Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Can someone *please* talk me off the ledge?

I *love* my 300. Really love it. I read it at home, on the bus, in bed. I read novels, the NYT... I haven't read a paper book in months.

But this crazy deal on the 600! It keeps calling to me. I really really don't need another reader. Because, you know, I love my 300. But still... I am having so much trouble passing up this deal.

Can someone help convince me that I really don't need a 600?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
If you have the 300, you have to ask yourself why you want the 600? Besides a touch screen what does it offer you that the 300 does not? A larger screen is one nice feature of course. I would look at the 900 which has 16 gray scale over 8, and the ability to download books right to the reader if you can swing it.

Last edited by Keef; 05-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
sandeepp
sandeepp began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Ezreader
It depends as usual. But I prefer no glare and don’t fancy touch screen. Yes, larger screen is enticing but not enticing enough as I lose the portability factor of the reader.That is a big deal breaker for me. I can slip the 300 in my jeans pocket, jacket…and make good use of it whenever I find time like for e.g in the mall, waiting for doctors,etc. I prefer portability over the larger screen for now.
sandeepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys, you're totally right. I love the size of the 300. One of my draws to the 600 was that I've been reading the New York Times, and it can be a little tedious to click down through 3-4 links and wait for the read to catch up. Seemed like a nice idea to be able to just touch the link I wanted to read. But that's a pretty weak reason. Oh, that, and the great price break. It can be so hard to pass up a good sale, you know?

But you've done your job, I think. I will resist the urge to splurge and go off and read a good book now!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Something else to keep in mind...Sony has put out new models around October every year since the PRS-500 came out. That's why we start seeing great deals this time of the year.

If you love your 300, but tempted to get "another" reader...why not let that "other" reader be one with the newer technology? It'll be October before we know it!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Isn't this akin tro asking your drinkin' buddies to help you keep your AA pledge, while sitting in a pub?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
easy get an iPad
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
Isn't this akin tro asking your drinkin' buddies to help you keep your AA pledge, while sitting in a pub?
I know, right? Like what I'm secretly asking you to do is to enable me into buying another reader, when I don't really need it.

I'll tell you what. I am considering buying one anyway even though you all have done a great job of giving me reasons not to. I've never had much of a chance to play with a 600. And, at this price, I feel like I could off-load it on eBay without losing much (or any) money if I don't like it, or end up with buyer's remorse.

And yes, it does seem like Sony is getting ready for new models. But then again, I think it's the deal I'm attracted to and not necessarily having the latest technology.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
easy get an iPad
I have successfully dodged that bullet so far. Although that didn't keep me from answering the survey here in the hopes of winning one for free
Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict

OK -- I did it. Between the sale price and the $50 gift card I had burning a hole in my in-box, I got a brand new 600 for $147. I'll let you all know how I like it when it gets here. Thanks for your helpfulness in trying to keep me from taking the plunge. I blame only myself here.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I think you could get a pretty penny for the 300.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I think you could get a pretty penny for the 300.
If I like the 600, I'll keep both. The 600 will be primarily for reading the newspaper and out-and-about reading. The 300 I'll keep at home. At least, that's my current plan...
Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Can someone help convince me that I really don't need a 600?
I could have used help if resisting the woot.com deal on the 300.

I just bought my kids each a jetbook lite. The deal on those was $99. I also bought some rechargeable batteries to use in them. The kids have each read quite a few books and are happy with the readers. But the readers don't follow links or have a TOC feature.

Now woot came out the other day with a deal of $109 for a PRS-300. I resisted when I saw it at 3am. I came home from work around 9am and went to bed. Usually deals at woot sell out by noon. When I got up around 4pm I checked and they still had readers available.

I broke down and bought two, one for each kid. I'll let them use them for a while and decide which one they like then sell the other two on ebay.

Since I have a 505 it will make it a little easier transferring the files to my kids readers and all of the great omnibus editions here on MobileRead will be easier for them to navigate.

Haggard Anthology Vol 01-15
Dr Thorndyke Omnibus Vol 1-7
Sherlock Holmes Omnibus
The A. J. Raffles Omnibus
The Fu-Manchu Omnibus
The Complete Professor Challenger Stories
The Jungle Tales Of Tarzan Vol 1,2,3,4,5
Charlie Chan Omnibus
John Carter's Chronicles of Mars
Carson of Venus
The Complete Moon Trilogy
The Land That Time Forgot Trilogy
Pellucidar, The Inner World

And the list goes on.

Alright now I'm just justifying my decision.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-23-2010 at 03:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote