that so many people use for free in the US (probably the same amount of people as the total of our population lol... well, maybe not, but you know what I mean).

It works really well too... gmail is awesome... very fast, very efficient interface layout... some sites can get a little crammed and the links can be a bit out of order, but its easy to get used to considering what we're paying for it some sites wont work at all... depends on what language and layout is powering the website... either way, the kindle browser lets you know when its having trouble or can't display a site at all.

Speed.... depends on if you're linked up to a 3g or 2.5g tower... either way, its faster than dialup internet and given the amount of data on a kindle screen that means its pretty good. Its steady as well.... I've only had one timeout so far and that was coz the site was undisplayable anyway.

Ciao.

Google maps has only a little map showing, but I'm looking into that considering I've seen screenshots where a google map is pretty big on the screen... apparently there is also a pseudo-gps program in our kindles that triangulates where you are and can put it onto a google map.... not a joke... Its been demo'd on tech sites.

Anyway, but to studying for exams for me.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Cool, thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Hiya Blue Tyson,

Drew from Adelaide here... whispernet is totally free dude and always will be ... as long as it remains free in the US that is. They can't charge us for something that so many people use for free in the US (probably the same amount of people as the total of our population lol... well, maybe not, but you know what I mean).
I have a blog article on their quietly enabling full web-browser for about 58 new countries (Tuesday) instead of the Wikipedia-'only' access from your current book, that the vast majority of other countries had until May.

But when they want, they can disable other-country access very fast, as they did with Canada when they had enabled access inadvertently when first releasing the Kindle over there.

Now, Canada is officially enabled. All having to do probably with deals made that make it possible for people to use the forwarding of highlights from your current book and very short notes to Facebook and Twitter via free-access 3G. Probably harder to restrict access to only Wikipedia, Facebook, and Twitter, but I don't know. They had no problem restricting it internationally for the bookstore and Wikipedia until mid-May.

The access depends on affordable deals with regional telecomms and for a long time Germany and Amazon couldn't agree to terms. Otherwise, they have to pay AT&T for access via country partners and have to pay based on a roaming fee. So maybe they worked a lot out and haven't announced that yet.

I do know that France, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
have Amazon product pages showing web-browser ineligibility as of last night, but people there are reporting their Kindles have been enabled for full web access.

Which URL are you using for gmail? I have about 4 of them and sometimes I use the most simple one but I'd like to know which one is fast for you. Thanks.

I also have a downloadable file of links to mobile-device-optimized sites in the blog article at http://bit.ly/mobiweb

That was done months ago, before v2.5.x and has some tips on what to do when you need to browse pure text info more quickly and with more readable screens.

Re Google maps, I have a small blog entry on how to do Google's Door to Door directions under http://bit.ly/kwguides

The Kindle gps was enabled to be read on Kindle 1 but not after that, so now only people who are super techs get at it.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Naw - Wish I'd got the 3g version now. I didn't realise that there'd be so much on offer.

Oh, and...

Aussie Aussie Aussie =p
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I'm in Sydney and use mine all the time when out and about. I've used it with good success to check mail a variety of mail - gmail, yahoo, my works web-based (through microsoft exchange). Also the weather, ebay, movie times and a bunch of other random stuff.

Based on that you can kinda tell that I love it
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, charges?, kindle, web browser