Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Lets find some media sticks for this device.

What are some good sticks out there, and what's the best price you've found for them?

I did find one for a 512 SanDisk Secure Digital Card. It's $12.49 shipped from Amazon.com (that's including tax).

So what have you found?

or should we wait for the Sony Reader to come out?
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
I work at a store with one of those DIY photo print kiosks. For all the cards that people leave in that machine, I'm sure I could beat Amazon.

Of course, they usually come back asking for them...
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
http://www.mymemory.co.uk

have 2GB Kingston cards for £17.99
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
http://www.mymemory.co.uk

have 2GB Kingston cards for £17.99
Wow, that's a huge card. That would be way over 2000 books. It seems like it would be too big for me, but that's just me.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Will it be possible to put the card in the device, and use the USB hookup to drag and drop onto the card?

I think I'll need to get a reader
Advert
Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
Will it be possible to put the card in the device, and use the USB hookup to drag and drop onto the card?
Okay, did some digging, and found part of an answer for you. It looks like if you use the Connect software to put things on the Reader you'll be able to choose whether it goes into a memory card or internal memory. Of course that would only apply to the file types that the Connect Software recognizes, any others it probably won't pass at all.

If you're not using the Sony software, it appears that it may be possible to put stuff directly onto the card through the Reader over USB, but it looks like that is something that we'll have to work for ourselves out how to do. (shrug)

I'd recommend investing the ~$10 in a card reader, just to avoid the hassle. We have a nifty mouse/SD card reader combo that we got when at the same time we bought our digital camera -- it does the job and doesn't take up extra desk space, always a plus.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
I have a 512 Mb Sony MS Pro Duo (it came with my Cybershot DSC T-5) and a 256 Mb MMC card (unused right now).
Now, I don't have the slightest idea whether either of them will work with the eReader. There are many different types of MS cards, and sometimes SD-capable devices can also read MMC. For instance, my previous camera supported both SD and MMC, and card readers offer the same slot for both formats.
Moreover, some devices have problems with cards over 512 Mb. Has Sony ever said what's the maximum capacity for cards in this device?

I was planning to use cards as backup storage-only. For instance, I first transfer ebooks to the card, and then copy them to the internal memory. That's if the device software lets me, of course. That way I expect to save on loading times and battery.

So many questions! So many details to know about the device! Release it already, Sony!
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
I have a 512 Mb Sony MS Pro Duo (it came with my Cybershot DSC T-5) and a 256 Mb MMC card (unused right now).
Now, I don't have the slightest idea whether either of them will work with the eReader.
I think the MS Pro Duo will probably work, but you'll need an adaptor, as I believe they're smaller than the original Memory Sticks. The Reader uses the straight, original Memory Stick. What I don't know is whether the copy protection circuit on the MS Pro will prevent it from talking to the Reader -- you may have to make sure you put your Reader files in some sort of unsecured directory to get the Reader to be able to see them. I've never worked with Memory Sticks, so I'm going on what I've read and guesswork here, so take that last sentence well salted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
There are many different types of MS cards, and sometimes SD-capable devices can also read MMC. For instance, my previous camera supported both SD and MMC, and card readers offer the same slot for both formats.
I think the usual deal is that if it reads SD it'll take MMC, but not necessarily the other way around. I know iRex changed their specs from "MMC/SD support" to just "MMC Support" when the iLiadites started discovering that a lot of their SD's didn't work. I make it a general rule to buy only SD cards (<sarcasm> and I buy so many </sarcasm>), maybe someone more familiar with the differences between SD & MMC can comment?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

So is my find of $12.49 the lowest anyone has found?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
So is my find of $12.49 the lowest anyone has found?
Yup, for a 512MB, it looks like that's the best price -- you win your own game!

Hey, now, wait a minute....
Old 08-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...82E16820160024) is the exact card that is located on Amazon for $12.49, I posted the link to newegg because it has about 174 people commenting on this specific card. It seems like it has been reviewed pretty well.

Here is the link to Amazon selling it for 12.49 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...070517?ie=UTF8)

It's from eMartbuy
Old 09-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Is the hardware for this device final?
I am wondering if I should wait before I buy any memory
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Is the hardware for this device final?
I am wondering if I should wait before I buy any memory
Well, best info is that they're aiming for October launch -- it had better be pretty final!
Old 09-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well, best info is that they're aiming for October launch -- it had better be pretty final!

I hope it's an October 1st release. The desire to have this device is amazing. I honestly feel like it's Christmas time, and I have to wait to open my presents
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Really? I know Sony has myriads of departments inside, but...

Engadget on PS3 manufacturing delay

and

PS3 graphics card clock (unconfirmed, but still possible)

It's Sony, anything may happen. They are probably more busy with the content rather than the Reader, though. SW and HW looks pretty final to me.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote