Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Ender's Game

So, I'm not typically a sci-fi fan, I usually stick to just plain fiction. But my husband talked me into reading Ender's Game. IT IS SO GOOD!! So right now, even if you aren't a scifi reader-write this down: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and get reading it immediately! You'll love it!!

Any one else been surprised by a great book in a genre they generally aren't into?
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
It's a nice book, the first sequel is great too. After that it may be painful to read the books...
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I read Speaker for the Dead and enjoyed it. I'm stuck on Xenocide though.

Okay, I confess: I gave up. I put it to the side for a rainy, desperate day. I'm sure it's good, just not right after two great books ya know?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I agree. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are great books.

After that, it's just time to stop. (Haven't read Ender's Shadow or any of the more recent books. But Xenocide and the next sequel...just not the same at all)
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
It doesn't seem to exist in legit ebook format. I wonder if Card doesn't like ebooks, or just hasn't realized there'd be a market for his books? Ender's Game was first published long enough ago to have missed automatic ebook clauses in the contracts.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I've read the entire Ender series twice, and some of them thrice. Either they are very good or I need to get a life.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
For those of you who like Ender's Game, you might also like Ender's Shadow. It was written fourth (?) in the series, but it tells the story of Bean. It isn't a sequel or a prequel. It is told at the same time that Ender's Game is, but you see the back story of Bean and battle school through his eyes. I think I actually like it better than Ender's Game and I really enjoyed Ender's Game.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Also Songmaster might interest you if you liked Ender's Game
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
jenieliser
Groupie

A few of Card's book are available as ebooks, Shadow Puppets for instance, but not the ones he's best known for. Strange eh? Maybe they're in the works? Hope so!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
jenieliser
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
Also Songmaster might interest you if you liked Ender's Game
Thanks! I was looking for a book to read next.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
For those of you who like Ender's Game, you might also like Ender's Shadow. It was written fourth (?) in the series, but it tells the story of Bean. It isn't a sequel or a prequel. It is told at the same time that Ender's Game is, but you see the back story of Bean and battle school through his eyes. I think I actually like it better than Ender's Game and I really enjoyed Ender's Game.
Ender's Shadow is surely a great read, especially the beginning of the book. It has the same energies as in the first book. Unfortunately it becomes repetitive as the story unveils... But it surely is worth the time.
The other shadow books are a disaster.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Orson Scott Card is my favorite author and Ender is the book that got me hooked. Unlike some on this thread -- I've enjoyed ALL of the Ender books.

I just finished "Earthfall" -- the final book in the Homecoming Saga series also by Card.

The "Alvin Maker" series is terrific as well.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I agree 100 percent. Ender and Speaker are really good but I could never get through Xenocide. And Enders Shadow is good too.

I just checked Apple's iBookstore with the iPad and they have all of the Ender books, most are $7-$8. They have 32 OSC ebooks! I also checked Amazon and Kobo and they only had a few. Crazy world.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I've read them all and I just finished Ender in Exile. I enjoyed all of them but agree that Ender and Speaker are the best.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
I just checked Apple's iBookstore with the iPad and they have all of the Ender books, most are $7-$8. They have 32 OSC ebooks! I also checked Amazon and Kobo and they only had a few. Crazy world.
That's very encouraging. I've been wanting to read Ender's Game after all the recomendations, but can't find an ebook. Your sure Ender's game is an ebook and not an audio book?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote